After passport renewal, is visa transfer necessary?

After passport renewal, is visa transfer necessary?

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2020

After you renew your US passport, you may be wondering what you have to do with the visa that is issued on the basis of the old passport. The answer is nothing. As long as the visa is still valid, you can use it with the old passport. Nevertheless, please note that when you travel, you need to have both passports on you – the old and the new.

If you consider that you already need to renew your passport, it is time for you to do it with iVisa. With us, you can apply from the comfort of your home, since the entire process will be online, so you must make sure you have a valid email address and a payment method like debit or credit cards or even PayPal.

Read this informative article so you know more about this topic.

Fill me in

How to apply for a passport renewal overseas?

As a US citizen living abroad, you may come to a point in which you have to renew your passport. When that happens, you have one or two options, depending on the country you live in. For instance, if you live in Australia, you can apply for a passport renewal both by mail and in person.

The fact that you renew your passport does not affect your visa for Australia. You can use it until the visa expires, even if it was linked to your old passport.

As for how to apply for a passport renewal overseas, you must first have to establish which submission method you can use. If the country you live in does not support submission by mail, then your only option is to go to the nearest US embassy. You must refer to the American Citizen Services Unit.

If, however, the state you reside in supports renewal by mail, we suggest that you use this method if you are eligible. You qualify for a passport renewal by mail if:

  • You still have your old passport.
  • You were at least 16 when the passport was issued.
  • The passport was issued within the last 15 years.
  • The passport is not damaged, apart from the normal ‘wear and tear’.
  • The passport is in your current name. If you have the document that attests to your legal name change, you can proceed and renew your passport by mail.

In case you are eligible for a passport renewal by mail, you must be able to submit the following documentation:

  • The passport you want to renew.
  • A DS-82 form – you can find it online. Do not forget to sign and date it before submission.
  • The document that confirms your name change, if applicable.
  • One passport photo – the picture must be 2 by 2 inches, taken in the last 6 months. The background has to be white, and you cannot appear wearing glasses.
  • The passport renewal fee – do not send cash. Depending on the country you live in, you must use a bank check or a money order payable to the US Consulate General.

Do not forget that you must first meet each of the requirements mentioned above so that you can request a renewal of your passport with iVisa.

What happens when my visa expires?

If you renew your passport, and then your visa expires, you must apply for a new visa. However, this time, you have to use the new passport.

The bottom line is that after a passport renewal, a visa transfer is not necessary. Only after the visa expires must you use the new passport to apply for a new visa.

Renewing your passport will be simple and straightforward with iVisa.

Share this article on:
Need Help?