The Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate allows certain nationalities to travel to Taiwan without having to apply for a visa in advance. However, to obtain such a document, one must meet a series of requirements, and that is what we are here to explain.
The first requirement one must meet to be able to apply for a Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate is eligibility. There are only 6 nationalities in the world that qualify for this type of document. We are referring to the citizens of Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam. If you have any other nationality, you must obtain a visa (unless you are visa exempt). Nevertheless, it is not enough to meet the eligibility criteria. According to the visa policy of Taiwan, if you are among the 6 nationalities mentioned above, you must also have one of the following documents:
- A valid resident or permanent resident card, a valid entry visa (may be an electronic visa), or a resident card or visa that has expired less than 10 years before your arrival date in Taiwan issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, any of the EU and Schengen countries, the United Kingdom, or the United States, or
- An entry visa or resident card issued by Taiwan (ROC) in the last 10 years, and you have no record of any law violations in Taiwan.
It does not matter that you are among the 6 eligible nationalities for a Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate if you do not hold any of the documents listed above. One thing worth mentioning here is that if you hold an electronic visa for Australia or New Zealand, you must present it when you enter Taiwan. Also, if you hold a visa issued by Japan, you must have proof that you entered Japan or that you plan on going there. An onward ticket should be enough.
Apart from the Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate requirements you see above, the applicant will also need the following:
- Valid permanent passport – you cannot apply online if you have a temporary, emergency, or informal passport. You must also make sure that the document remains valid for at least another 6 months after your date of arrival in Taiwan
- Onward/return flight or ferry ticket
- E-mail address – the Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate will be sent to you via e-mail in PDF format
- Means of payment – iVisa accepts credit or debit cards, PayPal, Alipay, and WeChat As long as you meet the requirements above, you should be able to apply for a Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate. But for that to happen, you need to do one more thing, and that is to fill in an online application form.
The form you are given to complete online consists of two simple steps. The first one requires you to provide your personal information, passport details, and travel dates. You are asked to choose a processing speed for your application as well. During the second step, you have to make the payment, and you also have to carefully review your form so that it does not contain inaccurate information. If you submit erred information, you have to repeat the application process. After both steps are complete, you can submit your application, and all you can do at that point is to wait for iVisa to send you the Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate via e-mail.
If you have questions and need further information about the Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate requirements, do not hesitate to contact iVisa’s customer support service. It can be reached via phone or online chat 24/7, and it does not charge any additional fees.