Mexico Electronic Authorization System Tourist Entry Requirements

Mexico Electronic Authorization System Tourist Entry Requirements

iVisa | Updated on Mar 25, 2022

The Mexican electronic authorization system, or SAE, is an online system that allows qualifying applicants to receive their authorization for travel to Mexico without having to apply for a visa . In order to be eligible for electronic authorization, you must be a citizen of Turkey, Ukraine, or Russia, or be a Peruvian citizen who is travelling through Mexico to either Japan or China. When you apply, you will be required to submit your passport information. You must also be travelling by air to be eligible to use the electronic authorization system.

Alt Text

If you are approved for an SAE, you will not be required to obtain a Mexican visa.

Frequently Asked Questions

If I hold a U.S. visa, do I need to submit an SAE application?

No. Those who hold visas to the following countries are not required to obtain electronic authorization:

  • The United States of America
  • Great Britain
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • The Schengen Area

Additionally, you do not need electronic authorization if you are a permanent resident of any of the countries listed above in addition to Ireland and countries in the Pacific Alliance.

If I already have a Mexican visa, do I need to complete an SAE application?

If you are a citizen of the Ukraine, Russia, or Turkey and you have a Mexican visa , you do not need to obtain electronic authorization.

How long can I stay in Mexico with an SAE?

Electronic authorization for travel to Mexico is valid for Single Entry trip of up to 180 days Per Entry. You may not stay longer than 180 days Per Entry and SAEs are not eligible for extensions or renewals. You must apply for a new SAE if you wish to travel to Mexico more than once.

When can I use my approved SAE?

Electronic approval for Mexico is good for 30 days after issued. If you do not use it within that time, you must apply for a new SAE to travel to Mexico.

My application was denied. What do I do?

If your SAE application is denied, you will need to visit the Mexican embassy for your country and obtain a visa.

Do I need to provide proof of the electronic authorization when I travel to Mexico?

Yes. You will need to bring a hard copy of your electronic authorization with you when you travel to Mexico. You will need to present it at check in for your airline and to the immigration officer(s) at the point of entry for Mexico.

Please note that immigration officers may deny entry to anyone without explanation. Receiving electronic authorization does not guarantee you entry into Mexico.

What countries can use the electronic authorization system?

As of right now, only citizens from the Ukraine, Turkey, and Russia are able to use the electronic authorization system. If you are not from one of these countries, you are either exempt from visa requirements or you need to apply for a visa at your designated embassy or consulate. Citizens of the approved countries are only permitted to use the electronic authorization system if they are travelling by plane.

Was this page helpful?