Malawi is becoming an increasingly popular destination for western tourists. The Malawi Department of Immigration and Citizenship released its electronic visa program since November 2019. Upon introduction of the e-Visa program, citizens of the United States of America may now easily and securely apply online for a travel visa to Malawi. It is strongly recommended that you obtain an approved e-Visa prior to your departure from USA to Malawi.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers | The Malawi e-Visa
What is an e-Visa? Do I also need a paper visa?
Digitization has simplified global travel. A Malawi e-Visa can be used exclusively for travel to Malawi. It is an electronic document that allows you to use your smart device to present visa and passport information to immigration and customs officers. Below is a sample image of what an e-Visa looks like on a device screen:
It is recommended that travelers carry a paper copy of both their visa and passport with them during the length of their stay abroad, in the instance of loss or stolen of important travel documents or devices.
How long will it take to receive my e-Visa?
Average Processing times are as follows:
- Standard Processing takes about 8 days to approve your application.
- Rush Processing takes about 7 days to approve your visa application.
- Super Rush Processing takes about 5 days to approve the online application form to obtain your necessary travel documents.
How much will my e-Visa cost?
The cost of applying for a visa online is based upon processing speed plus the visa fee.
- Standard: Standard Processing plus the visa cost, your total is USD 77.00.
- Rush: Rush Processing plus the visa cost, your total is USD 102.00.
- Super Rush: Super Rush Processing plus the visa cost, your total is USD 127.00.
How long will my visa be valid for? How long can I stay in Malawi?
As a citizen of the USA, you will have 90 days after issued to use your visa before it expires. The maximum time you can stay in Malawi with the visa you are applying for is 30 days Per Entry.
Schedule your departure from Malawi at least a day before your visa expires at the very latest.
What do I need to apply for an e-Visa to Malawi?
All files will need to be submitted online to the Malawi Department of Immigration.
- Applicant Photo - A recent image file of yourself that meets the standard requirements for use in a passport.
- Scanned Personal Passport Bio - A legible image.
- Written Proof of Accommodation - Details of your accommodations, including your host’s contact information, and all other details of your stay.
- *Proof of Vaccination (when applicable)** - Required only if you have ever been exposed to yellow fever.
How safe is my personal information when I apply for an e-Visa online?
iVisa vigilantly complies with a rigid system of verification to safeguard your privacy. Please review iVisa’s policies about your privacy by visiting the “Privacy” page on our website.
Easy and Convenient e-Visa for Malawi | Citizens of the United States of America
Southeast Africa is home to an amazing array of wildlife, including the majestic African lion, leopard, rhinoceros, elephant, and Cape buffalo. The world’s largest freshwater lake occupies a large portion of Malawi. It contains the world’s most diverse populations of freshwater fish. An impressive array of fowl attracts bird watchers, and the local landscape has recently begun to bring an enthusiastic number of rock climbers in search of granite peaks.
If the natural wonders of Malawi are calling out to you, obtain a Malawi e-Visa by filling out an e-Visa application online.
Do you have any questions or concerns? Use the chat bubble in the lower right corner of the screen to ask any questions you might have. Our representatives are available 24/7.