Passport Renewal - Name Change Consequences

Passport Renewal - Name Change Consequences

iVisa | Updated on Jun 26, 2020

If you want to renew your passport but you changed your name since it was first issued, know that you are still eligible for a renewal if you can prove the name change with a legal document. You do not have to apply for a new passport.

The passport renewal after a name change can easily be achieved if you submit the document that attests to it along with all the required documentation. What can that be? It depends on what made you change the name. For instance, if you got married, you need to prove your name change with a marriage certificate. On the other hand, if you got divorced, the divorce decree should clear everything up. And lastly, if you changed your legal name for whatever reason, the name change court order will suffice.

Let us tell you that iVisa is now one of the best options you can have due to the effective and safe way to carry out the passport renewal process, but before applying with us, it is important that you meet each of the requirements that we will mention later.

Remember that this is a virtual process and you can do it from the comfort of your home. Keep reading our blog so you know more about this topic.

Fill me in

What are the other required documents for a passport renewal?

Along with the document that confirms your name change, you have to submit a few other documents. But chances are that you are already prepared. If you have any doubts regarding the documents you need to collect, please do not hesitate to contact our super agents at any time.

First of all, you need to submit your passport. The one you want to renew. Make sure that it meets the eligibility criteria for a passport renewal. We are referring to:

  • You still have it. It is not lost or stolen. Even if it is subsequently found or returned to you, this requirement is not met, and you have to apply for a new passport in person.
  • It was issued within the last 15 years.
  • It is not damaged other than the usual ‘wear and tear’.
  • You were at least 16 when it was issued.

Secondly, you have to submit a DS-82 form. You can find it online on the US Department of State website. You can use the form of filler. Fill in your information, and then print it. Or, you can print the PDF, complete the form by hand, and then sign and date it. It’s as simple as that.

You will also need a passport photo. The US passport photo requirements state that the picture must be 2 by 2 inches, taken on white background no more than 6 months ago. You cannot appear wearing eyeglasses, and you cannot smile. For more US passport photo requirements, please check the US Department of State website.

Do not forget to submit the passport you want to be renewed as well.

And lastly, you will have to submit the payment for your passport renewal. The cost of a passport book is $110, while the passport card is $30. Of course, you can request both, in which case you will be charged $140. The payment cannot be made in cash. You have to use a check or a money order payable to the US Department of State.

Once you have everything above, you have to mail the documentation using the services provided by USPS. Purchase an envelope that can accommodate all your documents without having to fold them.

The address on the envelope should be one of the following:

  • If you live in California, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, or Texas: National Passport Processing Center, Post Office Box 640155, Irving, TX 75064-0155.

  • If you live in any other US state or in Canada: National Passport Processing Center, Post Office Box 90155, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155.

For any additional information, please check out the US Department of State website.

The bottom line is that you can apply for a passport renewal after a name change as long as you can submit the document that attests to it.

iVisa is your best option! We will make the process of your passport renewal quick and simple.

Share this article on:
Need Help?