Learn More: eVisa
ETHIOPIA IS OPEN- Ethiopia re-opened for tourism on 23 September 2020.
Since June 2018, citizens from all over the globe have been eligible for an Ethiopian online visa (e-Visa). By applying online, travelers are no longer required to visit a consulate and apply in person. Submit all the required documentation and the fee payment online. This streamlined system cuts out time spent waiting in lines at the embassy and the border.
The Ethiopia Tourist e-Visa is an official document issued electronically by the Main Department of Immigration and Nationality Affairs. Applicants will receive their visa via email after filling out the application form with the necessary information.
Unvaccinated travelers aged 12 and older must display a negative test result to enter the country. The test must be taken within 72 hours for PCR or 24 hours for antigen prior to arrival.
See the FAQs below for quarantine rules.
Required Documents to Apply
Passport Personal Details Scan
Last Page of Passport (if applicable)
The validity of an Ethiopian e-Visa starts from the date you intend to enter Ethiopia, not from the date of issue.
You need to have an ordinary passport with at least 6 months of validity from the date you intend to enter Ethiopia.
Travelers who apply for a tourist visa must have their passport/residence permit valid for at least six months from the planned date of entry.
Applicants who claim that to have a permanent residence permit in one of the eligible countries must upload the valid residence permit document.
The e-Visa is for tourism and family visits to Ethiopia only (no work or business activities are allowed).
You can use this type of visa ONLY if you plan to arrive by airplane to Addis Ababa Bole International Airport (at the moment, the e-Visa is not valid at any other border posts).
IMPORTANT: If you apply from a country other than the country of your nationality (for example, you are Canadian, but apply from the US), then you will be required to show your residence permit when you arrive in Ethiopia – this can be a letter or visa sticker in your passport.
Was this page helpful?
Our customers have great stories about us
Frequently Asked Questions
Is iVisa.com a legitimate company?
Our Company is accredited and recognized by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and has a validated IATA Agency Code. If you want to check this information you can verify our membership using our bearing No. 23716873 at http://store.iata.org/ieccacfree.
Remember that the customer service team at iVisa.com is here 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about our service.
Do I need a COVID vaccine or vaccination certificate to enter Ethiopia?
No, you don't. As of today, COVID vaccination passports or certificates are not mandatory to enter Ethiopia.
Approved vaccines are Johnson and Johnson, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm, Sinovac, Moderna, and Pfizer. You are considered vaccinated if all doses of a vaccine against SARS-Cov-2 have been administered for at least two weeks before traveling.
Since information may change quickly, we advise you to follow up on the latest Ethiopia travel updates and/or contact your local embassy.
Do I need a COVID-19 test result to enter Ethiopia?
- COVID test prior to arrival: PCR within 72 hours or antigen within 24 hours for unvaccinated travelers.
- COVID test exemptions: Children under 12 and fully vaccinated travelers
Do I need to quarantine when I get to Ethiopia?
- Quarantine requirements: There are no quarantine requirements.
Is There a visa to Ethiopia?
What is an Ethiopian e-Visa?
What do I need to apply for an Ethiopia e-Visa?
We require the following to submit your application:
Applicant Photo Passport Personal Details Scan Last Page of Passport (if applicable)
Passport Personal Details Scan
Last Page of Passport (if applicable)
How much is the cost of the Ethiopia e-Visa?
How long does it take to process an Ethiopian e-Visa?
- Standard Processing: 3 Business Days
- Rush Processing: 2 Business Days
- Super Rush Processing: 12 hours
How long is the e-Visa valid for?
Unlike many other visas that start their validity from the date they’re issued, the Ethiopian e-Visa's validity starts from when you intend to enter the country. So your e-Visa will be valid for 30 days after arrival or 90 days after arrival in Ethiopia, depending on the e-Visa type you choose.
NOTE: The validity period is different from the duration of stay, which is 30 days in Total or 90 days in Total. Duration of stay CANNOT exceed the validity period of the visa. For example, if you change your plans after the visa is issued and your arrival date is 10 days later than what is on the e-Visa, your validity is 20 or 80 days. Thus, the maximum duration of your stay is 20 or 80 days.
NOTE: The validity period is different than the duration of stay which is 30 days in Total or 90 days in Total. Duration of stay CANNOT exceed the validity period of the visa. For example, if you change your plans after the visa is issued and your arrival date is 10 days later than what is on the e-Visa, your validity is 20 or 80 days. Thus, the maximum duration of your stay is 20 or 80 days.
How long should my passport be valid for if I want to apply for the Ethiopia e-Visa online?
How many entries come with the e-Visa to Ethiopia?
What are the yellow fever vaccination requirements to travel to Ethiopia?
A yellow fever vaccine is required if traveling from a country with risk of yellow fever transmission.
More information in the following link:
How will I receive my e-Visa once it's issued?
Who is eligible for Ethiopian e-Visa?
Can I get a multiple entry visa online?
What happens if I travel with children?
If traveling with children, make sure you are in possession of a valid birth certificate and/or adoption certificate, as appropriate, to avoid any last-minute inconvenience.
Keep in mind that the rules are valid for all children whether they are biological, adopted or just traveling together.
I will ONLY be in transit (not leaving the airport) in Ethiopia, do I still need to apply for the visa?
Can I enter anywhere with this e-Visa for tourism or only at certain places/border posts?
Learn more about Ethiopia Tourism
Where can I read more?
- Ethiopia Visa for the citizens of Nigeria
- Ethiopia visa for South Africa citizens
- Ethiopia Vaccine Requirements: Do I need a vaccine to travel to Ethiopia?
- Ethiopia visa fee
- Ethiopia Visa Policy: Learn More
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR US CITIZENS
- What is the process to get the Ethiopia 14 day quarantine requirement?
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR TANZANIAN CITIZENS
- Ethiopia visa for Italian
- Ethiopia evisa – Because the future is now
- Ethiopia visa for French
- Ethiopia visa for Brazilian
- Ethiopian Visa for Malaysian Citizens
- Ethiopian Visa for Tunisian Citizens
- Can I apply for an Ethiopia Visa Extension?
- Ethiopia visa for Belgian
- ETHIOPIA VISA REQUIREMENTS
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF MALAYSIA
- ETHOPIA VISA FOR SOMALI CITIZENS
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR SPANISH
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR SOUTH KOREAN
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR KUWAITI
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR INDIAN CITIZENS
- Ethiopia visa for Canadian citizens
- Ethiopia visa for Polish
- Ethiopia visa for Swedish
- Ethiopia visa application form
- Ethiopia visa for Chinese
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR GREEK
- Ethiopia visa for Australian
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF GHANA
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR FILIPINO CITIZENS
- ETHIOPIA VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR UGANDA CITIZENS
- ETHIOPIA VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR PAKISTANI CITIZENS
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR UK CITIZENS
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF SAUDI ARABIA
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF YEMEN
- How to get your Ethiopia visa
- Ethiopia Visa for Jordanian citizens
- Ethiopia Visa for Lebanese citizens
- Ethiopian Visa for Lebanese Nationals
- Ethiopia visa for Swiss
- Ethiopia Visa for the citizens of Hong Kong
- Ethiopia Visa for the citizens of Zambia
- Ethiopia Visa for the citizens of Zimbabwe
- Ethiopia visa for Dutch
- Ethiopian Visa for Ghana Nationals