Passport expired and lost - what to do?

Passport expired and lost - what to do?

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2020

If you find yourself in a situation in which your passport is expired and lost, the first thing you have to do is report the incident. You can do so online, by mail, or by phone. The US Department of State website can instruct you on how to do that.

It does not matter if the passport is expired or not. To protect yourself against identity theft, you have to report your passport as lost. Then, if you want to apply for a new one, you cannot apply by mail. You have to go to a passport agency or a passport acceptance facility. It depends on your personal circumstances.

For instance, if your trip takes place in less than 3 weeks, you must go to a passport agency and fill in a DS-11 form. You must pay an expedite fee of $60. You also have to provide evidence that your trip is scheduled soon. You can do that by submitting flight tickets, hotel booking confirmations, and so on. If your trip takes place later than 3 weeks from now, you must go to a passport acceptance facility in person.

Now, we want to let you know about iVisa, this company has implemented a new service for the passport renewal, this means that you can do it from the comfort of your home since all our platforms are 100% online. Also, it’s important to mention that you must have a credit card, debit, or PayPal to pay for your application. Additionally, we will help you with the entire process of renewing your passport in a fast and effective way.

Fill me in

What are the requirements for a new passport application?

Now that you know which agency/facility to go to in order to replace the passport that is expired and lost, you have to make sure that you have all the required documents. You will be asked to bring the following:

  • A DS-11 form – you can find it online on the US Department of State website. You can use the form filler to complete it, or you can print the PDF and fill the form by hand. However, you must not sign it before going to the passport facility/agency. You must wait for the acceptance agent to instruct you on doing so at the right moment.
  • Proof of US citizenship and a photocopy – your US citizenship can be proved using multiple documents. To see the full list, please refer to the US Department of State website.
  • Proof of ID and a photocopy – once again, check the US Department of State website to see the full list of documents that can prove your identity.
  • One passport-sized photo – in the US, the passport photo measures 2 by 2 inches. The background must be white, and you cannot appear wearing glasses. Unless you have a signed letter from your doctor. Also, please do not submit a photo older than 6 months. It must be as recent as possible.
  • The passport renewal fee – the cost of an adult passport book is $110. The card is $30.if you want both, you have to pay $140. You can pay cash if you wish.

Are you ready? enter here and get your passport renewal with iVisa.

The bottom line is that if your passport is expired and lost, you have to report the incident. Then you can apply for a new one at a passport agency/passport acceptance facility, depending on your needs. Do not forget to book an appointment and make sure that you have everything necessary for you to avoid delays.

Share this article on:
Need Help?