In November 2019, the Immigration and Citizenship Department of Malawi launched its new electronic visa program. Residents from more than 200 countries have access to the e-Visa process, including the residents of Qatar. You can easily apply for your visa online while planning your holiday to Malawi.
While planning your trip, save time and stay organized with a Malawi e-Visa. Get your e-Visa for Malawi by applying online with a user friendly, secure process that takes just a few minutes to complete.
Questions & Answers | The Malawi e-Visa
What is an e-Visa? Do I need a paper visa when I travel in Malawi?
The Malawi e-Visa works just like a standard visa would, allowing you to enter Malawi legally. It is electronically linked to your personal passport, and helps the traveler streamline their travel days in hectic airports and simplify navigating long queues.
Although the e-Visa eliminates the need for a paper visa, or for a trip to an embassy or consulate to obtain travel papers, it is wise to print a paper copy of your Malawi visa, once you are approved for one, to carry with you in the event of a malfunction of your smart device (i.e. a dead battery or a lost smartphone) or anything that prevents you from accessing your e-Visa while abroad. A paper copy of your passport is also recommended to have with you in the event that your passport is stolen or lost.
How long does it take to process a Malawi e-Visa?
The processing time depends on how quickly you need to obtain a visa; we offer three levels of expedition, depending on your needs:
- Standard Processing takes about 8 days to approve your application.
- Rush Processing processes in about 7 days to approve your visa application.
- Super Rush Processing takes about 5 days to approve the online application form for legal travel to Malawi.
How much does an e-Visa to Malawi cost?
The total cost for applying for a visa online is based on your processing speed selection, and expedited methods will cost more than slower methods:
- Standard: With Standard Processing and the cost of your visa, the total is USD 77.00.
- Rush: With Rush Processing and the cost of your visa, the total is USD 102.00.
- Super Rush: With Super Rush Processing and the cost of your visa, the total is USD 127.00.
How many times can I enter Malawi as an e-Visa holder?
The e-Visa for Malawi that you are applying for is a Single Entry visa.
When does this electronic visa expire?
As a citizen of Qatar, you will have 90 days after issued to use your visa before it expires and is no longer legally valid to enter Malawi.
What is the maximum amount of time I can stay on holiday in Malawi with this visa?
Every visa has a time limit on how long you can legally stay in a foreign country. It is important to make sure that you plan your vacation so you leave Malawi before the day that your e-Visa expires and is no longer valid.
The maximum time you may stay in Malawi with this specific visa is 30 days Per Entry.
What documents and paperwork do I need to submit in order to be considered for a visa to visit Malawi?
You will need to have all of the following items ready to apply for an e-Visa:
- Applicant Photo - A recent photo of you, that meets the same guidelines as a passport photo, is necessary. Passport photos can easily be obtained through online services, and at photo developing shops or digital print shops.
- Scan of your Passport’s Personal Details - A legible scan of the bio page of your passport will need to be submitted along with your application. It must have at least six months of validity remaining before the expiration date of your passport before the day you intend to arrive in Malawi.
- Proof of Accommodation - You need to provide a clear and legible copy of your hotel reservations, with your name visible, and your dates of arrival and departure. If you are using alternate accommodations, you need to obtain a signed letter from your host or your host organization or sponsor that clarifies where you are staying, with whom, and when you will be staying with your host. The note must explain the host’s relationship to the applicant, the purpose of travel to Malawi. In addition, the host or sponsor’s residential status (permit or Malawi Passport) must be indicated, and their contact information must be present.
- Vaccination Certificate (if applicable) - If you have been in a country that has a risk of yellow fever transmission, you will need to provide documentation that you have been administered the yellow fever vaccine.
What do I need to do to bring my child with me?
Children will need the following to apply for entry into Malawi:
- Birth Certificate of Minor - If you are bringing a minor, you need to bring their birth certificate (not a Certificate of Birth) along with you
- Legal Guardian 1 Passport Page Scan - You will need to provide a scan of your own personal passport information bio page.
- Minor Consent Letter - You can easily find free templates for letters of consent to travel online. It is a form that declares that you are the legal guardian of your child, who is traveling with you
Simple e-Visa Process for Malawi | Citizens of Qatar
There is no need to go to the embassy or consulate to get a visa if you want to travel to Malawi and enjoy the wonders of southeastern Africa. Whether you are visiting our wildlife preserves, our vast and beautiful beaches, exploring Malawi’s birdwatching and safari opportunities, or just coming to enjoy our unique and varied culture, it has never been easier to fill out an online e-Visa application and quickly and legally obtain a digital visa that can be used in the exact same way a standard visa is used to gain entry into Malawi.
The Malawi e-Visa has been designed to fit into modern life, and will work on your smart device, including your laptop, tablet or smartphone.
Do you have any questions or concerns regarding the use or application for a Malawi e-Visa? Please click the chat bubble in the lower right corner of the page to ask us any questions you might have.