Home > How to apply for a US Tourist visa (B1/B2)

How to apply for a US Tourist visa (B1/B2)

iVisa | Updated on Aug 23, 2022

Please note that as of June 2022 the CDC no longer requires travelers to present a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID pre arrival to the US

We are improving our B1/B2 application process to make sure it is up to date with current US visa policy. We will make this product available again soon. In the mean time, below you will find useful information to keep in mind for your US visa application.

Traveling to the United States means, among other things, that you must take care of the travel permit is the visa. If you are from a visa-exempt country, or your country of origin is in the Visa Waiver Program, you do not have to worry about the visa. You need an ESTA at best. If, however, that is not the case, your only option is to go to the nearest US embassy and apply for your visa there.


The US Tourist visa, otherwise known as a Visitor Visa, is not difficult to achieve. As long as you pay attention to the right steps and you do everything that you are told, the application process should run as smoothly as possible. Keep in mind that the visitor visa covers both tourism and business. The application processes are about the same. Only the required documents differ. These are the ones that you need at the interview.

Step one: fill in the application form

While you can do that at the US embassy as well, remember that the application form is also available online. iVisa will soon be able to help you with the process. In the meantime, we just want to keep you informed.

For you to be able to fill in the form, you will need the following:

  • Valid passport – every person who wishes to apply for a B1/B2 visa is required to hold a passport that is valid for at least another 6 months from the intended date of departure FROM the US.

  • Photo – along with the application form, you need to upload a photograph of yourself. It needs to be as recent as possible and follow all the other photo requirements.

  • E-mail address – once you submit the application, we will process it and send you the application form confirmation page via e-mail. You will have to print it out before you go to your interview.

  • Means of payment – you will have to pay the fee for the B1/B2 visa. In some cases, that is payable after the application form is completed but before the interview. It depends on nationality. Of course, service fees apply. iVisa will accept credit or debit cards, but PayPal will also be considered a valid method of payment.

The form should not be difficult to fill in. iVisa has a fantastic support service that will help you every step of the way. You need to provide your personal information, travel details, and passport information. You must cover the payment of the form, and revise your form, and keep in mind that you must upload the photo we mentioned earlier. If that fails, you should take a photo with you when you go to your interview.

Step two: Pay the fees

A US Tourist visa costs USD $160.00. You need to pay that during the application process or right before the interview. Some nationalities must pay an issuance fee as well.

Step three: schedule and attend the interview

As a result of the application form, you will receive a confirmation page. After that happens, you must schedule an interview with a consular officer at the nearest US embassy. We recommend that you do so at the US embassy in your country. It is not impossible to do that in another country, but that will make things more difficult for you and slower.

During the interview, you will be asked a lot of questions and you will be required to provide all the required documentation. You can find a lot of information online about that, but our recommendation is that you call the embassy before your interview so that you know from a reliable source precisely what you need.

Consequently to your interview, your visa will either be granted or denied. It depends on what the consular officer decides. But either way, the information above should be informative enough on how to apply for a US Tourist visa (B1/B2).

Was this page helpful?