Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600: What you Should Know

Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600: What you Should Know

iVisa | Updated on Mar 30, 2022

For citizens born outside the U.S. who need proof of U.S. citizenship, the Certificate of Citizenship| File N-600 may be a useful document, especially if the applicant has American parents. Learn more about this process in the lines below.

Fill me in

What is the Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600?

The Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600, also known as “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” is a government form issued by USCIS to use as direct proof of your U.S. citizenship if you were born outside the U.S. to a U.S. citizen parent or parents. This document is particularly useful if you want to get a U.S. passport or apply for immigration benefits on someone else’s behalf.

To learn more information about the File N-600, including who is eligible and what requirements are needed, we suggest reading the information below.

Who is eligible for the Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600?

The Certificate of Citizenship is available only for children born outside the U.S. to biological or adoptive parents that are U.S. citizens. It can be to one single parent or both.

To obtain this certificate, the applicant must:

  • Have a biological or adoptive parent that is a U.S. citizen.
  • Have been born outside the U.S.
  • Automatically obtained citizenship status after he or she was born, but before turning 18.

USCIS uses two terms to describe who is eligible for this document: Acquisition, for children born outside the U.S. to a parent with U.S. citizenship; Derivation to children of parents who are green card holders and got U.S. citizenship.

All About the Certificate of Citizenship

How much does it cost to apply for the Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600?

The filing fee for this process costs USD1,170 unless you are a member or veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces and you are doing this process on your own. The fee waiver does not apply for adopted children or children of veterans, only for veterans or members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Feel free to always check the USCIS website in case there are changes to the fees.

How long does it take to process my Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600?

The average processing time to obtain the Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600 is between 12 - 14 months. However, this processing time depends on the USCIS field office preparing the application.

Getting this certificate may be tedious, but at iVisa.com you can find a lot of help not only with this guide but also with other services online, like 24/7 customer service and more. We do not offer the File N-600, but soon enough will be also offering you this process online so that you can handle it more easily and with professional guidance.

Can I apply for the Certificate of Citizenship online?

Yes, you can apply for the Certificate of Citizenship online or by paper. To apply for this document online, you must read carefully the Form N-600 and submit it. After that, you will have to follow a few steps including paying for the fees and answering the questions asked by the USCIS.

You can also do this process by paper, submitting all of your documents by mail and sending them to the corresponding USCIS field office. However, since the online process is easier, you should try it so that you can finish the process in less time.

How do I submit my Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600?

It is not complicated to submit the File N-600. To complete the application process successfully, you have to do the following:

  • Create a USCIS account online or sign in if you already have one and fill out Form N-600 carefully.
  • Show evidence required and pay the fees electronically.
  • Get updates on your case and view your complete case history by email.
  • Wait for the instructions of the USCIS so that you can respond to requests for evidence.

In case you decide to submit the File N-600 by paper, you have to do this:

  • Read the instructions for Form N-600 before filling in with black ink. Complete this form carefully and sign it.
  • Pay the required fees.
  • Offer all the required supporting evidence and send it among your File N-600 to the corresponding USCIS Field Office (by mail).

Required Documents

Before filling in the Form N-600, you must get the following items first:

  • Two 2x2 passport photographs (you can get help with that by using our Photo Service).
  • Your birth certificate for the record.
  • Valid evidence of the parent’s U.S. citizenship.
  • The U.S. citizen parent’s birth certificate.

However, depending on your case, you could also need the following:

  • Valid proof of either parent’s status as a U.S. citizen
  • Proof of physical presence or residence in the U.S. for the U.S. citizen parent.
  • The parent’s marriage certificate.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent was married before, proof of terminating that marriage.
  • Proof of legitimation for kids born out of wedlock.
  • Proof of legal custody (if applicable).
  • A copy of permanent resident status (if necessary).
  • A copy of the final adoption decree (if applicable).
  • Evidence of re-adoption (if applicable).
  • If legal name changes occurred, evidence of that.

Tips for Filling out the Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600

Applying for the File N-600 is mostly easy, but some tips can be useful so that you have no issues when submitting it:

  • For questions that are not for your case, answer “N/A”, unless otherwise specified.
  • For those questions that require numeric replies, write the word “none” if it does not apply to you.
  • Do not forget that in File N-600 there is additional space in Part 11. You can use that space to complete the answer to any question if the initial space was not enough.
  • Always use black ink to fill in the papers.
  • You can also use additional sheets of paper to answer questions but do not forget to include the page number, part number, and item number as a reference so that the answer can be valid.
  • If necessary, print your A-Number on the upper right corner of the pages.
  • Depending on your case, prepare all the documentation that may be required.

How does applying with iVisa.com work?

iVisa.com is a well-prepared company that can help you with your visa and travel items needs. We know getting a visa can be very tedious, and that’s why our full service includes the following:

  • Online forms with manageable language. Our forms make complex government language easy to understand.
  • Team of specialists ready to review your documents. We’ll review your entire application to make sure your application is error-free.
  • 100% government compliant photos. Use our photo service to get exactly the right photo, all from the comfort of your home. Just take a selfie and our experts will ensure it meets the correct requirements for your visa type.
  • Guidance every step of the way. Our 24/7 customer service team is always available to help you on your application journey.

Do not forget that we do not provide an online process to get the Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600 yet, but we might do it in the future.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if some required documents aren’t available?

In that case, you will be required to offer a typed or printed reason why the requested document is unavailable, and you must also offer secondary proof that acts as an acceptable replacement.

Is it safe to use iVisa.com to get my Spousal Visa | Marriage Green Card | Immigrant Marriage Visas?

We do not offer the Certificate of Citizenship | File N-600 yet, but be aware that our services are reliable thanks to our automated system. Besides, we have an excellent team ready to help you process your documents easier.

I have more unresolved questions, where can I find more info?

Applying for a visa can be complicated, especially when traveling to the U.S. or getting a green card, which is why at iVisa.com we are ready to help you solve your doubts about it. Soon enough will be able to help you get the Marriage Green Card more easily, but in the meantime, feel free to contact our customer service center for more help about this document or other travel documents you are planning to get.

Was this page helpful?