K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa): All You Need To Know

K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa): All You Need To Know

iVisa | Updated on Mar 30, 2022

There are many alternatives to the spouse of a U.S. citizen to enter the U.S., and one of them is the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa). In the following article, you will learn more details about this document.

Fill me in

What is the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa)?

The K-3 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows the foreign-citizen spouse of a U.S. citizen to visit the United States with temporary legal status while waiting to get permanent residence (better known as “green card”). This visa category was created to shorten the physical separation between the foreign spouse and the U.S. citizen so that the foreign spouse can have temporary legal status.

Applying for this document is not always mandatory, but is useful for foreign-citizen spouses of U.S. Citizens. In this guide, we will explain carefully all the details regarding this document, including how much it costs and what documents are required.

Who is eligible for the K-3 Visa?

The K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa) was created for couples who were legally married outside the U.S, and as long as the foreign-citizen spouse meets these criteria:

  • The applicant must be the spouse of a U.S. citizen, not a green cardholder.
  • The applicant must reside in a country outside the U.S.
  • The U.S. spouse must have already filed a sponsorship Form I-130. This form must not have been approved yet, but it should have a receipt notification from USCIS in the meantime.
  • The U.S. citizen spouse must have enough funds to qualify as the financial sponsor. Otherwise, an affidavit from a joint sponsor will be necessary.
  • The foreign-citizen spouse (applicant) can travel with children of his or her own as long as they are unmarried and under the age of 21.

All About the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa)

How much does it cost to apply for the K-3 Visa?

The processing fee for the K-3 Visa is USD265, which can be paid online or during the Interview. Keep in mind that this fee is based only on the processing fee. It does not include other prices like plane tickets, arranging documents, paying a lawyer (if necessary), etc.

How long does it take to process my K-3 Visa?

Applying for a K-3 Visa is a time-consuming process, especially with the waiting period for approval forms. While submitting the Form DS-160 and scheduling an interview, you could easily wait about 6 to 9 months.

Besides, this processing time is just about the same it takes USCIS to approve a marriage green card application, which is why most citizens prefer to apply for the marriage green card instead of the K-3 Visa.

Can I apply for the K-3 Visa online?

The first step of the application process has to be done online. In this part, you have to create a user account on the official website of the U.S. Department of State, and after that, you have to submit Form DS-160. This is the only electronic part of the process, as you will also need to attend an interview once you are done with Form DS-160.

Do not forget to print the confirmation page once you submit Form DS-160.

How do I submit the K-3 Visa?

Getting the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa) is not complicated, but it can be stressful due to the amount of time you spend waiting for approval. However, we can ensure that the application part is easy and not risky. You only have to follow these steps:

  • First: File Form I-129F Petition along with copies of the required documents.
  • Second: Create an account on the official website of the U.S. Department of State so that you can download and submit Form DS-160. Print the confirmation page because you will need it later.
  • Third: Pay for the fees so that you can schedule your interview. Be aware that the interview is usually scheduled 4-6 weeks after the notification is given.
  • Four: Lastly, attend the interview, offer the documentation required, and wait for the approval of your K-3 Visa.

What are the required documents?

As a foreign-citizen spouse, you will have to bring some forms and documents to the visa interview. These are:

  • Form DS-160 submitted and a confirmation page of it.
  • Valid passport.
  • Civil documents like birth certificate, marriage certificate, and police certificate. Divorce or death certificates might be also necessary depending on your circumstances (for example, if you were married before).
  • Medical examination.
  • Evidence of financial support from the U.S. spouse.
  • Two 2x2 photographs.
  • Evidence of relationship with your U.S. spouse.
  • Payment of fees (receipt).

Tips for Filling out the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa)

Applying for the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa) might be a bit stressful when you think about the documentation required and the payments, but we can help you minimize the effort by suggesting you these tips:

  • You may need additional information for the interview like wedding photographs and so on to confirm the relationship.
  • Documents in another language that is not the main language in which the application takes place must be translated.
  • Always take your original documents to the visa interview.
  • Always sign papers with black ink.

How to apply with iVisa.com

We can guarantee that using iVisa.com is very safe because we are a professional visa provider that has been working on this topic for years. Furthermore, we always offer professional guidance to our clients, even if we do not offer the visa yet (just like this case, as we do not offer the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa) yet). Our services include:

  • Online forms with manageable language. All of our online forms make complex government language easy to understand.
  • Team of experts ready to review your documents. We’ll review your entire application to make sure your application is error-free.
  • 100% government compliant photos. Use our photo service to get exactly the right photo, all from the comfort of your home. Just take a selfie and our experts will ensure it meets the correct requirements for your visa type.
  • Professional guidance every step of the way. Our 24/7 customer service team is always available to help you on your application journey.

Do not forget that we do not provide an online process to get the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa) yet, but we might do it in the future.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I work in the U.S. with a K-3 Visa?

Yes. You can work in the U.S. after getting employment permission from the proper authorities. If you wish, you can file for an EAD after arrival to get the work permit.

Is it safe to use iVisa.com to apply for the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa)?

We do not offer the K-3 Visa right now, but we advise you to stay alert to our website as we might help you get this document in the future. Also, we remind you that our services are reliable thanks to our automated system. Besides, we have an excellent team ready to help you process your documents easier.

I have more questions about this visa, where can I find more info?

Applying for a U.S. visa can be difficult, especially when traveling to the U.S. or getting a green card, which is why at iVisa.com we are ready to help you solve your doubts about it. Soon enough will be able to help you get the E-3 Visa more easily, but by now, feel free to contact our customer service center for more help about this document or other travel documents you are planning to get.

Was this page helpful?