Featured on

Australia ETA Frequently Asked Questions

Australia ETA Frequently Asked Questions
iVisa | Updated on Feb 27, 2019

When should I apply for the Australia e-visa?

The application of an Australia Visa can be issued from 12 months prior to the arrival date up to just a couple days before.

What is an Australian ETA?

An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), unlike a traditional visa, is a travel document electronically linked to your passport. It is required for entrance into Australia and can be obtained from the airport or at an online travel agent.

However, to ease up the process iVisa offers you a more user-friendly platform for you to apply for your Australia ETA

NOTE - Not all countries qualify for the ETA, refer to our website for a list of qualified countries:

Alt Text

How does the Australia ETA look like?

Alt Text

Detailed Information on your Australian ETA:

  • Family Name: Only your surname will be shown. Pre/Suffixes will not be listed (Jr,Sr,Mr/Mrs,S/O).
  • Given Name: First, Second, and any other given names listed on your passport.
  • Passport: The number of your passport, nationality, and expiration date.
  • Date of Birth, Sex, and COB: Your gender as M/F (Male/Female) and Country of Birth listed in its 3-digit country code
  • Type of Travel T = Visitor/Tourist, B = Business Short-Validity.
  • Entry Status: Official response from the Department of Immigration of Australia.
  • Visa Status: If approved, visa states ETA Approved. If not, we will e-mail you what is required.
  • Time Stamp: This is the date and time of when your visa was issued by the government. of Australia.
  • Visa Expiry Date: This will be your last day to enter Australia. Note, you can stay beyond this date, but less than 3 months.

What are the name format Rules & Examples for the Australian ETA?

It's important to enter your name in the correct order, see below for more info:

Alt Text

Special Characters Special characters must be converted to English characters (examples: Ü, Æ, Ö, Ă).

Spacing Be sure to leave spaces between your names, when listed on the passport.

Bin/Binte S/O,D/O Do NOT include any of these abbreviations

Name Prefixes/Sufixes Do NOT list name suffixes (JR/SR/III) or Name Prefixes (MS/MR/MISS)

Apostrophes & Hyphens Include all apostrophes, except when there is a space on either side of the apostrophe.

(Example: O'Toole should be entered as is but 'Alofa should be entered as Alofa).

Are you affiliated with the Australian Government?

No, we are not affiliated with the Australian Government, we are a private company issuing the Australian ETA or visa for Australia.

I will work as a volunteer in Australia.

In general, eVisitor Australia Visa holders can not work in Australia. However, you might be able to work as a volunteer if:

  • Your main purpose in visiting Australia is tourism and the voluntary work is incidental to tourism
  • The work is genuinely voluntary and you are not paid for it, other than for meals, accommodation
  • The work would not otherwise be done in return for wages by an Australian resident

I have a stop in Australia to travel to another country

You will need a Transit Visa if you plan to travel through Australia to another country, but certain rules apply. The following categories of travelers are eligible to transit through Australia without applying for a visa.

Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kiribati, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Monaco, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom (including its colonies), United States of America, Vanuatu and Vatican. Residents of Hong Kong holding a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport or a British National Overseas (BNO) passport. Residents of Taiwan holding a passport issued by the authorities of Taiwan (other than passports purported to be official or diplomatic passports).

  • Diplomatic passport holders, excluding holders of: Arab Non-National Passports; and

  • Diplomatic passports from the following countries: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Bahrain, Comoros, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Madagascar, Mauritania, Morocco, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia,Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Tunisia, Yemen and Zimbabwe.

Eligible travelers must be able to meet the following criteria to be permitted to transit Australia without applying for a visa. Travelers must:

  • Enter Australia by aircraft
  • Hold a confirmed onward booking to leave Australia to travel to a third country on the same or another aircraft within 8 hours of arrival in Australia
  • Hold documentation necessary to enter the country of destination
  • Not need to leave the airport transit lounge except to continue their journey.

NOTES - If passengers are required to pass through Immigration clearance and check-in to their onward flight, including managing their luggage, they will require a visa to enter Australia. An appropriate visa for this purpose will need to be applied for and granted before traveling to Australia. You can [get your visa for Australia at /visa-australia

I am traveling with my children to Australia

Each child traveling must obtain an ETA before departing. Each application is separately processed and cannot be joined with your own. If your child or children are linked to your passport, you still need to submit individual applications. Each children need a visa to Australia updated and valid

I want to know what are the requirements for the ETA to Australia

Requirements for the Australia visa or ETA Visa are as follow,

You must:

  • Be outside Australia
  • Visit for the purpose of tourism or business
  • Be a passport holder of the following countries: Andorra, Austria Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece Hong Kong (SAR), Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein,, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Portugal, Republic of San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, The Netherlands, United Kingdom – British Citizen, United Kingdom – British Overseas, United States of America, Vatican City

I want to know if the ETA offers multiple entries or only one entry to Australia

An ETA/Visitors e-visa allows the holder to travel to Australia with a visa entry as many times as required within the validity period which is 12 months from the date of issue. The maximum length of each visit is 3 months, you may extend your stay if you wish - more info here: -can-i-extend-my-evisitors-visa-to-australia-.

I am applying to an Online Australian Visitors Visa. How long does it take?

Since the process is done electronically, it’s done quickly. You don’t need to apply months in advance, however, it’s recommended you get one at least 24 hours before you plan to depart.

You can apply here to receive your visa to Australia within 24 hours.This allows for any problems to be resolved without delaying travel. We always recommend applying more than 24 hours beforehand to avoid problems.

My ETA expired while I was in Australia, is this ok?

As long as you entered Australia with your official visa while your ETA was valid and you exit within the next 3 months, you are good.

For example, if your ETA said: "AUTHORITY TO ENTER AUSTRALIA UNTIL 26 DEC 2014 , PERIOD OF STAY 03 MTHS" And you entered on December 20th 2014, you could then stay in Australia until March 20th.**

I lost my passport in Australia, what about my visa, should I reapply?

If you get a new passport while you are in Australia, you do not need to apply for another visa (or ETA) as long as the one you have is still valid.

Bear in mind that if you loose your passport before entering Australia, you will need to reapply for a new visa or ETA, since this visa is electronically linked to your passport number. You can reapply here.

How can I retrieve my Australia visa?

REMEMBER - We always send you your Australian ETA/e-visa by email within 1 business day. Please check your SPAM folder if you have not received it. If you applied on our site then you can LOGIN to your online account generated automatically for you after applying for your Australia Visa online (See confirmation email example attached below) All you need to do is click on the link in your confirmation email in order to setup a password OR if needed you may also reset your passport here: login/forgot_password

Alt Text

NOTE - We migrated to a new visa processing system as of April 1st, 2015. If you would like to retrieve a visa that was processed with us prior to this date, please click here: /login to open a ticket and request the visa or chat with us online for faster results.

If you applied for your Australia e-visa at the government website, please visit that site directly to retrieve your visa.

I will go to Australia for Medical treatment, can I apply for the ETA?

No. If you intend to visit Australia for medical treatment, then you should not apply for a Visitor visa.

You will have to contact your local Australian mission for more information regarding your visa application.

I will be in Australia for 5 months as an educational visitor to a university, Can I apply online?

No, you will have to contact your nearest Australian Embassy for more info. We only offer tourist visas for up to 3 months.

I'll be traveling to Australia with my APEC Business Travel Card. How long can I stay?

The minimum period of stay granted to a cardholder is two (2) months / The maximum period of stay granted to a cardholder is three (3) months.

I have an APEC Card. Do I still need my passport to travel to Australia?

Remember that your passports remain the main identification document when traveling abroad. A cardholder presents his or her APEC Business Travel Card on arrival and departure, but will also be required to present the cardholder's passport when arriving in Australia, so you will need to have both valid documents.

Do I still need visa for entry into APEC Economies?

No, APEC holders will need no visa for APEC Economies which already grant pre-clearance. The granting of pre-clearance is in the discretion of each APEC Economy.

NOTE - Any participating economy has the right to withdraw pre-clearance after card issue. Under this situation, the holders will be informed and will then need a visa.

I want to know what are the benefits of holding an APEC Business Travel Card

APEC holders who are granted pre-clearance will be able to travel to, enter and undertake legitimate business in participating economies for a minimum of two months. The APEC is valid for three years. Faster processing on arrival at major airports is a further benefit enjoyed by cardholders.

My country is not on the list of countries who can apply for the Australian ETA/eVisitors Visa, what now?

You need to contact your nearest Australian embassy for more information:

Australian Embassy to Belgium Address:Level 7 Avenue des Arts 56, Brussels 1000 Belgium Telephone +32 2 286 0500 E-mail address General enquiries: Austemb.Brussels@dfat.gov.au

Australian Embassy, China (People's Republic of) Address: 21 Dongzhimenwai Dajie, Sanlitun, Beijing 100600, China (People's Republic of) Telephone +86 10 5140 4111

Australian Consulate-General in Frankfurt, Germany Address: Australian Consulate General Main Tower - 28th Floor, Neue Mainzer Strasse 52-58, 60311 Frankfurt, Germany Telephone +49 69 9055 80

Australian High Commission, United Kingdom Address: Australia House, The Strand, London WC 2B 4LA, United Kingdom Telephone +44 20 7379 4334

Australian Embassy, United States of America Address: 1601 Massachusetts Ave, Washington DC NW 20036-2273, United States of America Telephone +1 202 797 3000

Which APEC economies participate in the scheme?

There are 19 economies of APEC fully participate in the scheme:

Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, China, Hong Kong (China), Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, PNG, Peru, the Philippines, the Russian Federation, Singapore, Chinese Taipei, Thailand, Vietnam.

The remaining 2 economies (Canada and the United States of America) are transitional members of the scheme.

I have the eVisitors Visa in Australia

Your eVisitor lets you:

  • enter Australia for up to three months
  • have a holiday or visit family and friends in Australia
  • study in Australia for up to three months in some circumstances volunteer in some circumstances
  • engage in business visitor activities while in Australia provided you: do not work for or provide services to, a business or organization do not sell goods or service

I am a business visitor

Business visitors activities include the following:

  • Making general business or employment enquiries
  • Investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
  • Activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit
  • Participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organizers for your participation

What is the difference between a tourism and business trip?

  • The Australia visa for Tourism includes holidays, recreation and visiting family and or friends

  • Business activities include attending a conference, negotiation or an exploratory business visit, etc.

I want to apply for the Australia Working Holiday Visa

We only do applications for the Australia ETA and Australia Visitors Visa. You will need to contact your local Australian Embassy for info regarding the Working Holiday Visa. To kickstart your application, see below for country eligibility requirements. You must hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia in order to apply.

Eligible countries are:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of * China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

Is the service charge for the Australia Visa per person, or per application group?

The service charge is $20 per person, regardless of the number of applicants.

I made a mistake with my personal information when completing my Australian ETA form online, what should I do?

If you made a mistake when entering your data then please contact our customer service representatives as soon as possible via online chat to assist you.

Please note that your e-Visa is linked to your passport number, if we already submitted your application, you can not make any changes and you will have to apply again and we charge a fee of $5.95 USD for a re-application.

I am getting a new passport, will my ETA still be valid if I change passports?

No. Your Australian ETA is linked to your passport number, if you get a new passport, then you will have to re-apply for a new ETA.

My Australia tourism visa/ETA will expire soon. Any instant way to renew it or do I have to re-apply?

Your ETA can not be renewed. You will need to re-apply for a new Australian ETA if you are planning to travel to Australia after your visa´s validity period expires.

You can apply here, we deliver within 24 hours: https://www.ivisa.com

Is this website secure to apply for the Australia ETA online?

Yes. We have been helping thousands of travelers since 2008 and the Government of Australia fully accepts applications processed by specialized third parties like us.

Only the data required to process your application will be collected and it will be used only for this purpose, we do not share any of your data with third parties. Our payment gateway has also been designed in accordance with the international standards.

See here what our customers say about our service: /testimonials/

Who are all the Schengen countries?

Schengen countries:



Czech Republic
























I need to apply for the APEC Business Travel Card Program

You must apply on the Global Online Enrollment System, or GOES website, its the same website that is used to apply for CBP’s trusted traveler programs.

  1. Click the box in GOES for the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card.
  2. Then schedule a visit to any CBP trusted traveler enrollment center for an interview (if you are not already a CBP trusted traveler) and for electronic signature collection.

Here is more info

Can I get a refund for my Australian ETA / e-visa?

If your Australian e-Visa has NOT been processed, we will refund you the cost of the Visa Fee, not the service fee.

If your Australian e-Visa has been processed we will not be able to offer a refund.

I am trying to log in online for my Australia Visa but can not, what should I do?

REMEMBER - The "Retrieve Visa" service is only available for tourists that processed their Australia ETA/Visa with us.

If you applied on our site and you CANNOT retrieve your visa from the Customer Area then please contact us via online chat or you may also send us an online inquiry by clicking on this link: /apply-online/

Are you affiliated with the government of Australia?

No. We are not related to the government of Australia.

We are a private company that provides a valuable service to process your Australian ETA / Visa.

Our company processes visas for countries all across the globe. We are a travel agency that started the business because governments built poor websites and our clients were frustrated.

Our value proposition is:

1) Save you time and frustration

2) Provide 24/7 chat and phone support

3) Mobile friendly experience

4) Accept all forms of payment including PayPal and Amex

5) Accept multi-currencies

6) Easy visa retrieval process

7) Allow you to easily process more than 1 application at a time

8) Provide language translation of our website 9) Lowest service fee of private visa processors.

On our website, we have several disclaimers about the service fee. In addition, during the checkout process the service fee is detailed.

What type of visas can I get through iVisa.com?

  • If you plan on working in Australia you will need to contact any of the Australian Embassies/Consulate Generals or a work visa processing agency.

  • If you are visiting Australia for tourism, and your trip is three (3) months or less, a tourist subclass 601 visa (ETA) is your best option. You can get it at /apply-online/australia

  • If you are visiting for basic non-working business like meetings, conferences or seminars, you are required to purchase a subclass 601 business visa (ETA). Both visas are available online through /apply-online/australia

I can not apply online, what are the numbers for the Australian Call Center internationally?

Alt Text

Tips when traveling to Australia

Traveling or living in another country can be exciting and rewarding. BUT it can also carry potential risks. Australia is generally a safe destination for travelers with a low crime rate and some of the best health standards in the world.

Before traveling to Australia, as with any country, you should: 1) Do some research on the country, including seeking advice from family and friends who may have already visited Australia. 2) Know exactly where you are going (Australia is a huge country offering different experiences in the cities, the outback or the tropics.) 3) Have emergency numbers handy (Sometimes, as with traveling to foreign countries, things go wrong. You should prepare for your trip to ensure you have a safe and healthy stay in Australia.)

Visit Australia's official tourism website for information when planning your trip.

I did not get a confirmation number when applying for the Australian ETA

No, we do not provide confirmation numbers when applying for Australian ETA.

The Australian ETA is electronically linked to your passport, so any travel agent, airline or immigration officer can check the validity of your passport to enter the country. If you want to confirm with the Australian Immigration Department, you can call them with your personal data (passport, name and surname) +1 613 238 1040 (International call cost will apply)

Do I need Travel insurance when traveling to Australia?

Travel Insurance is NOT mandatory but it is advised. A policy covering you for flight cancellations/delays, theft, loss, accidents and medical problems before you leave home is strongly recommended, particularly if you plan on doing any adventure activities such as scuba diving, bushwalking or traveling in remote areas.

What are the timezones in Australia?

Australia is divided into three (3) separate time zones:

  1. Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) covers the eastern states of Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania & the Australian Capital Territory. AEST is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 10 hours (UTC +10).
  2. Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) covers the state of South Australia, the town of Broken Hill in western New South Wales and the Northern Territory. ACST is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 9½ hours (UTC +9½).
  3. Australian Western Standard Time (AWST) covers Western Australia. AWST is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 8 hours (UTC +8).

I have a refugee travel document. Can I travel with it instead of a passport?

No. All travelers who wish to apply online for their Australian ETA need to have a valid passport document.

If you have a refugee travel document, then you need to contact the nearest Australian Embassy to apply.

How does the Australian ETA validity work, how long is it valid?

The Australian ETA visa is valid for either 12 months from the issue date, the expiry of your passport, or potentially earlier if a current visa already exists in the immigration system.

This is the last day you can entry the country.

NOTE - The Australian ETA visa is a multiple entry visa allowing a maximum of 3 months per visit. You are permitted to stay beyond your visa's validity date, but not beyond the 3-month maximum per trip. If you want to extend your visa while in Australia, then you may do so. Click here for more info on how to extend your Australian visa.

What is the validity of the Australia ETA

The ETA visa is valid for either 12 months from the issue date, the expiry of your passport, or potentially earlier if a current visa already exists in the immigration system. The Australian ETA visa is a multiple entry visa allowing a maximum of 3 months per visit.

You are permitted to stay beyond your visa's validity date, but not beyond the 3-month maximum per trip.

What is the National ID for Hong Kong nationals?

The Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) contains a person´s HKID number, of which the standard format is X123456(A).

  • X represents one (1) or two (2) letters of the alphabet.
  • Numerals may represent a Arabic number.
  • A is the check digit, which has 11 possible values from 0 to 9 and A.
  • The letters and numbers are not assigned arbitrarily.

What is the National ID for Malaysia nationals?

The Malaysian ID is a 12-digit number (format: YYMMDD-SS-###G, since 1991) known as the National Registration Identification Card Number (NRIC No.) is issued to citizens and permanent residents on a MyKad.

What is the National ID for Brunei nationals?

Brunei uses a National Registration Identity Card system, which is issued to all citizens aged 12 and over. All citizens are issued with a unique NRIC Identity Card number.

Brunei issues three (3) types of national smart identity cards (SIC):

  1. Smart Identity Card (Yellow) - Citizens of Brunei Darussalam
  2. Smart Identity Card (Purple) - Permanent Residents of Brunei Darussalam
  3. Smart Identity Card (Green) - Foreigners staying in the country for a period of more than 3 months. You can get more info here: https://www.brunei.gov.bn/SitePages/Home.aspx

What is the National ID for Singapore nationals?

The Singapore National Registration Identity Card (NRIC) is issued to Singapore citizens and permanent residents. Citizens and permanent residents are issued with identity number starts with prefix S (born before 2000) and T (born in or after year 2000), followed with a 7-digit number and a checksum alphabet. For citizens and permanent residents born after 1968, the first two digits of the 7-digit number indicate their birth year.

You can visit the government page for more info.

I will study in Australia

The ETA we will provide is valid for a maximum stay of 3 months in Australia. You may study up to 3 months in Australia with the ETA, BUT if you wish to stay in Australia for a period longer than 3 months then you will have to exit Australia and fly back to your country, get an appointment with the Australian embassy and stamp the student visa in your passport.

We recommend that if you are staying for more than 3 months in Australia to study then you need to apply for a student visa at your nearest Australian Embassy.

How does the Australia ETA work and what is my reference number?

The ETA subclass 600, or Electronically Travel Authority (ETA) for travel to Australia was implemented in 1996. The Australian Government allowed specialized travel agencies, airlines and Australian visa agents to issue ETAs.

  • The ETA is NOT stamped in your passport, it's electronically attached, which means any airline, immigration officer or travel agent can check the validity of an ETA with your passport number. You must travel to Australia with the same passport as the one you used to apply at iVisaServices.

The reference number most people refer to is the one issued by the Australian Government Department of Immigration which allows travelers to check the status of their visa while it's being issued.

NOTE - We do not provide any reference numbers since we already provide a valid visa.

What info will be on my Australian Visa/ETA?

Within 24 hours of applying you will receive a confirmation e-mail regarding your Australian ETA visa status given to us by the Australian Department of Immigration. Below, we've gathered some information that may be of help if you have questions:

Alt Text

Detailed Information on your Australian ETA:

  • Family Name Pre/Suffixes will not be listed (Jr,Sr,Mr/Mrs,S/O) only your surname will show here.
  • Given Name First, Second, any other given names listed on your passport.
  • Passport Your passport number, nationality, and expiration date.
  • Date of Birth, Sex, COB Your gender as M/F (Male/Female) and Country of Birth listed in its 3-digit country code
  • Type of Travel T = Visitor/Tourist, B = Business Short-Validity.
  • Entry Status Official response from the Department of Immigration of Australia.
  • Visa Status If approved, visa states ETA Approved. If not, we will e-mail you what is required.
  • Time Stamp This is the date and time of when your visa was issued by the government. of Australia.
  • Visa Expiry Date This is your last day to enter Australia. Note, you can stay beyond this date, but less than 3 months.

I am Indian, should I add all my family names or what are the format rules for the Australian ETA?

Indian Names

Do NOT include:

  • S/O (son of)
  • D/O (daughter of)
  • A/L or AL (anak lelaki)
  • A/P or AP (anak perempuan)
  • A/K or AK (anak kepada)
  • W/O

Family/Given Names

  • Given names are names appearing before S/O, D/O, A/L, A/P, A/K and W/O.
  • Family name are names appearing after S/O, D/O, A/L, A/P, A/K and W/O.


  • Family Name: KOLANTHAN
  • Given Name(s):K SUGUMARAN
  • Family Name: BALWANT SINGH
  • Given Name(s):GURDIP KAUR GILL
  • Family Name: KAUR
  • Given Name(s):GURDIP

I have an Malay/Muslim name, what are the name format rules when applying for the Australian ETA online?

Malay/Muslim Names

Do NOT include:

  • Bin
  • Bte
  • Binte
  • Bt
  • B.
  • YB
  • Y.BHG.
  • Tunku
  • Haji
  • HJ
  • Hajjah
  • Y.A.M.
  • Y.M.
  • Tan Sri
  • Ungku
  • Pengiran


Name change after marriage where you have adopted your spouse's full name: MRS ABRAHAM ELIAS NEE REUBEN YAHYA MATILDA Family Name: REUBEN Given Name(s):YAHYA MATILDA



I have a Chinese name, what are the name format rules when applying for the Australian ETA online?

Chinese Names

Format Rules: If you have a Western style name appearing first in your passport, then the Western style name should be input first in the given names field (see example below). Do not input alias names, Hanyu Pinyin or names in brackets (see examples below). EXAMPLES: Western Style Name LILIAN TAN SU LIN Family Name: TAN Given Name(s):LILIAN SU LIN




I have a Western name, what are the name format rules when applying for the Australian ETA online?

Western Names

Format Rules:

  • Do not include titles such as Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms.
  • Do not include descriptions such as Jr, Junior, Senior, II, III, IV Enter whole names only
  • If your name in your passport has non-standard English characters in it such as Umlauts (Ü - letters with dots above them) or diacritic markings (Ó - letters with accents above them), use the English spelling of your name in the Machine Readable Zone of your passport (see example above).


Descriptions MR CHARLES TOLES III Family Name: TOLES Given Name(s):CHARLES

How do I know my Australian ETA is official?

We are a specialized service provider issuing official Australian ETAs since 2012.

How does the Electronic Travel Authority work? ETAs are issued electronically by computer links between the Department, travel agents, airlines and specialist service providers like us around the world. We enter the information contained in the applicant's passport into the ETA system- The ETA system interacts with departmental systems to check the applicant's details. Following these checks, the service provider is advised of the outcome of the ETA application.

If an ETA is granted, it is linked electronically to the applicant's passport. If a 'referral' message is received instead, the service provider refers the applicant to the nearest Australian visa office.

No evidence of the ETA is needed, as it is electronically stored in the system. An ETA is linked electronically to the passport. Its details can be seen by staff at airlines, travel agencies and Australian border agencies.

How does the Electronic Travel Authority look like?

Alt Text

What are the benefits of applying for the Australian ETA/e-visa online?

The Australian ETA arrangements provide significant benefits to travelers wishing to visit Australia. See below for a few examples:

  • The ETA provides a seamless process for providing authority to travel to Australia from places where airline tickets are obtained. Faster processing at airports.
  • Airlines benefit by utilizing computer systems to verify that travelers have authority to enter Australia.
  • This saves airline staff time at the check-in counter and reduces their likelihood of transporting improperly documented passengers.
  • The Australian Government benefits by gaining access to data on all travelers to Australia.
  • This supports maintenance of Australian border integrity by law enforcement and health authorities.

Can I get a visa on arrival?

No, you need to apply for your visa to Australia BEFORE you arrive in Australia.

Share this article on
Need Help?