Passport Name Change Information

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2022

If you want to change your passport name, you can now do it without much effort. If you’re asking for this change one year after your passport has been issued, there are a few simple steps you have to follow. The first thing you have to do is to get an official document stating your name change, and it can be a marriage certificate, a court order, etc. After that, you only have to complete an online form, which is available at

Fill me in

In this article, you’ll be able to see more Passport Name Change Information, including what you need to complete the process.

Be aware that this process is available only for US citizens with a valid US passport living in the US. Keep reading below to learn more.

What is the process?

In case you’re asking for a name change for a passport that was issued more than one year ago, you’ll only have to follow the three steps of the iVisa Passport Renewal process.

Remember that you’ll have to include an official document proving your name change, for example, a marriage certificate, a court order, or a divorce decree. Plus, you’ll get a passport kit that will include all the items required to process your passport name change. These are the steps to follow:

  • Step 1: Fill in the online application form, upload your photo and pay the fee.
  • Step 2: Receive your kit with everything required to renew your passport, and drop it off at the nearest mailbox including your name change document.
  • Step 3: You can now track every step of the way and get your passport in 4-6 weeks or 10 weeks, depending on the service speed you select.

Get more passport name change information in the lines below.

We remind you that this service is recommended only if your trip is scheduled for at least 6 weeks after you start your passport renewal, as the usual procedure takes 10 weeks from start to finish.

Fill me in

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for the passport name change?

The process changes depending on which of the following two scenarios applies to you:

Case 1: If your passport has over a year of being issued, the requirements are these:

  • A DS-82 form.
  • Your current passport
  • Passport photo
  • Name change document.
  • Depending on your age, you will need to include an adult or child fee.

Case 2: If your passport has been issued in less than one year, you need the following:

  • A DS-5504 form.
  • Passport photo
  • Current passport
  • Document that states your name change.

For any other specific situation, the US Government could request more documents. Don’t worry! Whatever your situation is, we’ll make sure you get the right documents so your passport renewal name change goes smoothly. The team is ready to help you with the passport name change format through our Passport Renewal service.

Who is eligible to apply for the Passport Renewal with

We have created this online service exclusively for US citizens living in the United States with a valid US passport. Aside from that, you have to meet the following criteria:

  • Your current passport must be in your possession.
  • Your current passport must be in a good state.
  • You must be older than 16 years old.
  • The issue date in your passport is within the last 15 years.
  • Your name appears on your current passport.
  • You received your current passport after or at 16 years old.

Another thing you will need is a document that shows your name change. This can be a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, or a court order. If you decide to renew your passport with us, you can be sure that the name change will go as smoothly as possible.

Do I have to send my current passport to

No, you don’t have to! We don’t need your passport to process the application. You will obtain a package with the following items:

  • A DS-82 Form ready to be signed
  • A printed and stapled passport-sized photograph.
  • A bank check with the US government fee.
  • A USPS envelope ready to be shipped.

You also have to sign the form and drop it with the passport kit and your current passport and the name change document at the nearest post office. Let us help you with your passport name change!

If you need more Passport Name Change Information, check our website.

How much time does it take to process a passport name change?

The US Government has two options for passport renewal. You can choose the standard process that takes 10 weeks, or you can select for the expedited process, which takes 4 to 6 weeks. Nevertheless, you will have to pay an extra fee of USD 60 for the last one.

How much does it cost to renew my passport?

You’ll pay USD 130 for the US Government fee. Additionally to this fee, charges you an extra cost depending on how fast you want to obtain your passport renewal kit via mail:

  • Select Kit Shipping Time: Same Day Free Shipping (cut-off 2pm EST) for $72
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 2 Day Free Shipping for $60
  • Select Kit Shipping Time: 4 Day Free Shipping for $40

Keep in mind that it will take up to 10 weeks to obtain your new passport, unless you decide to pay USD 60 for the expedited service. The expedited service takes up to 6 weeks. Enter our website to learn more about Passport Name Change Information. Recommends

Have you ever dreamt of visiting France? You can easily achieve that by getting your passport ready. If you need to renew your passport, you can easily do that by using our services at Get vital passport name change information and prepare your luggage to visit Paris, Marsella, Nice, and many places more.

France is home to beautiful buildings like the Notre-Dame de Paris, the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur, the Louvre Museum, and the most popular: Eiffel Tower. Aside from that, France also has incredible resorts and landscaping including the island of Corsica, the Limestone cliffs in Étretat, the Bay of Biscay, and the Verdon Gorge (a popular destination for kayaking). You’ll have a great time relaxing in front of the Palace of Versaille or enjoying tasty French baguettes from the bakery.

Do not lose the chance to explore all of these places in France! Take advantage of our passport renewal services and get ready for your next adventure!

Was this page helpful?