The electronic visa program for Malawi started in November 2019. Foreign citizens, including residents of Timor Leste, are eligible to apply for a Malawi visa online and skip the trip to the embassy or consulate. To apply, you will need a valid passport and accommodation details.
It only takes a few minutes to fill out the online application for a Malawi e-Visa, then you can enjoy the diversity of Southeast Africa and the activities at Lake Malawi.
Malawi e-Visa Information for Timor Leste Citizens
Entry Limits with the Malawi e-Visa
With every visa, there are entry limits. The e-Visa for Malawi is a Single Entry visa.
Single entry visas limit the holder to one entry through one port of entry. If you leave, you must purchase another visa to reenter Malawi.
After I receive my e-Visa, how long do I have to use it before it expires?
As a Timor Leste citizen, you will have up to 90 days after issued to use the visa. If you do not, it will expire, and you will have to purchase another e-Visa.
Malawi e-Visa Maximum Length of Stay as a Foreign Citizen
You will have a maximum of 30 days Per Entry to explore and hang out in Malawi.
There is No Guaranteed Entry
If the Customs department at the Malawi port of entry note that your presence in Malawi would harm national interests or security, you will not be able to enter the country, even with a purchased visa.
What other information do I need to give if my children are traveling with me?
As a parent or legal guardian, you will need to provide more information for the child:
- Legal Guardian 1 Passport Page Scan - You will need to provide a scan of your personal passport information page.
- Minor Consent Letter - You can find free templates for this form online. It states you are the parent/custodian of the child.
- Birth Certificate of Minor - Bring the birth certificate of your child with you if they are a minor.
This is to protect children during the traveling process.
What’s the length of time it takes to process an e-Visa application?
You have an opportunity to select a processing speed for your visa application.
- Standard Processing takes around 8 days to approve your application.
- Rush Processing takes about 7 days to approve your visa application.
- Super Rush Processing takes about 5 days to approve the online application form for travel documents.
Information You Need to Provide for the Application for the Visa
It is best to have the following ready to apply for an e-Visa, which will speed up your process:
- Payment Type - PayPal or a credit card will work.
- Proof of Lodging - Where will you reside while you are visiting Malawi?
- Passport Photo - It is best to have a colored passport photo to use.
- Passport Bio Page Scan - A colored scan of the personal details page of your passport must be turned in with the online application.
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate (if applicable) - You must show a Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate to Malawi customs if traveling from a high-risk country.
Visa Application: How to Get a Final Cost for the Visa
There are three options to choose from. The total cost for applying for a visa online changes based on your processing speed choice:
- Standard: With Standard Processing and your visa cost, the total cost is USD 77.00.
- Rush: With Rush Processing and your e-Visa cost, the total is USD 102.00.
- Super Rush: With Super Rush Processing and your visa cost, the total is USD 127.00.
Timor Leste Citizens | Obtain a Malawi e-Visa Today
Anyone traveling from Timor Leste to Malawi will want to apply for the visa online. It’s faster, simpler, and just as secure as applying in-person for a visa. You can get started by applying from your smartphone or laptop anywhere you are as long as internet is available.
Safe travel, and enjoy the Malawi excursion.