Malawi recently launched its online e-Visa application, and made it available to residents of the U.S. Small Outlying Islands. Online application is quick and easy.
Questions & Answers | The Malawi e-Visa
What is an e-Visa?
The Malawi e-Visa allows you to enter Malawi legally with your smart device. The e-Visa is electronically linked to your personal passport.
What is the processing time for the Malawi e-Visa?
The processing time is dependent upon which processing method you choose:
- Standard Processing takes about 8 Business Days to approve your application.
- Rush Processing takes around 7 Business Days to approve your application.
- Super Rush Processing takes about 5 Business Days to approve your application.
What is the cost for the e-Visa after processing fees?
- Standard: With Standard Processing and the cost of your visa, the total is USD 77.00.
- Rush: With Rush Processing and the cost of your visa, the total is USD 102.00.
- Super Rush: With Super Rush Processing and the cost of your visat, the total is USD 127.00.
How many times can I enter Malawi with my e-Visa?
Your successful application will result in a Single Entry visa.
How long will my e-Visa be valid?
You will have 90 days after issued to use your e-Visa before it expires.
How long can I remain in Malawi with this e-Visa?
Your visa allows you to visit Malawi for 30 days Per Entry. You must depart Malawi prior to the expiration of your e-Visa, 24 hours from the date at the latest.
Which documents do I need to gather to apply online for a Malawi e-Visa?
You will need to have the following items for a speedy application process when you apply for an e-Visa:
- Recent Applicant Photo - Please submit a recent passport photo that meets ICAO guidelines for passport photos. There are many photo shops and online services to help you take an appropriate photo for a visa or a passport.
- Scan of Your Passport Personal Bio - The bio page of your passport needs to be scanned, and a legible, clear copy of it must be submitted with your application. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after your intended arrival date in Malawi.
- Proof of Accommodation - Evidence of where you intend to stay while in Malawi, such as your hotel itinerary, booking page or reservations, including your name and your dates of your stay. If you are staying with an individual, a company or an organization, you must provide their name, contact information, and the address of your accommodations while staying with them in Malawi. If you are attending a pre-paid tour, such as a safari, while you visit, you can present evidence of your accommodations by providing details of your payment to the tour operator.
- Proof of Vaccination (if applicable) - If you have been in a country that has a risk of yellow fever transmission, you will need to provide documentation that you have been administered the yellow fever vaccine. Contact the practitioner, clinic or hospital where you received the vaccine if you need proof of your yellow fever vaccination.
I am traveling to Malawi to join my new spouse, who is a citizen of Malawi. Do I still need to get a visa to gain entry when I arrive?
If you are married to a citizen of Malawi but have not yet applied for citizenship, you must obtain a visa to gain entry into Malawi. When you provide the necessary paperwork, you must include your valid passport or travel document (valid for at least 6 months from the date of application), a letter of invitation from your spouse, evidence of sufficient funds to pay for your visa, and your spouse’s proof of legal residence.
Simple e-Visa Process for Malawi | Citizens of United States Minor Outlying Islands
Malawi possesses countless amazing natural wonders to behold. Lake Malawi, nicknamed by Dr David Livingstone as “Lake of Stars and Lake of Storms”, is the fourth largest freshwater lake in the world and boasts the most diverse population of freshwater fish in the world. The national parks and preserves of Malawi boast the legendary Big Five, for those interested in a safari holiday. Malawi is gaining a reputation as a premier birdwatching destination, as well as an increasingly popular rock climbing location, especially for bouldering, with a plethora of granite formations littering the breathtaking African landscape, just waiting to be explored.
If you're planning a visit to Malawi, there's no need to go to the embassy or consulate to obtain a tourist visa. Alternatively, filling out an online e-Visa application is a simpler, quicker way to plan your holiday, allowing you to focus your energy on your African adventure. We've configured the e-Visa to function seamlessly with your smart device, to be easily accessed on your laptop, tablet or smartphone for ease of travel.
Do you have any questions or concerns that we can help you with? Any issues you might have can be easily addressed by clicking on the chat box in the right lower corner, where you can consult with an e-Visa expert about anything that you need assistance with.