Soon, Ethiopian citizens will be able to get a visa for Russia online. A visa that is acquired online is called an e-Visa, but it works the same as a standard visa. The only difference is that you apply online for a visa and you receive a digital (and official) visa in your email that you can use as needed.
Use the Visa Checker Tool to find out what e-Visas you can get as an Ethiopian. And check back soon to see if Russia’s government has allowed your country to apply for a visa online.
The Russia e-Visa Program | Common Questions & Answers
What regions of Russia currently accept e-Visas?
There are four main regions that each require their own e-Visa to enter:
- The Far East
- Kaliningrad Oblast
- St. Petersburg
So, if you go from one region to another, you’ll need to get a separate visa for that region.
You can use our Visa Checker Tool to see if you have any e-Visa options currently available to use.
If I arrive in one region of Russia, will I be allowed to travel to other regions?
Each major region of Russia requires a specific visa for that region. Depending on your circumstances and security levels, you may be able to go to other regions after getting a visa for the area. Some cities are closed off to international travelers who do not have special permits for restricted cities.
What all is required to fill out an application for an e-Visa for the Russian Federation?
Each visa application, as well as entry in Russia will require:
- Health Insurance Policy - You will need to prove you have reliable health insurance coverage for the length of your stay.
- Payment Type - Some places accept debit and credit cards, and some accept cash. Some accept both. Check with the visa processing center before you go to fill out your application.
- Valid Passport - Your passport needs to be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the last day you plan to be in Russia. Have a couple of blank pages for stamping purposes.
- Passport-Style Photo - Colored photos only, white background, ratio of 3.5 x 4.5
- Invitation Letter - You should be able to acquire one from the hotel or hostel you are staying in. If you have booked a Russian tour of the region, the tour agency should also be able to provide one. Staying with friends or family? As long as they are Russian citizens currently residing in your region of choice, they can send you an invitation letter also. A PDF version is standard.
How does the Russia e-Visa program work for foreign nationals?
53 countries’ citizens currently have access to the Russian e-Visa program. But, Ethiopian citizens will hopefully have access to this great online program soon.
Once citizens of Ethiopia are allowed to apply for an electronic visa for Russia, it will be released on iVisa’s website. Then we can help you more to figure out the best way to apply.
Will I have to obtain international medical insurance to travel to Russia?
It is required for you to prove you have medical insurance to travel to Russia. This is for your safety and to keep you from getting into trouble with the local authorities if you are unable to pay for care.
How long do I have to use my visa before it expires?
The Russian e-Visa will expire after 30 days from the date of issuance. This means that you will need to enter Russia with the visa within 30 days from the issuance date or the visa will become invalid.
It is currently required to apply no less than 4 days before you travel to Russia and no more than 20 days before your intended arrival date.
Be sure to plan your trip to Russia within this time frame so you do not make the mistake of allowing your visa to expire before you can use it.
How long does it usually take to process an e-Visa application for the Russian Federation?
Usually, it takes no longer than 4 days to receive an e-Visa, but this depends on your visa operator and their e-Visa program requirements.
What are the entry and exit requirements for holding a Russian e-Visa?
The e-Visa program currently allows visa holders to stay in Russia for up to 8 days from the date of entry in the country. You will need to plan a departure trip out of Russia before the 8 days are up.
What kind of entry restrictions does the Russia e-Visa have?
The Russian e-Visa is a single entry visa. So if you exit Russia after using the e-Visa to enter, you will not be allowed back in unless you obtain another, separate visa.
Get a Russia Visa | Citizens of Ethiopia
We know getting your travel documents together can sometimes feel overwhelming. We are here to help relieve your worry.
If you have any questions, please, let us know. We are here 24/7 to help you out with your travel related questions for your Russia trip.