Learn More: ETA
Updated July 2022
Australia has been open for international travel since February 21, 2022. If you're planning to travel to Australia, you should know that you'll need to get an Australian travel visa to enter the country. The Electronic Travel Authority (ETA, a type of Australia Visa) is available to most nationalities to obtain before their trip.
In this article, we will share with you up-to-date information about the visa requirements and the step-by-step process you'll need to follow to complete your Australian visa application.
Australia is a top destination worldwide and whether you want to visit for tourism or business purposes, this is the right visa for you. Once you learn how to get your Electronic Travel Authority to enter Australia, you'll be all set to enjoy the country's top attractions.
What is an Australian visa?
An Australian Visa or Australia ETA, also known as the Australia tourist visa to many, is part of the Australia entry requirements process and grants entry to passport holders of selected countries. Visitors can travel to Australia for tourism or business purposes with this document. Your ETA does not authorize you to live permanently or work in Australia. It is intended only for short-term business or tourism stays.
The application process is done fully online, and the Australia visa is processed by Australia's department of home affairs.
Australia Visa Requirements
Getting the Electronic Travel Authority is easier than you might think. You can complete the application process from your home or office and go ahead with your travel plans as soon as you are ready. The only requirement for the Australia visa is having a valid passport from one of the current members of the list you'll find below.
Who can apply for an Australia ETA?
Citizens from over 50 eligible countries can visit Australia with this electronic visa.
However, being on the list does not guarantee that you can get a visa. Due to strict travel restrictions, you might not be able to apply for an ETA at the moment. We recommend you use our visa checker tool to see the current application status for citizens of your country.
- The eligible countries are: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong (SAR of China), Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Portugal, Republic of San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (excluding official or diplomatic passports), The Netherlands, United Kingdom—British Citizen, United Kingdom—British National (Overseas), United States of America, and Vatican City.
In some circumstances, there are additional restrictions for travelers planning to visit Australia for tourism or business. For example, visitors cannot have any criminal convictions to be eligible for an ETA. Also, this visa cannot be used to get medical treatment in Australia. In both cases, you'll need to apply for a different Australia visa (a Visitor - Subclass 600 visa). If these restrictions apply to you, you'll need to contact the Australian embassy or consulate near you to get the right visa for your travel plans.
But in most cases, you can apply for your Australia ETA through our website. There's no need to visit an embassy or consulate to get this travel permit. If you hold more than one passport, you must declare it at the time of your application. And, if one of those passports is an Australian passport, you don't need to apply for this document to travel to Australia.
Remember that the Australia ETA is only valid for international travel in Australia, for tourism, or for business purposes.
When should I apply for my Australian visa?
Getting your visa can take up to 24 hours, which means you should give the application process a day to be completed. That being said, for travelers who are in a rush, we offer processing speeds that are as fast as 1 hour.
Visitors are not allowed to apply for their ETA from Australia. So you will need to complete your application from your country of origin.
In case your visa expires while you're in Australia, you would have to leave the country and apply for a new ETA before returning. You can also contact the immigration office to explore other visa types that might fit your individual circumstances.
We do not recommend staying in Australia beyond your visa validity period, as it might result in fines or future travel restrictions.
How long does the Australian Visa last?
Once you get your Electronic Travel Authority granted, you'll be able to see the validity period on your Australia travel visa. This expiration date will either be 1 year after issued, or the expiration date of your passport, whichever is earliest.
For example, if your ETA is approved in June 2018, but your passport expires in February 2019, your ETA won't last for a year. It will expire in February 2019, on the same date as your passport.
After your passport or visa expires, you can apply for an ETA again.
How many times can I enter Australia with this visa?
Your valid Australian visa allows for Multiple Entry. You can visit the country as many times as you like, within the timeframe stated on the document. The only thing you need to consider is that each stay cannot be over 90 days Per Entry.
Please note that if you're transiting through Australia for less than 8 hours and you remain in the transit area, you don't have to apply for an ETA. However, there are some passport holders that must get a transit visa. We recommend checking the website of your local Australian embassy or consulate to find out more about this visa.
What do applicants need to apply online for the Australian Visa?
The Australian government requires that applicants have a valid passport to be able to apply for this electronic visa. It cannot be expired or in poor condition. It should also have blank pages available for every entry into Australia.
With this document handy, you'll be able to complete the online application form. You'll also need a credit or debit card to pay the fee and a valid email address to receive your document. This visa is not stamped on your passport, but it is electronically linked to it.
How to complete the Australian Visa application using iVisa.com services
It's quite easy. The whole process takes 15 minutes or less, in just 3 steps:
- First, you'll need to fill out an online form with your personal information. The information needs to be exactly as it is stated on your passport. Otherwise, you might risk your visa being rejected.
- Second, we'll ask you to double-check the information to make sure there are no errors. That way we can ensure the fastest service. If everything looks good, you move forward to selecting how soon you want to receive your visa.
- Third, you pay for our visa services with your debit or credit card.
Once your visa is approved, we will send it to you via email. You'll be able to use this visa to travel to Australia on a temporary basis, whether for tourism or for business purposes.
Do children also need to complete the Australian Visa application?
Yes, all passport holders, regardless of their age, will need to apply for a valid visa to travel to Australia.
If you use our visa services, you can include all your family members in the same application. We will process all the visas separately and you'll receive one PDF document for each traveler.
We recommend that you print the visas before your trip to Australia.
What's the cost of the Australia Visa and how long does it take to process it?
The price of your visa will depend on how fast you want to get it:
- Standard processing time is 24 hours and it costs USD 55.00.
- Rush processing time of 4 hours which costs USD 85.00.
- Super rush processing of 1 hour for USD 120.00.
All our service prices include the Australian government fee of USD 20.00.
Australia COVID-19 Entry Requirements
COVID vaccination passports or certificates are no longer mandatory to enter Australia. Since information may change quickly, we advise you to follow up on the latest Australia travel updates and/or contact your local embassy.
Currently, there are no requirements for COVID test in Australia.
- Quarantine requirements: There are no quarantine requirements in Australia.
It's not necessary for incoming travelers to carry health insurance but it is recommended.
If I have more questions, who can I contact?
For any visa Australia questions or additional information, you can contact our customer support agents. They are available 24/7 to answer any inquiries you might have about your visa to Australia and any other services we provide. If you apply with us, they will also be able to provide updates on the status of your visa application.
Required Documents to Apply
A current valid passport
A credit/debit card
The Australian ETA visa is a Multiple Entry visa with a validity period of 1 year after issued, allowing a maximum stay of 90 days Per Entry.
You are permitted to stay beyond your visa's validity date, but not beyond the 90 days Per Entry
Your ETA does not allow you to work within Australia: it is intended only for business and tourist activity.
If you have a long name or multiple given names, only the first 24 letters will appear on your visa.
People with dual nationality should choose the nationality according to the passport to be used for the travel.
Your passport must be valid (not expired) when you board your flight and when you enter Australia. It must be an ordinary/regular passport.
Your ETA visa is electronically linked to your passport number. There is no stamp or label in your passport.
As the holder of a ETA, this visa allows you to stay for a maximum of 90 days Per Entry.
If you obtain a new passport for any reason, you will need to re-apply for a new Australian ETA.
The ETA visa is valid through to the expiration date listed on it, which is the last day you have the authority to enter Australia.
This expiration date of the Australian ETA will be either 1 year after issued, the expiration of your passport, or earlier if a current visa already exists in the immigration system. For example, if your ETA approval is in June 2018, but your passport expiration is in February 2019, your ETA will expire on the same date of your passport; otherwise it will expire in June 2019.
Was this page helpful?
Our customers have great stories about us
Frequently Asked Questions
Is iVisa.com a legitimate company?
Our Company is accredited and recognized by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and has a validated IATA Agency Code. If you want to check this information you can verify our membership using our bearing No. 23716873 at http://store.iata.org/ieccacfree.
Remember that the customer service team at iVisa.com is here 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about our service.
What conditions must the applicant’s passport meet for an ETA?
I made a mistake on my application, what can I do?
Does my ETA come with any restrictions?
- You may not work.
- Your visit must be no longer than 3 months (per visit).
- You must not have tuberculosis (TB)
- You must not have any criminal convictions.
Can I apply for an ETA in Australia?
If I am only passing through Australia, do I need an ETA?
Do I need to have a flight booked before applying for the visa?
My passport is valid for less than six months. Can I still apply for an ETA?
Do I need to enter Australia on the exact date specified on my ETA?
What if I want to enter Australia before my ETA validity period?
If I already possess a valid Australian ETA, can I apply for a new one?
How do I know if my Australian ETA is still valid for travel to Australia?
What are the yellow fever vaccination requirements to travel to Australia?
A yellow fever vaccine is required if traveling from a country with risk of yellow fever transmission.
More information in the following link: https://www.who.int/ith/ITH_Annex_I.pdf
Learn more about Australia Tourism
Where can I read more?
- Visa Requirements For Australia from the USA
- Australia Visa Types: Check your alternatives
- Australia ETA Rules: Check them out
- Australia ETA Definition: We can explain it
- Which one do I need? The Australia ETA or visa?
- An easy way to get an ETA or an Australian visa
- Is there an Australian visa for Singapore Citizens?
- Australia ETA cost and fees
- HOW TO ENTER AUSTRALIA DURING COVID-19 FOR NEW ZEALANDERS
- Australia ETA processing time - How long does it take?
- Do I need an Australia ETA or an eVisitor?
- Australia eVisitor Visa processing time and status check
- Is the eVisitor visa for Australia free?
- Australia Visa for Canadian Citizens
- Australia ETA Frequently Asked Questions
- How to apply for an eVisitor visa (Subclass 651) for Australia
- Australia Vaccination Requirement: Do I need a vaccine to travel to Australia?
- HOW TO ENTER AUSTRALIA DURING COVID-19 FOR IMMEDIATE FAMILY
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR UK CITIZENS
- Australia Transit Visa For Indian Citizens
- How can citizens of Canada enter Australia during coronavirus?
- How Citizens of Singapore can enter Australia during Coronavirus?
- How Citizens of the United States can enter Australia during Coronavirus?
- Vaccination Passport Australia: The Complete Guide
- Australia Covid Quarantine Hotel
- Australia Covid Test
- Australia Covid Travel Restrictions
- How Citizens of the United Kingdom Can Enter Australia During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of China Can Enter Australia During Coronavirus
- Australia Covid Entry Rules
- HOW TO ENTER AUSTRALIA DURING COVID-19 FOR PERMANENT RESIDENTS
- Australian visa for Swedish citizens
- Australia ETA for Citizens of Germany
- Australia evisitor countries
- Australia ETA validity
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Estonia
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Sweden
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Hungary
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Vatican City
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Norway
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Latvia
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Switzerland
- Australian visa for French citizens
- Australian visa for Swiss citizens
- Australian visa for Irish
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Iceland
- Australian visa for Austrian
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of the Republic of San Marino
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Lithuania
- Australia ETA for the citizens of Hong Kong
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Finland
- Australia ETA for US citizens
- Australian visa for Finnish citizens
- Australia Visa Policy
- Australia ETA for the citizens of the Netherlands
- Do I need a Business ETA for Australia?
- What is an Australia eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651)?
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Belgium
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Croatia
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of the Czech Republic
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of the United Kingdom
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Slovakia
- Australia visa for Monegasques
- Australia visa for Icelanders
- Australia visa for Sammarinese
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR HONG KONGERS
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR MALAYSIANS
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR DUTCH CITIZENS
- Can I get an ETA for Australia online?
- What is an Australia ETA (subclass 601)
- Is the Australia ETA free?
- Australia visa for Liechtenstein
- How to apply for an Australia ETA
- AUSTRALIAN VISA FOR DANISH CITIZENS
- AUSTRALIA E-VISITOR VISA COST
- CAN I GET AN AUSTRALIA VISA EXTENSION?
- Australia visa for Luxembourg
- Essential Australia
- AUSTRALIA TRANSIT VISA FEES
- HOW TO ENTER AUSTRALIA FOR THE ICC T20 WORLD CUP
- AUSTRALIA TRANSIT VISA REQUIREMENTS
- Surfing and enjoying with a Visa to Australia
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR PORTUGUESE CITIZENS
- Australian visa for Italian citizen
- Australia visa for Japanese
- Australian visa for Spanish citizens
- AUSTRALIA ETA FOR MALAYSIAN CITIZENS
- Australian visa for Greek citizens
- Australia visa for Norwegians
- Australian visa for German passport holder
- AUSTRALIAN VISA FOR BELGIAN CITIZENS
- Australian ETA for British passport holders
- MUST I APPLY FOR AN AUSTRALIAN ETA STRAIGHT AT THE ISSUING AUTHORITY?
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR MALTESE
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Romania
- AUSTRALIA EVISITOR VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF BULGARIA
- AUSTRALIA ETA RENEWAL - WHEN IS IT NECESSARY?
- How to perform an Australia ETA check
- Is the Australia eVisitor visa necessary for USA citizens?
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR ANDORRANS
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR SOUTH KOREAN
- Australia ETA for the citizens of Canada
- Australia ETA for the citizens of Italy
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of Poland
- Australia eVisitor visa for the citizens of the Netherlands
- Australia ETA for the citizens of Singapore
- Is the eVisitor for Australia a multiple entry visa?
- AUSTRALIA VISA GROUP APPLICATION
- AUSTRALIA VISA FOR BRUNEIANS
- Australia eVisitor Frequently Asked Questions (Helpdesk)
- Australia eVisitor visa requirements
- Do I need an ETA or a travel visa for Australia?
- Must I get an ETA or a tourist visa for a trip to Australia?
- Australia ETA for the citizens of UK
- Australia ETA requirements