The Malawi Department of Immigration and Citizenship initiated an online visa program since November of 2019. Citizens of more than 200 countries, including the United Arab Emirates have now access to the e-Visa process. You are now able to use any smart device that has online access to apply for an e-Visa to visit Malawi. When you are approved, we'll provide you with a digital version of your Malawi e-Visa to present for entry into Malawi and when necessary during your visit to The Warm Heart of Africa.
The e-Visa is an innovative, new way to use your smart device while traveling. Getting your e-Visa for Malawi is a simple, secure online process that only takes a few minutes of your valuable time to complete.
Questions & Answers | The Malawi e-Visa
Why do I need a Malawi e-Visa?
The Malawi e-Visa is an electronic version of the standard paper visa, which allows you to enter Malawi legally. It replaces the old way of carrying a paper visa when you travel, and allows customs officials to electronically access your personal passport when you are entering Malawi or anytime you need to present your visa while you are traveling abroad.
How long do I have to wait to get my e-Visa to visit Malawi?
The amount of time it takes to get your visa depends on what level of processing you need, and how fast you need to obtain a visa. Below are your options:
- Standard Processing takes about 8 days to approve your application.
- Rush Processing takes about 7 days to approve your visa application.
- Super Rush Processing takes about 5 days to approve the online application form for travel documents.
How much will a visa to visit Malawi cost me?
Your cost for applying for a visa online costs more if you need us to speed up the application process, based upon your travel plans or personal needs. Your options are the following:
- Standard: With Standard (normal) Processing and the price of your visa, the total is USD 77.00.
- Rush: With Rush (expedited) Processing and the cost of your visa, the total is USD 102.00.
- Super Rush: With Super Rush (fastest available) Processing and the price of your visa cost, the total is USD 127.00.
How many entries into Malawi am I allowed with the visa I am applying for?
This e-Visa for Malawi that you are applying for is a Single Entry visa.
How long do I have until my e-Visa becomes no longer valid?
As a citizen of the United Arab Emirates, you will have a timeframe of 90 days after issued to use your visa before it expires and is no longer valid for travel.
What is the maximum amount of time I can stay as a visitor in Malawi for a holiday, using a visa?
Every visa has a limit on how long you can stay in a foreign country. The maximum stay in Malawi with this specific visa is 30 days Per Entry.
Make sure that you plan your trip around this timeframe, so that you leave before your visa’s final day, while your Malawi e-Visa remains legally valid for travel.
Do I need to gather a lot of materials in order to apply for a visa to visit Malawi?
You will need a few things when you apply for an e-Visa:
- A Recent Photo Of You - You’ll need a photo that is formatted the same way as a standard passport photo, and is taken recently. If you have questions regarding what a standard passport photo is, or don’t know where to get one, feel free to use the chat bubble on the lower right corner of the page and one of our operators will assist you with your question.
- A Scan Of Your Passport’s Personal Details - The bio page of your passport, that contains your personal details, will need to be clearly scanned (and readable) and submitted with your other application items. Your current passport must not expire for at least six months from the day you intend to arrive in Malawi in order to be approved for a travel visa to Malawi.
- Proof of Accommodation/Where You Will Stay - Your host, your host organization, or your hotel must be provided to complete your application. Your reservation details, including your name, the name of the hotel, and your dates of arrival and departure must be provided. If you are staying at a private residence, the host or host organization must write a short letter detailing the dates of your stay, who you are staying with, and where you are staying.
- Vaccination Certificate (if applicable) - If you have ever been vaccinated for yellow fever after being in a country that posed a risk for yellow fever, you must present proof of your vaccination in order to enter Malawi.
What do I do if my application for a visa is rejected?
If, in the unlikely event your visa application is not approved for travel to Malawi, you should first review all of the necessary documents that you provided to us upon your initial application for an e-Visa, for any clerical errors or problems. You can get information about appeals or any other issues that might arise, from using the chat bubble in the lower right corner of the page, or alternately, at Malawi’s foreign mission, at the Regional Offices in Mzuzu and Lilongwe, or at Immigration Headquarters in Blantyre.
Barring any issues in your initial application process, (an expired passport, for example) you can appeal the rejected visa application to the Chief Immigration Officer at the Immigration Headquarters in Blantyre if your initial application is rejected.
You should not attempt to enter Malawi before a legal visa has been issued to you through the proper channels.
Simple e-Visa Process for Malawi | Citizens of United Arab Emirates
When you prepare to travel to Malawi, whether you will be visiting the stunning beaches of Lake Malawi, with the most diverse population of fish of any lake in the world, or whether you will be enjoying our vast fields of granite, as Malawi is quickly becoming a popular haven for rock climbing, the ease of obtaining a travel visa has never been less complicated.
Arrive in Malawi with an e-Visa already loaded to your smart device, and there is no need to waste your valuable travel time trekking to an embassy or consulate to retrieve a visa for admittance to Malawi. There is more time left to enjoy your African holiday with the convenience of a Malawi e-Visa.
Do you still have questions? How can we assist you? Please click the chat bubble in the lower right corner of this page to access our helpful operators, who will assist you with any questions you might still have.