Passport Renewal in Washington State

Passport Renewal in Washington State

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2020

As a US citizen living in the Washington State area, you can renew your passport by mail if you’re eligible. If you’re not, you can go to a passport agency or a passport acceptance facility, depending on how urgent you need the new travel document.

To make it easier for you, iVisa has implemented this new passport renewal service so that travelers can carry out this process with us since we will do almost the entire process for them. This service is totally virtual and you can do it from anywhere you are and for that, we recommend that you have a laptop or computer and internet access, additionally, a credit/debit card or PayPal. Easy right?

Keep reading this blog and you will discover more information about the passport renewal.

Fill me in

How to find out if you’re eligible for a passport renewal by mail?

The US Department of State has set specific criteria for people who want to renew their passports by mail. So, as long as all of the following are true, you can proceed to submit your application by mail:

  • Your passport is still in your possession.
  • Your passport was issued within the last 15 years,
  • There is no damage to your passport other than the typical ‘wear and tear.’
  • You were at least 16 when the passport you want to renew was issued.
  • The passport is in your current name. Nevertheless, if you have a legal document that confirms your name change, you can proceed with your submission by mail.

How to find out if you must apply for a new passport in person?

If you determine that one or multiple of the following criteria is true, then your only choice is to go to a passport agency or a passport acceptance facility in person:

  • You are not 16 yet.
  • The passport you have was issued when you were younger than 16 years old.
  • Your passport is damaged, has been lost or stolen. It does not matter if it was subsequently found or returned in your possession. You still have to apply for a new passport in person.
  • It has been more than 15 years since your passport was issued.

Now, if you need your new passport in less than a week, you have to go to a passport agency. An expedite fee of $60 must be paid for the urgency. Also, you have to submit proof that your trip is in less than a week.

In all the other cases, you must go to a passport acceptance facility.

What are the requirements when you apply for a passport renewal by mail?

This is the most commonly used submission method. It is less time-consuming. However, there are a few requirements you have to meet. Here is what you’re going to have to submit:

  • The passport you want to renew
  • A completed, dated, and signed DS-82 form. You can find it on the US Department of State website.
  • One passport photo – make sure that it meets the US passport photo requirements. It must be a 2 by 2-inch picture with a white background. As for recency, it can’t be older than 6 months. For more details about the passport photo guidelines, consult the US Department of State website.
  • If applicable, you must be ready to submit the document that attests to your name change. As long as it is a legal document, you are good to go.
  • The passport renewal fee – do not send cash. You can use a check or a money order payable to the US Department of State. The cost of a passport book is $110, while a card is $30.

The bottom line is that passport renewal in Washington State is possible by mail or in person at a passport agency. Please determine which one you are eligible for before proceeding to start the application process.

If you have any questions, you can directly contact our customer service agents who will gladly assist you at any time.

Forget about a lot of paperwork and apply now with iVisa.

Share this article on:
Need Help?