iVisa | Updated on Feb 12, 2020

Like many other nationalities, the citizens of Japan are exempt from getting a visa when traveling to Mexico for tourism purposes. However, that does not spare you from getting a Mexico Tourist Card.

You can obtain this document from the airline you are flying with or on arrival, but iVisa offers you a better alternative. You can apply for the Tourist Card online before departure, and after that, you only wait for it to arrive in your e-mail.

You can learn more about this process with the information in this article.

Fill me in

Frequently Asked Questions / FAQs

I'm from Japan, do I need a visa to enter Mexico?

As we mentioned before, you don't need a visa to enter Mexico, what you need is a Tourist Card or FMM, nothing else.

What is a Forma Migratoria Múltiple or Tourist Card?

The Mexican Tourist Card or Mexican FMM is a document that offers you legal entry to Mexico. It's very similar to a visa, but it is a lot simpler to get it, especially if you decide to apply online.

How long can I stay in Mexico?

You can stay there for 180 days Total.

What are the requirements for the citizens of Japan?

Before you start your online application process, you have to make sure that you can provide iVisa with all that's necessary. Here is the list of requirements:

  • Valid passport – you cannot obtain a Forma Migratoria Multiple unless you have a passport. Plus, the visa policy of Mexico asks you to have at least another 6 months of validation from your date of arrival in Mexico.
  • Flight ticket – This is necessary only if you travel by air.
  • E-mail address – as you can guess, when you apply online for a tourist card, the document arrives via e-mail in PDF format. It's recommended to print it out before departure. Don't forget to have the FMM number written down somewhere if your FMM gets lost or stolen.
  • Payment options – If you apply online, the payment must be online as well. That's why you have to pay iVisa's fee using a credit or a debit card, or even a PayPal Account.

What is the price of the Mexican FMM?

Regarding the processing time and the total price, you can opt for one of the following options according to how soon you want your visa:

  • Standard processing – this is the slowest option. It is also the least expensive of the three. Your application is processed within 24 hours, and the total price is just USD 20.00.
  • Rush processing – if you choose this option, you get your Tourist Card in only 4 hours, but as you can guess, the fee goes a bit higher. You will have to pay USD 40.00.
  • Super Rush processing – as the fastest available option, this is the one more pricey. The Tourist Card is ready in 30 minutes, but you must pay USD 60.00 for it.

Keep in mind that if you travel by car, the total price of your Mexican Tourist Card differs. You will be charged an additional of USD 29.00 for each processing time.

How many entries does the Mexican FMM allow me to have?

You'll get a Single Entry.

How can I apply?

You can access the application page and fill in the online form as soon as you notice that you have everything required. The task at hand should not take you too long, but iVisa provides 24/7 customer support in case you have questions or doubts.

You will notice that the form created by iVisa consists of three steps.

  1. The first step asks you to give your personal information. You also have to choose a processing time for your application and a mean of travel.

  2. Moving on to the second step, you are asked to make the payment and review your online form.

  3. The third step contains instructions on how to upload your application’s supporting documents. When you finish this, submit your request, and that's it! iVisa will handle the bureaucracy that follows.

What can I do if I travel by land?

If you travel by land, you'll have to apply for a Tourist Card by Land, which as we stated before, it has an extra cost of USD 29.00.

Can I apply for family and friends?

Yes, you can apply for them as long as they have the same requirements as you. Don't forget to get their personal information on hand to proceed with this.

Also, remember that if you're applying for one friend or one family member, you can apply here by having their personal information.

In case of just adding one person, then you can do it only selecting ‘Add new applicant’ in the application form.

Do I have to apply for my children too?

Yes, you have to apply for them separately.

How does this FMM look like?

Fill me in

Where can I find more information about the Mexican FMM?

If you still have uncertainties about this process, you can easily contact our customer service center here to receive faster attention. Or just click on the Mexico FMM pageto read more FAQs.

Share this article on
Need Help?