As of July 2016, all US passport holders are eligible for a Uganda visa. If you are a US citizen, you can avoid the hassle of going to the embassy of Uganda to get your visa. Instead, you can use the services provided by iVisa and apply over the internet. The process is entirely online, and it only requires 15 minutes of your time. You gather some documents, fill in a form, and then you wait for your visa to arrive via e-mail in a timeframe of your choosing. It cannot get any simpler than that.
What do you need?
In order to apply online, you need to meet some requirements. However, iVisa asks a minimal effort on your behalf, and you should meet all of them with ease. Here is what you need:
- Valid passport – getting a passport should be easy, but if you already have one, take a quick look at its expiry date. The document needs to be valid for at least another 6 months from your date of arrival in Uganda.
- Copy of your passport’s information page
- Passport-sized photo – the picture needs to be as recent as possible, the background needs to be white, and you must not make face gestures in it.
- Vaccination certificate for Yellow fever – to avoid being subjected to vaccination in Uganda and quarantine measures, please solve this issue before departure.
If you want to apply for a Transit visa, you must also a have a letter that states your reason for transit, as well as your country of destination. If the East Africa Visa is what you are after, you are required to have a return flight ticket and an itinerary, along with the things mentioned above.
Uganda e-visa for US citizens – the application form
iVisa take pride in its comprehensible and easy to go through application form. It should take you about 15 minutes to complete, and if you need help, iVisa has an excellent support service that is available on chat and by phone 24/4. The application form is made of three simple steps. The first one will ask you to insert your personal information, as well as some info on your trip. You must also select a processing time and a visa type before you move forward. Just keep in mind that both those factors weigh in when the bill comes. As for the former, iVisa allows you to choose one of the following three options:
- Standard processing time – your application is processed within 4 business days, and the visa cost is $86.30.
- Rush processing time – you will receive your visa within 2 business days, and you must pay $116.30.
- Super Rush processing time – the waiting period is just 1 business day, but you will be charged $151.30.
As for the visa type, you can choose between a Uganda Tourist Visa, a Transit Visa, and an East Africa visa. The first two have the same fees, but the latter costs $148, $178, and $213 respectively.
The second step will ask you to take a quick look at what you provided during step one because you need to make sure that all the information is 100%. As for the payment, you can use a credit/debit card, a Paypal account, Alipay, and WeChat. The last step will ask you upload some additional documents. After you are done, you hit submit and then wait.
As you can see, filling an iVisa online form is a lot easier than going to an embassy. The Uganda e-visa for US citizens allows you to stay in the country for up to 90 days, and you have a single entry, except for the East Africa Visa that allows multiple entries.