Are you a US citizen living in Australia? In case you are interested in renewing your passport, know that US passport renewal in Australia is processed by US Missions.
But, you have to know you can get your passport renewal by using our service with our website iVisa. The process is simple and straightforward, and it won't take you more than a few minutes to complete the application. Start now here.
Our team will take care of the overall process, in this way making it less stressful for you.
For more information on the matter, please read the information below.
In case you did not know, not all passports are eligible for renewal by mail. Your current passport must meet a few conditions in order to be able to renew it using that method, and they are as follows:
- You still have your old passport, and it is physically intact.
- Regular wear and tear are okay.
- You were at least 16 years old when it was issued.
- It is not older than 15 years.
- The name on the passport is the same as your current name. If you changed your name, you must have a document that attests to that.
Passport renewals in Australia are possible both by mail and in-person at the US mission in your area. However, if you want to send in your renewal application by mail, you have to send it to one of the three consulates you see below.
1.People who live in the ACT (Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, and Queensland must direct their mail applications to the US Consulate in Sydney.
2.People living in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, and the Northern Territory must send in their applications to the US Consulate in Melbourne.
3.Applicants in Western Australia must direct their mail applications to the US Consulate in Perth.
Before you go to the consulate or send in your application by mail, you have to make sure that you have in your possession all the required documentation. The required documents are as follows:
- A DS-82 form – it has to be completed and signed. In case you choose to write your information by hand, the writing has to be legible.
- Your social security number MUST BE in the form.
- Your current passport – still valid or expired. As long as it meets the criteria above, you re in the clear.
- 1 passport photo – it has to be a US passport photo. It must be 2 by 2 inches and have a white background. The picture cannot be older than 6 months. No glasses.
- If applicable, a document that attests to your name change in original – a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, etc.
Please note that if you send your passport renewal application by mail, you also need a self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope. That will be used by the consulate to send you your old and new passport. Make sure that the envelope is large enough for two passports.
The fee for a US passport renewal in Australia is $110. If you go to the consulate in person, you can pay it in cash using USD or AUD. When you apply for renewal by mail, you can use an Australia Post money order or a bank check. The amount must be payable to the ‘US Consulate General.’
If you need further information about US passport renewal in Australia, feel free to access the Department of State’s website.
Don’t waste your time and start your application 100% online with us now!