Many times we believe that just having a passport will be enough to travel, and in many cases, it may be true, but the expiration time of this document must be taken into account since if you have an expired date you will not be able to travel to any foreign country whose main requirement is a passport.
If you plan to travel, make sure that your travel document has a valid date and thus avoid any inconvenience at the airport.
I know it can sound very stressful to tell you to renew your passport, but let me tell you that iVisa is a good option for you, since it has implemented this new service so that its travelers can request this passport renewal from the comfort of their home. If you request the passport renewal with us, it will be much easier and you will not have to waste much time.
Do not stop reading this article because you will get more information.
Can I request a passport renewal if it’s expired?
Yes, you can apply for a passport renewal if it’s expired. However, you have to meet a few eligibility criteria to be able to renew. If you do not, then you have to apply for a new passport in person.
Eligibility criteria for an expired passport renewal by mail
For you to be able to renew your expired passport by mail are as follows:
- The passport, while expired, is still in your possession.
- The passport is not damaged aside from the usual ‘wear and tear.’
- You were at least 16 years old when the passport was issued.
- Your passport was issued within the last 15 years.
- The name on the passport is the same as your current name. However, if you have a legal document that confirms your name change, this requirement is met.
Please note that all of the above must be true to be eligible for a passport renewal by mail.
Expired passport renewal by mail – requirements
In case you determine that you are, indeed, eligible for a passport renewal process by mail, you have to make sure that you can submit the following:
- The passport itself.
- A DS-82 form – you can find it online on the US Department of State website. Do not forget to date and sign it before submission.
- If applicable, the document that attests to your name change. Feel free to use a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, or any other legal document that confirms your name change.
- One passport photo – the picture must be 2 by 2 inches with a white background. You cannot appear wearing glasses. Please do not submit a photograph that is older than 6 months.
- The passport renewal fee – please do not send cash. You can use a check or a money order payable to the US Department of State. The cost of an adult passport book is $110, and a passport card costs $30. If you want both, you have to pay a fee of $140.
Eligibility criteria for an expired passport application in person
You must apply for a new passport in person at a passport agency or a passport acceptance facility if:
- You are under the age of 16 years old.
- The expired passport was issued when you were 16 or younger.
- Your passport is damaged, or it was lost/stolen. Even if it was found/returned to you, you still have to apply for a renewal in person.
- The passport you have was issued more than 15 years ago.
Expired passport application in person – requirements
The requirements for a passport application in person are different than when you apply by mail. They are as follows:
- A DS-11 form – this too can be found online on the US Department of State website. However, this time, you cannot sign and date it until you are instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
- Proof of US citizenship and photocopy – to see what you can use here, please refer to the US Department of State website.
- Proof of ID and photocopy.
- One passport photo – the same passport photo requirements apply
- Passport application fee.
The bottom line is that you can apply for a passport renewal if it’s expired. All you have to do is make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria. For more information, we suggest that you check out the US Department of State website.
Choose iVisa to be able to acquire your passport renewal and you will not regret it.