US citizens living in Detroit can renew their passports by mail or in person at a passport agency their trip is in less than 2 weeks. Below, you’re going to find all the necessary information for a successful application process.
Most people apply for a passport renewal by mail. which is why we are going to provide more information on this submission method.
iVisa has created for you an easier way to obtain the renewal of your passport in just a few minutes of your time and best of all, you can do it from any location. Keep reading this article in order that you can get more information about passport renewal in Detroit.
Eligibility criteria for a passport renewal by mail
While this is the most commonly used submission method, not everyone is eligible for it. Below, you are going to find the eligibility criteria for a passport renewal by mail. Keep in mind that they are cumulative. All of them must be true in your case.
- The passport you want to renew is still in your possession. It is not lost or stolen. Never has been. Remember that even if it was found/returned to you, you are not eligible for a passport renewal by mail.
- The passport was issued when you were at least 16 years old.
- It has not been more than 15 years since the passport was issued.
- The passport is not damaged. Usual ‘wear and tear’ doesn’t count.
- The passport is in your current name. However, if you legally changed your name and you have the document to attest to it, you can proceed with this submission method.
Once you meet all the requirements mentioned above, you can click here to start completing the form for the renewal of your passport.
What are the requirements for a passport renewal by mail?
Once you determine that you are eligible for a passport renewal by mail, you can proceed and put together all the necessary documentation. Here is what you must submit:
- The passport you want to renew.
- A DS-82 form – you can find it on the US Department of State website. Do not forget to sign and date it before you send it in.
- The document that attests to your name change – this, of course, applies if the name on the passport is not the same as your current name. For instance, if you changed your name after marriage, you have to submit your marriage certificate.
- One passport photo – the picture must be 2 by 2 inches, and it cannot be older than 6 months. Make sure that the background is white, and you do not appear wearing glasses. The US Department of State does not allow eyeglasses in a passport photo as of 2016.
- The passport renewal fee – the amount you must pay for an adult passport book is $110, while the passport card costs $30. You can get both if you’d like. But please do not send cash. You must use a check or a money order payable to the US Department of State.
All of the above must be placed in an envelope large enough so that no document is folded. The address on the envelope should be: National Passport Processing Center, Post Office Box 90155, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155.
It is important that you know that if you decide to apply with iVisa everything will be easier and faster and will not take much time.
What if I don’t qualify for a passport renewal by mail?
If you do not meet the eligibility criteria for submission by mail, you have two choices:
1.If your trip is in less than 2 weeks, you must go personally to a passport agency in Detroit. An expedite fee of $60 must be paid.
2.If your trip is in more than 3 weeks, you must go in-person to a passport acceptance facility.
Please note that the requirements for a passport application in Detroit in person differ. Check the US Department of State website for more information.
It is now or never!! Apply with us and you will really see that you will obtain the renewal of your passport as soon as possible with iVisa.