The Malawi Department of Immigration and Citizenship initiated an online visa program since November 2019. Citizens from over 200 countries, including Rwanda, have access to the Malawian e-Visa process. The e-Visa allows the use of any smart device to apply for, and also use the approved e-Visa to enter and travel in Malawi. After your application is approved, we will provide you with a digital version of your Malawi e-Visa that can be accessed with any smart device in order to travel between borders when you visit Malawi on your upcoming holiday.
This is an exciting new way to obtain a travel visa from the nation of Malawi. Getting your e-Visa for Malawi is a secure, legal, and easy process that will get you a visa for your Malawi vacation quickly and easily.
Questions & Answers | The Malawi e-Visa
How is the e-Visa different from a paper visa?
The Malawi e-Visa allows you to enter Malawi legally. The e-Visa is electronically linked to your personal passport. Your travel information, a QR code that is easily be scanned by customs officials and links to your legal travel visa, and a bar code for security purposes are available on your smart device screen.
It is advisable to carry a printout of your visa, in case you have any minor problems with your smart device that might interfere with your access to your e-Visa, such as a dead battery. Below is the sample of an e-visa:
How long will it take for me to get a Malawi e-Visa?
The processing time depends on which speed you select:
- Standard Processing takes about 8 Business Days to approve your application.
- Rush Processing takes about 7 Business Days to approve your visa application.
- Super Rush Processing takes about 5 Business Days to approve the online application form for your Malawi e-Visa.
How many entries am I allowed into Malawi as an e-Visa holder?
The e-Visa for Malawi is a Single Entry visa.
When will my e-Visa no longer be valid?
As a citizen of Rwanda, you will have 90 days after issued to use your visa before it expires.
How long can I stay in Malawi with my e-Visa?
Every visa has a limit on how long you can stay in a foreign country. When traveling abroad anywhere, always make sure to plan your trip accordingly so you leave your host country before the last day that your visa is valid.
The maximum stay in Malawi with this specific visa is 30 days Per Entry.
What will the e-Visa cost me?
The total cost for applying for a visa online is based on your processing speed selection, depending on how fast you need to obtain a visa:
- Standard: With Standard Processing and your visa cost, the total is USD 77.00.
- Rush: With Rush Processing and your visa cost, the total is USD 102.00.
- Super Rush: With Super Rush Processing and your visa cost, the total is USD 127.00.
Useful Things Needed to Travel to Malawi?
When you enter the country of Malawi, you will need at least one blank page in your passport to allow for the entry stamp. If you have any foreign currency, you must declare it when you enter into Malawi. Diplomats and government officials are exempt from paying the standard fee for a visa to visit Malawi.
Malawi Visa Information and Documents
Make sure to gather these items to apply for an e-Visa:
- Proof of Accommodation - A copy of your hotel itinerary, including your name and the dates of your stay in Malawi, is needed to apply for your visa. If you are not staying at a hotel, you need to get a letter written by your host or host organization that details the nature of your visit and the dates and address(es) of your visit with the host(s).
- Applicant Photo - A standard passport photo, taken recently, is needed to apply. If you are unsure how to get a passport photo, please consult your country’s guidelines for a passport photo. There are many online vendors who can assist you in obtaining an appropriate picture for this purpose.
- Passport Personal Details Scan - The bio page of your passport will be scanned for use in the application process. Please make sure that your passport is valid from six months after the first day of your planned visit to Malawi.
- Vaccination Certificate - If you have been in a country that you may have been exposed to yellow fever in, you need to provide documentation of your immunization for yellow fever. If you don’t have documentation of your vaccine records, please contact your clinician, the clinic, or the hospital that you received a yellow fever vaccination at for further information.
Simple e-Visa Process for Malawi | Citizens of Rwanda
If you want to visit the beautiful Malawi, you don't need to go to the embassy or consulate to get a visa. Alternatively, filling an online e-Visa application has never been simpler. We've designed it for you to easily work on your desktop, tablet, or smartphone, making international travel smoother, less stressful, and less intimidating. The e-Visa will always be at your fingertips, as long as you have your smartphone available during your trek to Malawi.
Do you have other questions or concerns that we have not addressed here? Please click on the chat bubble in the lower right corner of this page to talk to a representative and answers any questions you may have regarding the e-Visa for Malawi. Operators are happy to attend to your needs, and they are available 24/7.