Passport renewal in Washington DC is possible via one of two ways – by mail or in person at a passport agency. The latter is applicable when you travel in the next 14 days. Now, please read the information below to see which one you qualify for.
Applying for the renewal of your passport will now be much easier with iVisa since it has launched a 100% digital service that has a very simple form and that will only take you about 10 minutes of your time. iVisa is one of the best options you can have because we will help you with the entire passport renewal process.
For more information, keep reading this blog.
Eligibility criteria for a passport renewal by mail
For you to be able to apply for a passport renewal by mail, all of the following must be true:
- You are at least 16 years old.
- You still have the passport you want to renew
- The passport is not older than 15 years.
- There is no damage to your passport. Typical ‘wear and tear’ is okay.
- The passport is in your current name. If it’s not, you must have legal documentation that confirms your name change.
Eligibility criteria for a passport application in person
If any of the statements below are true, then you have to apply for a new passport in person:
- You are not 16 yet.
- The passport you already have was issued when you were under 16 years old.
- Your passport was issued more than 15 years ago.
- The passport you have is damaged, was lost/stolen. It does not matter if it was later found or returned to you. If it left your possession, you have to apply for a new one in person.
Requirements for a passport renewal by mail
If you determine that you are eligible for a passport renewal by mail, then you have to get ready to submit the following documents:
- The passport you want to renew
- A DS-82 form – make sure to complete it correctly, and don’t forget to sign and date it before you send it in.
- One passport photo – it has to be 2 by 2 inches with a white background, and it must have been taken in the past 6 months.
- If it applies in your case, you must submit the document that attests to your name change.
- The passport renewal fee – you can use a check or a money order (in the amount of $110 for a passport book) payable to the US Department of State. Do not send cash.
When you apply for a passport renewal from Washington DC, you have to address the envelope containing all of the above to the following address: National Passport Processing Center, Post Office Box 90155, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155.
If you are ready, enter here and start completing the form to renew your passport.
Requirements for a passport application in person
When you apply for a new passport in person, you have to make sure that before you go to the passport agency/passport acceptance facility, you have the following: A DS-11 form – you can find it online on the US Department of State website. Do not sign and date it beforehand. You must wait until the acceptance agent instructs you to.
- Proof of US citizenship plus a photocopy
- Proof of ID and a photocopy
- One passport-sized photo (2 by 2 inches, white background, no older than 6 months)
- The passport application fee.
The bottom line is that you can apply for a passport renewal in Washington DC. You can submit your application by mail or go to a passport agency in person when the matter is urgent. For more details, you should access the US Department of State website.
What can I do to get more information?
Don't stress anymore and acquire your passport renewal with iVisa now!