Passport name change: format and requirements

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2022

Changing your name in your passport is possible. In case you are requesting a name change more than one year after your passport has been issued, there are a few simple steps you need to follow. For now, the most important thing you need to know is that you’ll need to have an official document showing your name change, such as a marriage certificate or a court order. makes it easy for you with our three-step iVisa Passport Renewal service. Below, we’ll explain everything you need to know to get your passport updated with your name change, including the correct passport name change format.

Fill me in

Our passport renewal service is available for US citizens with valid US passports living in the United States. Learn all about the passport name change format and how you can get your passport updated with us.

What is the process to change name in a passport?

If you are requesting a passport name change more than one year after your passport has been issued, you’ll simply follow the three steps of the iVisa Passport Renewal service. The only difference is that you’ll need to include an official document proving your name change, for example a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order. But no worries—when you receive your passport kit in the mail, you’ll receive all of the documents you need to fill out along with instructions for how to fill in the passport name change format correctly.

Follow these steps to renew your passport with name change:

  • Step 1: Complete our online form, upload your photo, include your name change document, and make the payment.
  • Step 2: Receive your kit with everything you need to renew your passport and drop it off at the nearest mailbox or post office.
  • Step 4: Track every step of the way and receive your passport in 4-6 weeks or 10 weeks, depending on the service speed you choose. See FAQs for more details.

To ensure a smooth traveling experience, we only offer our services when your next trip is at least 6 weeks later than when you start your passport renewal. The usual procedure takes 10 weeks from start to finish.

Fill me in

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for the passport name change?

The US Government has given multiple measures for a passport name change. The process varies depending on which of the following two cases applies to you:

Case 1: If your passport has over a year of being issued, the requirements are these:

  • A DS-82 form.
  • Your current passport
  • Passport photo
  • Name change document.
  • Depending on your age, you will need to include an adult or child fee.

Case 2: If your passport has been issued in less than one year, you need to do the following:

  • A DS-5504 form.
  • Passport photo
  • Current passport
  • Document that states your name change.

For any other specific situation, the US Government could request more documents. Don’t worry! Whatever your situation is, we’ll make sure you get the right documents so your passport renewal name change goes smoothly. The team is ready to help you with the passport name change format through our Passport Renewal service.

Who is eligible to apply for the Passport Renewal with

Our service is available for US citizens living in the United States with a valid US passport. Also, you need to meet these requirements:

  • You need your current passport in your possession.
  • Your passport is in a good state.
  • You are older than 16 years old.
  • The issue date in your passport is within the last 15 years.
  • Your current name appears on your current passport.
  • You got your current passport after or at 16 years old.

If you’d like to get a name change on your passport, you will also need to have in your possession a document that shows your name change. Examples of this include: a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, or a court order. When you choose to renew your passport with us, you can be sure we’ll make sure your passport name change format is correct.

Do I have to send my current passport to

Not at all! We don’t need your passport to process your application. You will receive a package with these items:

  • A DS-82 Form ready to be signed
  • A printed and stapled passport photo.
  • A bank check with the US government fee.
  • A USPS envelope ready to be shipped.

You need to sign the form and go to the post office with your complete kit and current passport. Let us help you with the passport name change format!

How long does it take to obtain my new passport?

The US Government offers two services for passport renewal. You can go for the standard process that takes 10 weeks, or you can opt for the expedited process, which takes 4 to 6 weeks. However, you will need to pay an extra fee of USD 60 for the last one.

How much does it cost to renew my passport?

You need to pay USD 130 for the US Government fee. In addition to this fee, charges a fee depending on how quickly you want to receive your passport renewal kit in the mail:

  • Select Kit Shipping Time: Same Day Free Shipping (cut-off 2pm EST) for $72
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 2 Day Free Shipping for $60
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 4 Day Free Shipping for $40

Remember that it will take 10 weeks to get your new passport unless you are willing to pay USD 60 for the expedited service. This service takes 4 to 6 weeks. We have all the tools to help you with the passport name change format. Recommends

Once you get your new passport, you can start exploring the world. Start with Mexico Tand go to the Riviera Maya. Check the beautiful beaches that offer extraordinary views of turquoise waters and white sand. Go to Playa de Carmen and visit the local town, where you can find delicious tacos. Also, explore the ancient Mayan sites of Chichen Itza and Tulum. Learn all about these ancient Mexican cultures that once ruled this side of the world. Tours usually offer a visit to the famous cenotes, natural underground pools that receive tourists from all over the world.

Don’t leave Mexico without visiting Cancun. Have the most incredible nightlife and have some tequila shots at a local bar. Also, try tequila cocktails, like a margarita. If you want to learn more about religion in Mexico, go to the Virgin of Guadalupe Basilica in Mexico City. Remember that the official language in Mexico is Spanish, which means you have the opportunity to learn a few words. At least, remember to say hi or ‘hola’. Go for your passport renewal and explore Mexico soon.

Was this page helpful?