In November 2019, Malawi's Immigration and Citizenship Department launched its online visa program. Residents from over 200 countries have access to the e-Visa, including Portugal. Apply online from any smart device, and when approved, we'll send you a digital Malawi e-Visa.
This is a time saving and easy way to plan your trip to Malawi. Getting your e-Visa for Malawi is a simple, secure process that should only take you a few minutes to complete after you’ve gathered the appropriate documents.
Questions & Answers | The Malawi e-Visa
What will be the total cost for the e-Visa after processing fees?
The total cost for applying for a visa online is based on your processing speed selection and how quickly you will need your visa:
- Standard: With Standard Processing and the cost of your visa, the total is USD 77.00.
- Rush: With Rush Processing and the cost of your visa, the total is USD 102.00.
- Super Rush: With Super Rush Processing and the cost of your visa cost, the total is USD 127.00.
What is the Malawi e-Visa?
The Malawi e-Visa allows you to enter Malawi legally and is paperless. The e-Visa is electronically linked to your personal passport bio information, and makes it easy for immigration officials to swiftly process your entry upon arriving into Malawi.
What is the processing time for the Malawi e-Visa?
The processing time is dependent upon how fast you need your visa, and which processing method you choose:
- Standard Processing takes about 8 Business Days to approve your application.
- Rush Processing takes around 7 Business Days to approve your visa application.
- Super Rush Processing takes about 5 Business Days to approve the online application form for your travel documents.
How many entries into Malawi am I allowed to use as a Malawi e-Visa holder?
The e-Visa for Malawi that you will receive is a Single Entry visa.
How long will my e-Visa be valid for entry into Malawi?
As a citizen of Portugal, you will have 90 days after issued to use your e-Visa before it expires.
How long can I stay in Malawi before my e-Visa is no longer valid?
Make sure that you plan your trip so that you exit Malawi prior to the day your visa expires. All visas set a limit on how long you can stay in a foreign country.
The maximum stay allowed in Malawi with the visa you will receive is 30 days Per Entry.
Which documents do I need to gather to apply online for a Malawi e-Visa?
You will need to have the following items for a speedy application process when you apply for an e-Visa:
- Recent Applicant Photo - Please submit a recent passport photo that meets ICAO guidelines for passport photos. There are many photo shops and online services to help you take an appropriate photo for a visa or a passport.
- Scan of Your Passport Personal Bio - The bio page of your passport needs to be scanned, and a legible, clear copy of it must be submitted with your application. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after your intended arrival date in Malawi.
- Proof of Accommodation - Evidence of where you intend to stay while in Malawi, such as your hotel itinerary, booking page or reservations, including your name and your dates of your stay. If you are staying with an individual, a company or an organization, you must provide their name, your host’s contact information, and the address of your accommodations while staying with them in Malawi. If you are attending a pre-paid tour, such as a safari, while you visit, you can present evidence of your accommodations by providing details of your payment to the tour operator.
- Proof of Vaccination (if applicable) - If you have been in a country that has a risk of yellow fever transmission, you will need to provide documentation that you have been administered the yellow fever vaccine. Contact the practitioner, clinic or hospital where you received the vaccine if you need proof of your yellow fever vaccination.
I am traveling to Malawi to join my new spouse, who is a citizen of Malawi. Do I still need to get a visa to gain entry when I arrive?
If you are married to a citizen of Malawi but have not yet applied for citizenship, you must obtain a visa to gain entry to Malawi.
Simple e-Visa Process for Malawi | Citizens of Portugal
Malawi possesses countless amazing natural wonders to behold. Lake Malawi, nicknamed by Dr David Livingstone as “Lake of Stars and Lake of Storms”, is the fourth largest freshwater lake in the world and boasts the most diverse population of freshwater fish in the world. The national parks and reserves of Malawi boasts the legendary Big Five, for those interested in a safari holiday. Malawi is gaining a reputation as a premier birdwatching destination, as well as an increasingly popular rock climbing location, especially for bouldering, with a plethora of granite formations littering the breathtaking African landscape, just waiting to be explored.
Do you have any questions or concerns? Any issues you might have can be easily addressed by clicking on the chat box in the lower right corner, where you can consult with an e-Visa expert about anything that you need assistance with.