Generally speaking, a foreign citizen who wishes to visit the U.S. must first apply for a visa, especially if he or she is seeking paid work. This may be easier for applicants under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) as they may apply for the TN Visa for Nafta Professionals. Get to know more about it in the information below.
What is the TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals?
The TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals is a type of visa that allows citizens of Mexico and Canada (only as NAFTA professionals) to work in the U.S. by pre-arranging business activities for U.S. or foreign employers. This document is available only for the citizens of these countries under NAFTA, not for permanent residents.
Only certain qualified citizens can apply for this visa by following determined criteria, including having a pre-arranged U.S. job offer.
To learn more about the TN Visa, including the cost, the processing time, and the requirements needed, we recommend reading the information below.
Who is eligible to get the TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals?
Only Canadian and Mexican citizens with pre-arranged and qualified U.S job offers can apply for a TN Visa so that they can work in the U.S. Therefore, this job must fall under the list of NAFTA professional categories. Aside from that, the applicant must have a certain background, including a bachelor’s degree.
This is the criteria the applicant must follow:
- The applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
- The profession is on the NAFTA list;
- The position required is in the United States and it requires a NAFTA professional;
- The applicant will work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job for an employer (see Required Documentation). Self-employment is not allowed.
- The applicant has the qualifications, specific requirements, education, and/or experience for the profession.
All About the TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals
How much does it cost to apply for a TN Visa?
The fees can vary a little depending on the applicant. For example, if the applicant decides to contact a lawyer, then the total price for the TN Visa will be higher.
These are the fees required to process a TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals:
- USD160 for the Visa Application Filing Fee (this fee can be confirmed when entering the USCIS website).
- USD460 for the USCIS petition filing fee, but only necessary if the foreign citizen is inside the U.S. and changes the visa status. However, applying via CBP at a port of entry can cost USD50 (only for Canadians).
- If the applicant decides to process the visa with Premium Processing to get the TN Visa within 15 business days, then there will be an extra price of USD2,500.
Be aware that we are not including the cost of traveling to the U.S. as well as lawyers’ fees.
How long does it take to process a TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals?
This is not a complicated process for NAFTA Professionals, which is why it can take only a few months (2 to 6 months) to receive the TN Visa. However, there is a Premium Processing that allows you as a NAFTA Professional to get your visa in 15 business days at most.
Please notice that sometimes the process can take longer depending on several factors, like getting the documentation ready. At iVisa.com we are working hard to bring you an online service that will allow you to process your TN Visa as fast as possible. While we prepare that service, we recommend you continue reading this guide.
Can I apply for a TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals online?
The first steps to process your TN Visa are completely online. Remember that the employer must submit a Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker (Form I-129), and you have to fill in an Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, another online process as well.
Most of the process can be done with a computer and a WiFi Connection, but the interview at the embassy is presential.
Interviews are mostly required for visa applicants with certain limited exceptions (for example, being 80 years old and older). Please be aware that wait times for interviews vary by location, so you should apply for your visa early.
How can I apply for a TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals?
Generally speaking, the application process has only between 3 and 4 steps, but it depends on your nationality.
If you are Canadian, you can do one of these:
- Apply at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) when arriving in the U.S.
- Apply through an online application. Your employer must submit Form I-129 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services so that you can seek entry once the application is approved. You will have to seek entry at a U.S. port of entry.
However, if you are Mexican, then the steps differ a little. You will have to do the following:
- Step 1: You have to submit your paperwork to a U.S. embassy or consulate along with Form DS-160 (you can fill this form online) and a passport-style photo.
- Step 2: You have to schedule an interview at your local U.S. embassy.
- Step 3: You have to attend the interview and then wait for the approval.
- Step 4: Once you get your visa approved, you are ready to seek entry at the U.S. port of entry and that’s it!
Applying for a TN Visa is generally easy, and the documents required aren’t complicated to get. For every TN application process, you will need the following items:
- A TN support letter from your employer.
- The application fee.
- Form I-129 (signed and submitted by your employer).
- Form DS-160 (if you are Mexican).
Aside from that, you will also have to collect the following for the embassy interview if you are a Mexican:
- A valid passport for travel to the United States.
- The Application fee payment receipt.
- A professional passport-style photo.
- A letter of employment in the United States.
- Documentation proving that you meet the minimum education and/or work experience requirements.
Tips for Filling out the TN Visa:
There are some recommendations to keep in mind when processing the TN Visa. We remind you the following so that you can apply for your Visa without much stress:
- The job title does not have to meet the NAFTA category perfectly, so do not worry when pointing out your professional category.
- Always sign with black ink.
- If you have to attend an interview at the embassy, get the documentation required and ready with plenty of time in advance.
- This visa is available only for NAFTA workers, nor for any kind of worker in Mexico or Canada.
How does apply with iVisa.com work?
iVisa.com is an entitled company that distributes visas and other travel documents. We do not process TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals yet, but we are working very hard to include an automatic service to process this visa in the most comfortable and fastest way possible. In the meantime, feel free to explore our website if you are searching for other documents to travel abroad. As for the benefits you get using our services, here are some:
- Online electronic forms with understandable language. Our online forms adapt complex government language into something easier to understand.
- Specialists ready to verify your documents. We’ll check your entire application to ensure your application is error-free.
- 100% government compliant photos. Getting the right photo is important, especially in visa processes. You can use our photo service to get exactly the right photo for your documentation processes, all from the comfort of your home. Just take a selfie and our experts will ensure it meets the correct requirements for your visa type.
- Complete guidance every step of the way. Our 24/7 customer service team is always prepared to help you on your application journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is TN status valid for?
The TN Visa is valid for 3 years at a time but is renewable.
What should I do if I get rejected?
Valid TN Visa applications are hardly rejected, but in that case, the employee can make use of a “withdrawal”, especially if the applicant is a Canadian employee and he or she applies at a pre-clearance facility.
Is it safe to use iVisa.com to apply for a TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals?
After we launch the electronic process to help you with the TN Visa, you can feel very safe because we always provide reliable services. We do not put any information in danger. Besides, we always help our customers with any doubt they have through our customer service center.
I have more questions about this visa, where can I find more info?
Applying for a TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals is not too difficult, but it can be a bit stressful, which is why we are ready to help you with this matter by offering you valuable information and appropriate guidance 24/7. Plus, we may offer a faster service to process this renewal very soon.
We remind you that you can always get more information about the things we offer at iVisa.com’s page or you can also reach out to our customer service center, which is available at any time to help you with any doubts you have!