Changing name on expired passport: step-by-step

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2022

If you’re looking for a resolution on changing name on expired passport, then you’ve come to the right place! In this article, you’ll learn the step-by-step to get your passport renewed in the easiest way possible.

Fill me in

Changing name on passport might be tedious when doing the process by yourself, but with you’ll be able to do it within a few minutes. Besides, you’ll only need a document that states your name change and a few items like your passport and your email address.

Get more information about changing name on expired passport in the questions below.

This service is available only in the US. Citizens with a US passport living in the US can use it.

How do I go about changing name on expired passport?

The only thing you have to do is to follow these steps:

  • Firstly: Fill out the online form on our website and pay the fee.
  • Secondly: Obtain your passport kit by email inbox. Keep in mind that this kit has all the things you need to process your passport name change. After you finish the process with the passport kit, drop it at your nearest post office.
  • Thirdly: Track the entire process. You’ll get your passport in 4-6 weeks or 10 weeks depending on the processing speed you select.

We suggest you use our services only if your next trip is 6 weeks later than the date you start the process. Keep in mind that changing name on expired passport can take up to 10 weeks from start to finish.

Fill me in

Frequently Asked Questions

What documents are necessary for changing name on expired passport?

The U.S. Government created these two cases. Each case has a different list of items required:

Case 1: If your passport was issued over a year ago, you need the following items:

  • A DS-82 form.
  • Your current passport
  • A professional passport-sized photograph
  • A document stating your name change.
  • You might also need to pay an adult or child fee (it depends on your age).

Case 2: In case your passport was issued in less than one year, you need:

  • A DS-5504 form.
  • A Passport photo
  • Your current passport
  • A valid document that states your name change.

Please notice that the US Government could ask you for more items or documents, but we’ll always let you know about that to avoid mistakes.’s super agents are always ready to help you with any question you have!

Who can apply for the Passport Renewal with

This service is available only for people living in the US with a valid US passport. Aside from that, you have to meet these criteria:

  • Your passport must be in your possession.
  • Your passport must be in a good state.
  • You must be 16 years old or older.
  • The issue date in the passport must be within the last 15 years.
  • Your current name must appear on the current passport.
  • You got the passport at 16 years old or after.

Lastly, you also need a document that shows the name change. It can be a marriage certification, court order, etc.

Learn more about changing name on expired passport on our website.

Do I have to send my passport to

That’s not necessary! You only have to complete the process with the kit we send you. This kit has:

  • A DS-82 Form
  • A printed and stapled passport-sized photograph.
  • A bank check with the US government fee.
  • A USPS envelope ready to be shipped.

Once you get this kit, sign it and drop it at the nearest post office along with your passport and name change document.

Get more information about changing name on expired passport, click on our website.

How long does it take to obtain the new passport?

It depends on the processing time you choose. The US Government has two options: the standard process, which takes 10 weeks, and the expedited process, which takes 4 to 6 weeks. Keep in mind that you must pay an extra fee of USD 60 for the expedited process.

How much does it cost to renew my passport?

The official fee is USD 130. But, aside from that, you must also pay’s fee according to how quickly you want to receive your kit:

  • Select Kit Shipping Time: Same Day Free Shipping (cut-off 2pm EST) for $72
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 2 Day Free Shipping for $60
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 4 Day Free Shipping for $40

The entire process can take up to 10 weeks. However, if you pay an extra USD 60 for the expedited service, you’ll only have to wait 4 to 6 weeks. Recommends

Planning a trip is always exciting, but doing the paperwork isn’t. Many travelers avoid traveling just because of administrative reasons like an outdated passport- when that shouldn’t be an obstacle!

You can now change your passport name in the easiest way possible thanks to! By doing this, you can enjoy many places around the world, including the exotic landscape in the South American Amazon, or the long Andean mountain range.

With your passport safely renewed, you can easily plan your next trip to places like Rome, Paris, Venecia, Monaco, among others. Europe might be a far off continent for many people, but it is full of beautiful treasures like the Pisa's leaning tower, the Eiffel Tower, and many more.

Nature is also attractive to visitors, and that’s why many travelers visit sites like the Himalayas, Micronesia, and many more. All you have to do is to make sure you have enough funds to cover your flight ticket and expenditure.

Obtain your Passport Name Change now and forget about missing that plane to your dream destination!

Was this page helpful?