The Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters Explained

The Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters Explained

iVisa | Updated on Mar 30, 2022

The United States allows certain foreign citizens who are family members of U.S. citizens to become lawful permanent residents by applying for a Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters or green card. Get to know more about the F1 Visa in the following article.

Fill me in

What is the Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters?

The F1 Visa is a type of green card issued to the family members of the U.S, specifically unmarried sons, and daughters. Be aware that certain conditions apply, and that depending on the family member, it might be necessary to apply for another type of green card.

Keep reading the information below to get more details about the Family First Preference Visa, including who is eligible for it, what documents are required, and tips for filling out the form.

Who can get the Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters?

Only certain family members can get valid entry into the U.S. With an F1 Visa. There are other options for family-based visas, but in the case of the F1, the following is mandatory:

  • The daughters and sons must be unmarried, and they must be children of U.S. citizens (not permanent residents).
  • The daughters and sons must be 21 years or older.
  • The adult son or daughter must have met the legal definition of “child” when he/she was younger than 21 under U.S. immigration law.

All About the Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters

How much does it cost to apply for the Family First Preference (F1) Visa?

The pricing is divided into two parts, one for filling in Form I-130, and another for processing the Form DS-260. These prices are:

  • USD535 to file Form I-130.
  • USD325 to process the Form DS-260

How long does it take to process my Family First Preference (F1) Visa?

For all family-based visas, the time frame to get approval can be a bit long. In other words, it can take as short as 5 months for some categories (including F1 Visas), but many years for others. Remember that it also depends on U.S. law, as it limits the number of immigrant visa numbers available for each year.

Remember to always fill in the required forms as soon as possible so that the waiting is not that long. However, applying for a visa is always a time-consuming process, so you might expect several months or even years before getting the F1 Visa approved. At we know how frustrating it can be, which is why we brought you this guide and we also inform you that soon enough will offer a special service to help you process this visa more easily.

Can I apply for the Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters online?

Part of this process can be done online. The first step, which is to fill in the USCIS Form I-130, is completely online, but remember that you must create a USCIS account first (you can do that on the official USCIS website).

Do not forget that submitting FORM I-130 is the first step in helping your son or daughter to immigrate to the U.S. and get a Green Card. Nevertheless, the approval of this first petition does not give your relative automated status of benefit, as it is only the initial part of the process.

How do I submit my Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters?

There are 4 steps to follow to successfully submit the Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters:

  • First Step: The U.S. citizen will have to mail a visa petition on USCIS Form I-130, which is an online process. The U.S. Citizen has to do this with accompanying documents, and he or she has to prove that the family relationship with the unmarried song and/or daughter is real.
  • Second Step: In this part, the applicant has to wait for the USCIS decision. Once the USCIS gets the petition, the officers will verify everything to approve or deny the request. If the case is approved, then the applicant will have to submit some documents required and wait for the visa.
  • Third Step: In this part, the unmarried son or daughter has to wait until a visa becomes available (the limit is about 226,000 visas per year).
  • Fourth Step: If the unmarried son or daughter is abroad, then he or she will have to attend an interview in the nearest US Embassy/Consulate and wait for the visa approval. After that, he or she will be able to enter the United States with a Family First Preference (F1) Visa.

If the case is denied at the beginning (when submitting the USCIS Form I-130), the petitioner can file a new petition after seeing what changes need to be done to encourage approval.

Required Documents

The documents may vary a little depending on the person, as some things are necessary for the petitioner and others for the unmarried son or daughter. The principal applicant needs the following to help make this process a bit easier:

  • Form I-485.
  • Copy of Form I-797.
  • Two passport-style photos.
  • Form I-864.
  • Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record.
  • Evidence of your U.S Citizenship, which can be: a copy of your U.S. birth certificate, or a copy of your unexpired U.S. passport, or a copy of your Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a copy of your naturalization certificate, or even a copy of your certificate of citizenship.
  • Certified police and court records of criminal charges, arrests, or convictions (if applicable).
  • Documentation of past or present J-1 or J-2 nonimmigrant status (if necessary), including proof of agreement with or a waiver of the 2-year foreign residence requirement under INA 212(e). As for the unmarried son or daughter, the following items are required while the principal applicant completes part of the process:
  • Form I-485.
  • A copy of documentation showing the relationship to the principal applicant.
  • A copy of the Form I-797, Approval or Receipt Notice, for the principal applicant’s Form I‑130 (unless the family member is filling the Form I-485 together with their Form I‑485).
  • Two passport-style photographs.
  • A copy of birth certificate.
  • A copy of a valid passport. Other items might be required depending on the case, including if the principal applicant is a U.S. Citizen under naturalization. There is more useful information about this process and the required items on the USCIS principal website.

Tips for Filling out the Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters

Take into account the following recommendations so that you can have a successful process:

  • The Family First Preference (F1) Visa is available only for unmarried sons or daughters 21 years old or older, and only if they are family members of a U.S. Citizen. Therefore, be aware of having all the documentation required to confirm that the family relationship is real.
  • The process to get this green card is complicated, which is why so many documents are required. Remember to always confirm on the USCIS official website if you have all the items required.
  • Always use black ink to fill in and sign papers, and do not forget to review the information to make sure that it is correct.

How does applying with work? is here to help with your visa and travel items needs. We know applying for a visa can be very tedious, and that’s why our full service includes the following:

  • Online forms with simple language. Our application forms make complex government language easy to understand.
  • Team of experts to review your documents. We’ll review your entire application to make sure your application is error-free.
  • 100% government compliant photos. Use our photo service to get exactly the right photo, all from the comfort of your home. Just take a selfie and our experts will ensure it meets the correct requirements for your visa type.
  • Guidance every step of the way. Our 24/7 customer service team is always available to help you on your application journey.

Remember that we do not offer an online process to get the Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters yet, but we might do it in the future.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will the family member get the visa and enter the U.S.?

This process can take even 1 to 2 years to be ready, and therefore, get the F1 Visa. Moreover, this process can take longer for citizens of Mexico and the Philippines (from 3 to 10 years). Therefore, we remind all applicants that this is a very long process, but it is worth it to enter the U.S. with a Green Card.

Is it safe to use to get my Family First Preference (F1) Visa for Unmarried Sons and Daughters?

We do not offer the F1 Visa yet but rest assured that our services are 100% reliable thanks to our automated system. Besides, we have an excellent team ready to help you process your documents easier.

I have more unresolved questions, where can I find more info?

Getting a visa can be complicated, especially when traveling to the U.S. or getting a green card, which is why at we are ready to help you solve your doubts about it. Soon enough will be able to help you get the F1 Visa more easily, but in the meantime, feel free to contact our customer service center for more help about this document or other travel documents you are planning to get.

Was this page helpful?