The Malawi Department of Immigration and Citizenship released its electronic visa program in November 2019. Citizens from over 200 countries, including Tonga have now access to the convenient e-Visa process, . If you have any smart device, you can quickly and easily apply online for an e-Visa to Malawi. Once processed, we will send you a digital version of your Malawi e-Visa, and you will be ready for your holiday in The Warm Heart of Africa.
This is a wonderful way to save time when planning your trip abroad. After gathering the appropriate documents, getting your e-Visa for Malawi is a simple, secure process that should only take you a few minutes to complete.
Questions & Answers | The Malawi e-Visa
What is the Malawi e-Visa?
The Malawi e-Visa is electronically linked to your personal passport and allows you to enter Malawi legally.
How long will it take to process the Malawi e-Visa?
The processing time depends on which speed you select:
- Standard Processing takes about 8 days to approve your application.
- Rush Processing takes around 7 days to approve your visa application.
- Super Rush Processing takes about 5 days to approve the online application form for travel documents.
What will be the total cost of the e-Visa?
The total cost of applying for a visa online is based on your processing speed selection:
- Standard: With Standard Processing and your visa cost, the total is USD 77.00.
- Rush: With Rush Processing and your visa cost, the total is USD 102.00.
- Super Rush: With Super Rush Processing and your visa cost, the total is USD 127.00.
As a visa holder, how many times can I enter Malawi?
The e-Visa for Malawi is a Single Entry visa.
How long is my Malawi e-Visa valid?
As a citizen of Tonga, you will have 90 days after issued to use your visa before it expires.
Do I need a paper copy of my visa for my trip?
Although e-Visa eliminates the need for a paper copy of your visa, it’s a good idea to print out a copy of your visa in case you have issues with your phone/device, such as a dead battery.
What is the maximum amount of time I can stay in Malawi with a visa?
Every visa has a limit on how long you can stay in a foreign country. Make sure to plan your trip accordingly so you leave Malawi before the last day your visa is valid.
The maximum stay with this specific visa is 30 days Per Entry.
Which documents and paperwork will I need to apply for my visa so I can legally enter Malawi?
You will need to have the following ready to apply for an e-Visa:
- Applicant Photo - Please, have an appropriate passport photo ready to submit for your visa. You will need a recent photo of yourself, in color, with a front-facing view, and a plain, light background. If glasses are worn, both eyes must be clearly visible, without excessive glare.
- Passport Personal Details Scan - The bio page of your passport will need to be scanned and submitted with your application. You must have at least six months of valid time remaining prior to the expiration date, beginning from the first day you intend to come to Malawi.
- Proof of Accommodation - A copy of your hotel reservations or other lodgings for the duration of the trip. The applicant's name must be on the reservation. If you are not staying in a hotel or similar accommodation, you must provide a detailed letter of invitation from your host, organization or sponsor in Malawi that explains the relationship to the applicant and the purpose of travel to Malawi. This letter must indicate the length of stay, place of stay, and your host’s name, your host’s residential status (permit or Malawi Passport) and their contact information.
- Vaccination Certificate (if applicable) - If you have ever been in a country that has a risk of yellow fever transmission, you will need to provide documentation that you have been administered the yellow fever vaccine. If you can't find your yellow fever vaccine proof of vaccination card and can't get it reissued, you may need to get the vaccine again. The yellow fever vaccine lasts a lifetime, so there is no need to get a booster shot if you are able to provide proof of your previous vaccination against yellow fever.
Simple e-Visa Process for Malawi | Citizens of Tonga
When you want to go to Malawi to enjoy the vast and beautiful wonder that awaits you in southeastern Africa, there is no need to go to the embassy or consulate to retrieve a visa. Instead, filling out an e-Visa application online has never been easier. We have optimized it to work on your laptop, your tablet, or your smartphone. Easily access your travel documents via your smart device, and avoid red tape or lost documents that can tie you up in long lines at the airport instead of enjoying your holiday in Malawi.
If you have any questions or problems, feel free to chat live by clicking on the chat bubble in the lower right corner of the page at any time.