Passport Name Change After Divorce: What You Need To Know

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2022

If you’re looking for useful information about the passport name change after divorce, you’re at the right place. At we know how tedious it can be to renew your passport all by yourself, which is why we’re ready to help you with this process by offering you an electronic and automated service. This way, you won’t have to spend much time in an embassy or local office.

Fill me in

Getting your passport renewed with a name change is easy with our application form. We’ll send you a kit with all the necessary things. Do you want to learn more about it? We encourage you to read the info in this article then.

We only offer this service for US citizens with valid US passports living in the United States by now, so be aware of that.

How is the process to get a passport name change after divorce?

If you want to change your passport name more than one year after your passport has been issued, then you only have to follow the steps on our application platform.

The application platform we designed is very simple to understand. Here’s what you need to do:

  • First: Fill out the online application form and upload a passport-sized photo and to process everything easily. After that, you have to pay the fee.
  • Second: Obtain the passport kit. This kit will include all the things you need to renew your passport easily. Once you finish this process, drop it off at the nearest mailbox or post office after you remember to include the passport and name change document.
  • Third: The last step is to track every step of the process via email inbox and receive your passport in 4-6 weeks or 10 weeks, depending on the processing time you select.

We recommend you use our services only if your next trip is 6 weeks later than when you start the passport renewal process. Remember that this procedure can take 10 weeks from start to finish.

Get more details about the passport Name Change After Divorce in the information below.

Fill me in

Frequently Asked Questions

What items are necessary to get a passport name change after divorce?

The US Government divided the list of items required into two cases. These are:

Case 1: This is what you need if your passport is over a year old:

  • A DS-82 form.
  • Your current passport
  • A passport photo
  • A name change document.
  • You might also need to include an adult or child fee depending on your age.

Case 2: These are the items required if the passport was issued less than one year ago:

  • A DS-5504 form.
  • A recent passport picture.
  • Your passport
  • A valid document that states your name change.

There might be other things to include, but don’t worry about that! We’ll ensure you receive the right documents!

Read more information about the Passport Name Change After Divorce below.

Who is eligible to apply for the Passport Renewal?

This service is available only for US citizens living in the United States with a valid US passport by now. You also have to meet these criteria:

  • The passport should be in your possession.
  • The passport must be in a good state.
  • You must be older than 16 years old.
  • The issue date should be within the last 15 years.
  • Your current name appears on your current passport.
  • You received your current passport after or at 16 years old.

Also, keep in mind that to process the name change you’ll require a document that shows your name change.

See more information about your Passport Name Change After Divorce on our website.

Do I have to send my passport to

Not at all! We don’t need your passport to process the name change, even if it is after divorce. Besides, we’ll make sure you receive a kit with all the things you need to complete this process:

  • A DS-82 Form ready to be signed
  • A printed and stapled passport photo.
  • A bank check with the US government fee.
  • A USPS envelope ready to be shipped. Once you get ready with your kit, you’ll have to sign the form and go to the post office with the kit, name change evidence and passport.

How long does it take to obtain my new passport?

There are two options for passport renewal according to the US Government:

  • The standard process, which takes 10 weeks.
  • The expedited process, which takes 4 to 6 weeks.

You have to pay an extra fee of USD 60 for the expedited process.

See more details about the Passport Name Change Marriage on our website.

How much does it cost to renew my passport?

The US Government charges a fee of USD 130. Additionally, also charges a fee depending on how soon you’d like to receive the passport with the changed name:

  • Select Kit Shipping Time: Same Day Free Shipping (cut-off 2pm EST) for $72
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 2 Day Free Shipping for $60
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 4 Day Free Shipping for $40

Please remember that it takes at least 10 weeks to obtain your new passport unless you pay USD 60 for the expedited service. This expedited service can take 4 to 6 weeks. Recommends

Many adventures await you with your passport renewed! We know that a passport name change after divorce can be tedious, but the process can be really simple if you use Besides, this is necessary for you to enjoy the beauty our planet hides.

From the incredible Egyptian pyramids to Niagara falls, there are a lot of places to discover and you shouldn’t stop those adventures just for an outdated passport. Feel free to renew your passport with us so that you can plan your next adventure to places like Barbados or Bermuda, with deep-blue waters and soft sands. Or, if you prefer, you can also visit mountainous roads in countries like Switzerland or Malta.

There are no limits to the places you can see, so we encourage you to renew your passport with our services and get your luggage ready asap!

Stay tuned to our website if you wish to know more about passport name change after divorce, and also if you want to learn more about other online processes!

Was this page helpful?