Learn More: Tourist eVisa
Last Updated - February 2023
If you want to visit India as a tourist then you will need to obtain an Indian Visa, also known as the Tourist Visa India, to be granted entry to the country. If your purpose is tourism then you have come to the right place to apply for your e-visa India!
For international travel the India Tourist e Visas are available as a 30 day, 1 year or 5 year option, depending on your needs and eligibility.
This article explains all you need to know about the completely online visa application process, how you can apply, and the e Visa services iVisa.com offers.
India e Visa - What is it?
The India eVisa is an official tourist visa that permits international travelers to enter India for tourism purposes. It is electronically linked to your passport.
There are 3 different types of tourist e Visas available for foreign nationals to enter India, we offer the following:
- 30 day e Visa India
- 1 year e Visa India
- 5 years e Visa India
We also offer a Business e Visa and Medical e Visa, you'll find information on those categories in separate articles.
Note: All e Visas are non-extendable and non-convertible.
The Government of India does not grant visas on arrival.
India e Visa - Everything you need to know
iVisa.com offers easy and fast visa services for all visitors to India. A 100% online visa application process and online payment service. We offer an approved E visa service for all national and international travelers to enter the country.
We offer several pricing and processing options to fit every visitor's needs. Faster than a standard e visa portal we can get your e tourist visa approved in as fast as 36 hours with our Super Rush service.
When should I apply for my India evisa?
1 year and 5 year visas - You can apply for your e Tourist Visa 120 days before your proposed date of travel to India, and a minimum of 4 days in advance of the date of arrival to India.
30 day e Visa - You may apply a minimum of 4 days before your departure. For this visa, you can only start the application as early as 30 days before the date you plan to travel.
- If you want to apply in advance, iVisa.com provides a queue service where you can apply for your e Visa at any time before your trip and it will automatically go into a queue until the right time, whereby we will submit your visa application for you.
Who is eligible for the Indian Visa online?
Most foreign nationals have to apply for an e visa to visit India no matter how long they plan on traveling. Unless you have an Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card you will need a visitor visa for India. In our FAQs section, you will find an extensive list of countries that are eligible to apply for the e Visas.
The e Tourist visa is available to international travel document holders for tourism purposes only, and you must have a passport with a validity of at least six months at the time of the application.
How long is my e Visa valid for?
The validity of your e Visa is according to the e Visa service you have requested in your application form as follows:
- 30 day e Visa - 30 days after arrival to India
- 1 year e Visa - 1 year after issued
- 5 years e Visa - 5 years after issued
How many times can I enter India with my e Visa?
This varies depending on the visa type you wish to apply for:
- 30 days - Double Entry visa, for use within 30 days after arrival. Double entries will be granted within the e-Visa validity period stamped on your Passport.
- 1 year and 5 year visas - Multiple Entry. Allows for a continuous stay during each visit which shall not exceed 90 days Per Entry, except nationals of the USA, UK, Canada and Japan. In the case of nationals of the USA, UK, Canada and Japan, continuous stay during each visit shall not exceed 180 days in Total.
Where is the India e Visa valid for entry?
The Indian Tourist e Visa is valid for entry through :
- 29 designated Airports: Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Thiruvananthapuram, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Cochin, Goa, Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Gaya, Jaipur, Lucknow, Trichy, Varanasi, Calicut, Mangalore, Pune, Nagpur, Coimbatore, Bagdogra, Guwahati, Chandigarh, Visakhapatnam, Madurai, Bhubaneswar, Port Blair, & Kannur.
- 5 designated seaports: Mumbai, Cochin, Mormugao, Chennai, New Mangalore. However, travelers can exit from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) in India.
NOTE: This eVisa is not valid for entry into India from any Indian land border, only via designated airports and seaports.
Do I need a visa If I am traveling through India in transit?
Visitors do not require any type of valid visa if they are continuing on to another country and will not be exiting the transit area of the airport in India.
What do I need to apply for my Indian visa online?
The eVisa India application is easy with us, you don't need to go to the India visa embassy, get an Indian visa appointment, or talk to an immigration officer. We only require the following information to get your India e tourist visa online:
- Applicant photo - A recent photo of yourself, taken against a white background
- Passport personal details scan or travel document showing your photograph and passport details
- Copy of the last page of your passport (if applicable)
- Valid email address - So we can communicate with you
- Credit or debit card to pay the fees
iVisa.com also provides a photo service to help you get the perfect passport or visa photo.
NOTE: The applicant's passport should have at least six months of validity from the date of arrival in India, and at least two blank pages. It is also advised to have sufficient money to support the duration of your visit.
How to obtain the India tourist e visa.
It couldn't be easier to apply for your Indian e visa online than with iVisa.com. The process is very simple and takes around 10 minutes to complete. If you need help, iVisa.com's awesome support service will take your call 24/7 and will guide you through the Indian Visa application process, as follows:
- Step 1 - Applicants must complete the form online via our website. You will be asked to provide general information about yourself and choose the type of visa you want to apply for.
- Step 2 - Verify the information you have already provided is correct and choose the processing option that best suits your needs.
- Step 3 - Pay the service fee using a credit or debit card. Upload any additional documents required (passport photo and a photo scan of your passport).
Once you complete all three steps, just submit your application and sit back and relax while we process your visa! Wait for your e Visa to arrive in your e-mail inbox in the timeframe you have chosen. Our average turnaround time for e tourist visas right now is 17 hours!
Note: At the time of travel you must carry both a printed and electronic copy of your Tourist eVisa to show to immigration officers on arrival so they can clearly see your e Visa India status.
Do children also need to apply for an Indian e visa?
Yes absolutely, all applicants must hold a valid e Visa to travel to India, regardless of their age.
You need to fill in a separate form for children (including newborn babies). If you have more than one child traveling with you, then you have to fill in and apply using a separate form for each child, and carry the visa approval along with a valid child's passport.
In such cases, minors applying must be in possession of their own separate passport.
Can minors travel alone in India?
Young children above the age of 2 years and below the age of 12 traveling without a parent or legal guardian are considered unaccompanied minors. Most airlines provide a service to assist these children from their point of departure to their final destination.
Please contact your airline provider for more information about their Indian Visa Application requirements.
What's the cost of the India e visa and how long does it take to process?
The 30-day eVisa generally comes with a government fee of USD 27.5. However, there are certain nationalities that can obtain it for free, so at iVisa.com, we only charge our service processing fee.
The 1 year visa comes with a government fee of USD $43.00, and the 5 year visa USD $84.05. There are some exceptions to this charge like Argentina, but you can verify the exact government fee during the application process.
For all 3 eVisa types available, we have 3 different pricing and processing options for you to choose from depending on how fast you need it to be processed. The processing fee varies depending on your nationality, you can verify the exact fee using the Calculator Tool below, or during your application.
Here are the processing options we offer:
- Standard Processing - This is the best option if you have more time to wait; it takes 5 days, and it's also the most economical.
- Rush Processing - A little faster; it only takes 3 days to receive your visa.
- Super Rush Processing - Your visa will be delivered in 36 hours, which is super fast and perfect for anyone in a rush.
Our processing fees include both our service fee and the above-mentioned Government fees.
You should apply online to find out the cost for your specific nationality. Some countries have exceptions and price changes. If your nationality is exempt from e Visa fees, your only charge will be the iVisa.com processing fee according to how soon you need it.
Do you have more questions about processing times? Easily contact here our customer service team whose working hours are 24-7!
India Covid-19 Travel Restrictions
Covid restrictions are constantly changing for international travelers so it's important to stay up to date, here are the latest requirements in accordance with the government of India.
COVID 19 Vaccine
COVID vaccination passports or certificates are not mandatory to enter India. However, travelers are encouraged to complete the primary vaccination series. Since information may change quickly, we advise you to follow up on the latest India travel updates and/or contact your local embassy.
COVID 19 Test
- COVID testing requirement: There are no testing requirements.
There are currently no quarantine requirements in India.
Since information may change quickly, we advise you to follow up on the latest travel updates and/or contact your local embassy.
What are the other types of Indian visas available?
- The e-Business Visa - Will allow visitors to travel for business purposes. As with the tourist e-Visa, applicants must apply for their Indian e-Business Visa a minimum of 4 days before their intended departure date to India.
- The Indian e-Medical Visa - Only granted to those applicants seeking or needing medical treatment in India. Family members who plan to support your medical procedures in India won't be able to apply for an e-Medical Visa to travel alongside you. Instead, they'll need to apply for a different type of Indian e-Visa (the Indian e-Medical Attendant Visa).
You can read more about the Business and Medical visa services on our website in their own separate articles. If you are not sure which visitor visa for India you need, you can contact your local embassy or consulate for advice.
Who can I speak to if I have more questions?
If you would like to know more about the Tourist, Business or Medical e Visas or have any other queries our customer service agents are always happy to help you out. The official working hours are all day, everyday, so feel free to contact us anytime you need.
You can also check the FAQs section of our website for more information.
Required Documents to Apply
Last Page of Passport (if applicable)
APPLYING FOR THE INDIA TOURIST EVISA
The India visa application with iVisa.com is easy and takes around 5 minutes to complete, you just need to provide some personal information and details about your intended stay in India. In addition, it is required to have a confirmed flight ticket before submitting the form.
Step 1: You will be asked to provide general information about yourself and choose the type of visa you want to apply for.
Step 2: Verify the information you have already provided is correct and pay the service fee using a credit or debit card.
Step 3: Attach any required documents and hit ‘Submit’
All you need to do now is sit back and wait for your visa to arrive via email, we will take care of your India visa processing.
Note: At the time of travel you must carry both a printed and electronic copy of your Tourist eVisa available to show to immigration officers on arrival so they can clearly see your Indian visa status.
Was this page helpful?
Related ArticlesRead more
OCI Card Checklist
Those that are of Indian origin and their spouses are eligible to apply for the Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card, which allows them to trav...Mar 14, 2021
OCI Card Processing Time: Getting Your Visa to India
Disclaimer - iVisa does not currently offer the OCI card, please check below for any information you may need about your future application with us, o...Mar 12, 2021
India Visa for US Citizens
India is a rich and diverse country with many cultures and traditions, which makes it a perfect destination for adventurers. That’s why more than a mi...Nov 27, 2018
Is it safe for Americans to visit India nowadays?
One of the great dreams of Americans is to explore the country of India due to the culture, gastronomy, beliefs, and traditions. However, sometimes th...Jun 2, 2020
My application couldn’t be completed due to an error. What now?
My India Tourist eVisa has been canceled. What Can I do?
Is the Indian e-tourist Visa valid for travel on cruises?
If I cancel my e-tourist visa application, will the fee be refunded to me?
Unforeseen events happen and can change your travel plans. This is why we understand you may want to request a cancellation of your visa application and a credit for the amount paid. However, these are the iVisa refund policy guidelines:
If your application has not been reviewed by our team, nor submitted to the government for approval, then you will receive a credit for the full amount of the iVisa processing fee and government fee.
If your application has been reviewed by our team but has not yet been submitted to the government for approval, you will receive a credit for the full amount of the government fee.
If your application has been submitted to the government for approval or a visa is already issued, unfortunately, no credit is available.
What if I made a mistake on my e-Visa India application?
Where can I read more?
- India COVID-19 travel rules, requirements, and restrictions
- India Vaccination Requirements: Do I need a vaccine to travel to India?
- OCI Card Checklist
- What happens if you overstay your India visa: fines and penalties
- How can I acquire an India visa extension: process and requirements
- India Visa for Malaysians
- What To Do When the Indian eVisa Payment is Not Working?
- India e-Visa Frequently Asked Questions
- What countries are visa-free to India?
- OCI Card Processing Time: Getting Your Visa to India
- See All