Passport Name Change for Minor

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2022

Getting a passport name change for minor is easy. To do that, all you need is a document stating the name change and to follow a few steps online. At, we’ve created an online service that allows you to get a passport name change in the easiest way possible.

Fill me in

If you want to make a change one year after the passport has been issued, then you only have to do a few things. The most important is getting the document stating the name change, which can be a marriage certificate, a court order, etc. The other things you have to do are to fill in an online form and finish the process with a passport kit we send to you. To learn more about a passport name change for minor, keep reading the information in this article.

How to process a passport name change with

If you’re requesting this change more than one year after your passport has been issued, then we recommend you use Passport Renewal service.

These are the steps you have to follow to complete the process:

  • First: Complete the online application form, upload your photo, and pay for the fees once you’re ready.
  • Second: Receive the kit with all the necessary things to renew your passport and drop it off at the nearest post office- add your name change document and passport.
  • Third: Now you can track every step of the way by checking your email. You’ll obtain your passport in about 4-6 weeks or 10 weeks, depending on the processing time you choose. Check the FAQs below for more details.

To help you enjoy a pleasant traveling experience, we only offer our services when your next trip is at least 6 weeks after you start your passport renewal. The usual procedure can take up to 10 weeks from start to finish.

Fill me in

Frequently Asked Questions

What documents are required for the passport name change?

The US Government created two lists of items based on two different scenarios. These are:

Scenario 1: If your passport has over a year of use, you must get the following items and documents:

  • A DS-82 form.
  • Your current passport
  • Passport photo
  • A valid name change document.
  • If you’re asking for a passport name change for minor, then you’ll probably have to include a child fee.

Scenario 2: This scenario goes if your passport was issued in under a year. You need the following:

  • A DS-5504 form.
  • Passport photo
  • Current passport
  • A document that states your name change.

The US Government could ask you for more things depending on your situation. The good news is that you don’t have to worry about it. Whatever your situation is, we’ll make sure you get the right documents so that your passport renewal name change goes easily. At, we’re always ready to assist you with the passport name change format through our Passport Renewal service.

Who is eligible for a Passport Renewal Service with

Only US citizens currently living in the United States with a valid US passport are eligible for these documents. They must also meet these criteria:

  • The current passport is in the applicant’s possession.
  • The passport must be in an excellent state.
  • The applicant is older than 16 years old.
  • The issue date in the passport is within the last 15 years.
  • The current name appears on the current passport.
  • The applicant got the passport at 16 years old or later.

If the applicant decides to ask for a passport name change for minor, then they’ll have to pay an extra fee.

Another thing to process with a passport name change is a document that shows the name change. This document can be a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, or a court order.

Do I have to send my passport to

No, you don’t have to do that! Plus, you’ll get a passport kit by mail with all the necessary items to renew your passport:

  • A DS-82 Form ready to be signed
  • A printed and stapled passport photo.
  • A bank check with the US government fee.
  • A USPS envelope ready to be shipped.

You’ll have to sign the form and go to the post office with your complete kit, a document that shows the name change and current passport once you’re ready.

How much time do I have to wait to get my passport ready?

There are two services to change your surname on your passport and renew it according to the US Government. You can go for the standard process and wait for 10 weeks, or you can choose the expedited process, and wait between 4 to 6 weeks. Keep in mind that you will have to pay an extra fee of USD 60 for the faster one.

How much does it cost to renew my passport?

The US Government charges an official fee of USD 130. However, you also have to pay’s fee, and it varies depending on how quickly you want to get your passport kit:

  • Select Kit Shipping Time: Same Day Free Shipping (cut-off 2pm EST) for $72
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 2 Day Free Shipping for $60
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 4 Day Free Shipping for $40

Take into account that you’ll have to wait at least 10 weeks to get your new passport. However, if you pay USD 60 for the expedited service, you’ll only have to wait from 4 to 6 weeks. Recommends

Getting a renewed passport is now simpler than ever, and this permits you to get ready quickly and easily for your next travel. Prepare your bags to travel to places as magical as the Taj Mahal in India, or the Great Wall of China.

By having a renewed passport you can also explore singular beauties like the Himalayas in Asia, or the Andes Mountains in South America. You can also learn from different cultures that await you in isolated and exotic places. For example, you can stroll the streets of Havana in Cuba, or drink a delicious coffee in Bogotá, Colombia. If you’re a fan of foreign dishes or food, rest assured that Latin America is an excellent place for it, especially with dishes like Ceviche in Peru, Bandeja Paisa in Colombia, or quesadillas in Mexico.

You don’t need much to explore the world if you decide to renew your passport with Passport Renewal Service. You won’t have to spend much time on it and we won’t ask you to spend much effort on your side either.

As you can see, it is easy to get a passport name change for minor as well, especially using the services at

Was this page helpful?