What is the difference between EVUS and visa?

What is the difference between EVUS and visa?

iVisa | Updated on Jul 07, 2022

Please note that as of June 2022 the CDC no longer requires travelers to present a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID pre arrival to the US

For Chinese citizens, it’s normal to have some doubts about the concept of Visitor Visa and EVUS, especially when organizing all the documents to travel to the United States. Both the Visitor Visa and the EVUS are essential to land in the United States without problems. For this reason, it’s important to remark that these documents are completely different, and therefore, the steps to follow to obtain them also differ.

Fill me in

To help you with this task, you can find in this article what you need to apply for EVUS and also useful information if you haven’t applied for your Visitor visa yet.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS)?

EVUS is the name of an online system launched for Chinese citizens holding a Visitor Visa so they can enter the United States of America legally. This document only requires a few steps to apply online and it’s available only for Chinese, at least by now.

What is a U.S. Visa?

The U.S. Visa is a document required to certain foreign citizens, including Chinese. This document is placed in the traveler’s passport and is usually valid for 5 or 10 years.

There are multiple types of Visa to enter the U.S. according to the traveler’s purpose in the country. The most requested is the B1, B2, or simply B1/B2 Visitor Visa that allows you to travel to the country for business or entertainment.

What is the difference between the U.S. Visa and the EVUS?

As you could read above, these documents are different, and if you’re Chinese, you might need both of them. The EVUS enrollment doesn’t meet the legal conditions that the U.S. Visa does, and that’s why both of their processes differ as well.

If you have a B1, B2, or B1/B2 Visitor visa and a valid Chinese passport, you still have to enroll with EVUS. On the contrary, if you have another type of visa with 10-year validity, then you don’t have to apply for EVUS.

How can I know if I’m able to apply for EVUS?

The first thing that you have to do it´s to know if you can apply for an EVUS. You can confirm this if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are a Chinese citizen with a valid Chinese passport.
  • Your trip to the U.S. is only for business or entertainment (you don’t have a study visa).
  • You’re renewing your EVUS.

If your answer to these requirements is “yes”, then you’re ready to get your EVUS, so keep reading the information below to learn the next steps.

What are the documents do I need to apply for EVUS online?

Once you confirm the initial requirements, you have to collect other documents when applying online, but these aren’t hard to find. You might already have most of them, if not all. This is the checklist you have to follow to apply online:

  • Valid Chinese passport.
  • A copy of your passport’s information page
  • The B1, B2, or B1/B2 visa.
  • A valid email address to get the EVUS.
  • A valid payment option is required too. The options allowed are credit/debit card or Paypal.
  • Your contact information.

What prices and processing times are available to the EVUS?

The EVUS is not as expensive as the U.S. Visa. We cannot offer you the U.S. Visa since this document is only available in official U.S. embassies. What we can offer you is the EVUS enrollment, and that’s a relief if you want to avoid a bureaucratic process and you’ve had enough stress with the Visitor Visa. iVisa.com is ready to provide you three great procedure times and prices that will vary depending on how fast you want to receive your EVUS:

  • Standard Processing Time: 7 days - the price for this option is USD 37.49.
  • Rush Processing Time: 5 days - in this case, the price is USD 61.99.
  • Super Rush Processing Time: 3 days - since this is the fastest option, the price is the highest. It is USD 106.99.

How can I enroll with EVUS?

You have two options to enroll with EVUS, and you can choose any of them, but you must take note of their differences. One of these options is the Official EVUS enrollment website, which is free by now, but it doesn’t have an easy system and you might spend a long time answering the online forms. The other option is the

iVisa.com’s online form, which has a user-friendly system and allows you to complete the questionnaire in only 20 minutes or even less!

If you apply with iVisa.com, you have to follow these steps:

  • The first step is to complete the first questionnaire with your basic information. After that, you have to select your procedure time too.
  • The second step is to verify the information you gave in step one, so be careful in this part. You also have to keep on hand your credit/debit card or Paypal account to pay iVisa.com’s service.
  • The third and last step is to attach the scan of your passport and B1/B2 valid visa, and finally click on the submit button.

Nothing else after that! Just wait for your EVUS depending on the processing time you selected.

Are there other countries that need to enroll with EVUS?

The EVUS is a recent document, it was launched in 2016, and that’s why it’s been available only for Chinese, at least by now. The U.S. Government recently stated that other countries will need this requirement in the future.

Where can I apply for my U.S. Visa?

Remember that the U.S. Visa is only available through the official U.S. Government website, and you need to go to an appointment interview in your nearest U.S. embassy to receive the visa. At this moment, iVisa.com isn’t offering U.S. Visitor Visas, we only offer EVUS enrollment.

Where can I find more information?

Do you need to solve other questions about EVUS enrollment? Then we invite you to contact iVisa.com’s support service. You can also read more details about this process on our website.

Start your online application today and forget about paperwork!

Was this page helpful?