Learn More: Tourist eVisa
Content updated, February 2023
Travel to Tanzania with a Tourist eVisa! Apply with iVisa
Are you planning a trip to Tanzania? Have you checked the requirements for a Tanzania online visa? A visa for Tanzania can easily be obtained by applying online. Luckily for you, with iVisa you don’t have to visit the embassy or even leave your house to get this electronic visa.
In November 2018, Tanzania introduced the Tanzania e-Visa system to reduce face-to-face interaction time between international travelers and the immigration authorities.
All eligible visitors who wish to visit Tanzania just need to complete a Tanzania visa application form and the valid eVisa will be delivered to your email. Yep, it's that easy to visit Tanzania.
In this article, we answer your most common queries about the Tanzania Visa and how to complete the visa application successfully.
At iVisawe offer various pricing options, depending on how fast you need your Tanzania e-Visa, and you can have it in your email inbox as fast as 11 Business Days.
What is a Tanzania eVisa?
The Tanzania Visa is an electronic travel document that allows citizens from eligible countries to travel to and within Tanzania (including Zanzibar). The Tanzania e-Visa is valid for tourism and leisure purposes, such as a holiday in mainland Tanzania or Zanzibar, or to visit family or friends.
Eligible travelers must apply for a Tanzania tourist visa online before visiting the country. With iVisa there is no need to visit the Consulate Office to get this visa for Tanzania.
ll you need to do is fill out the Tanzania visa application form. It's easy and won't take longer than 10 minutes to complete. You are required to provide some personal and passport information as well as to indicate the reason for traveling and provide the intended date of entry to Tanzania.
Who is Eligible to apply for the Tanzania Visa?
Over 150 different countries are eligible to apply for the Tanzania electronic visa. The best way to determine if you can apply is by using our Visa Checker tool. Just enter your country of origin and your destination, click 'Get Started' and you'll be given citizen-specific information.
You can also find more information about eligible countries in the FAQs below.
NOTE: Having a visa for Tanzania does not provide you with an automatic right of entry into the country. The immigration officers at the port of entry may refuse entry to any person if they think that they cannot fulfill the immigration requirements or if their presence in the United Republic of Tanzania would be dangerous for national interests or security.
How long is the Tanzania online visa valid for?
For the majority of eligible nationalities, this electronic visa is available as a Single Entry visa for a stay of up to 90 days Per Entry, and is valid for 90 days after arrival. This depends on your country of citizenship.
For US citizens, the Tanzania online visa is valid as a Multiple Entry visa, allows stays of up to 90 days Per Entry within every 180 days, and is valid for 1 year after arrival.
Eligible applicants can apply through the simple Tanzania visa online application form.
What can I do with the Tanzania Tourist eVisa?
If you are applying for a single entry Tanzania eVisa, the purpose of your trip must be to do tourism, leisure activities, go on a holiday, attend conferences, do humanitarian and charity activities, visit family, or receive health treatment, and you can’t stay in the country for more than 90 days after arrival.
American citizens are not entitled to apply for a single-entry eVisa, and must therefore apply for a multiple-entry eVisa.
Do I need a Tanzania Tourist visa if I am transiting through the country?
You can use your Tanzania Tourist Visa for doing stopovers at the airport, but for this case it would be better to apply for the Tanzania Transit Visa.
At iVisa we also offer the Tanzania Transit Visa to a number of nationalities.
What is a Transit Visa?
The Tanzania Transit Visa is an authorization to cross Tanzania from one entry point to another. Is created for people whose purpose in entering Tanzania is to pass through without visiting. It is valid for 7 days after arrival and is a Single Entry visa to enter Tanzania only for transit purposes.
Travelers applying for a transit visa in Tanzania may be required to show proof of an onward flight ticket and/or a valid visa for the final destination country.
What documents do I need to apply for the Tanzania Tourist eVisa?
To apply for the Tanzania tourist E-visa and be able to enter Tanzania, applicants need to meet the following requirements:
- Business Registration of Inviting Company (if applicable)
- Applicant Photo
- Valid passport - valid for at least six months from the intended date of arrival, with at least 1 blank page for stamping. It is essential for travelers with dual nationality to ensure they travel with the same passport used to complete the Tanzania visa application.
- Passport Personal Details Scan
- Credit or debit card - to pay the processing and government fees
- A valid email address - to receive the approved application notification letter and visa grant notice, and any updates and notifications. At any point if we need more information we will contact you via email.
- Airline Confirmation - Passengers may be asked to provide proof or return to their origin country or an onward ticket.
- Proof of Marriage or Spousal Relationship (if applicable)
- Invitation letter/ request letter for Visa from your Host in Tanzania (if applicable)
How can I apply for this eVisa online?
iVisa has a very easy online application process with few steps you need to follow. It will take you less than 15 minutes!
- Step 1 - Complete the eVisa application form. You need to enter your **personal information, passport, travel details, and email address. This is essential, because the approved e-Visa will be delivered via email.
- Step 2 - Confirm payment for your visa to Tanzania - You can pay with either a credit/debit card or PayPal. Travelers must pay a small processing fee to submit their visa application, there are 3 options detailed below, choose the one that best suits your needs.
- Step 3 - Receive your approved visa to Tanzania. After confirming payment, the visa for Tanzania is processed. Once approved, it is sent by email to your email address, provided during the application process.
The applicant must also print a copy of the approved application notification letter and visa grant notice to present at Tanzanian border control, to gain expedited entry to the country.
What are the costs and processing options for the Tanzania Tourist eVisa?
The prices to apply for the Tanzania eVisa vary depending on the applicant’s nationality. The single-entry Tanzanian visa cost is different from the multiple-entry eVisa, available only for citizens of the United States.
iVisa currently provides the following price options according to your time and needs:
Tourist evisa - 90 days, single entry
- Standard processing - 15 Business Days, USD $108.99
- Rush processing - 13 Business Days, USD $150.99
- Super Rush processing - 11 Business Days, USD $197.99
All our processing fees for this visa include the Tanzania Government fee of USD $50.00 so you can pay all at once!
Tourist evisa - 1 year, multiple entry
- Standard processing - 15 Business Days, USD $118.49
- Rush processing - 13 Business Days, USD $131.99
- Super Rush processing - 11 Business Days, USD $147.99
These fees include the Government fee of USD $100.00.
Do minors need to apply for the Tanzania Tourist eVisa?
All visitors to Tanzania must have their own visa to enter the country unless their nationality is visa-exempt. This includes children younger than 18 years old who have their own passports.
Minors who are included on their parent or guardian's passport can be included on their parent's/guardian's visa.
How does the Tanzania Tourist eVisa look like?
Can I extend my Tanzania eVisa stay?
Travelers can extend their visa stay for up to 90 days after arrival in Tanzania. You can extend your visas for three months at a time up to a maximum of six months at the immigration office in Dar es Salaam. You cannot extend your visa online.
COVID-19 requirements for Tanzania.
- Vaccine requirements: There are no vaccine requirements in Tanzania.
- Test requirements: There are no test requirements in Tanzania.
- Quarantine requirements: There are no quarantine requirements in Tanzania.
Other visas offered by iVisa.com to enter Tanzania
Where can I learn more about the Tanzania visa?
If you have any more questions about applying for your visa to Tanzania feel free to contact our customer support team who are available 24/7 and always happy to help!
Required Documents to Apply
Business Registration of Inviting Company (if applicable)
Proof of Marriage or Spousal Relationship (if applicable)
Invitation Letter (if applicable)
The Tanzania Tourist eVisa is an electronic travel authorization that allows travelers from eligible countries to enter Tanzania.
If you what to know if your country is eligible to apply for this visa check our FAQs below.
American citizens going on a leisure trip can only apply for Multiple Entry Tanzania eVisas, as stated by this country's authorities.
This travel document is a single-entry visa. That means that you can visit the country only once with this visa and if you wish to return you will need to apply again for the visa.
The Tanzania Multiple Entry eVisa will be valid for 1 year after arrival, for stays of up to 90 days Per Entry.
You can extend your stay for up to 90 days in any immigration office after arrival in Tanzania.
The Tanzania eVisa, allows you to do tourism, leisure activities, attend conferences, humanitarian and charity activities, visit family, or receive health treatment.
You must have a passport with at least 6 months of validity from the date of arrival and have 1 page available for the visa stamp.
Having a Tanzania Tourist eVisa doesn’t mean automatic entry into the country.
The immigration officers at the port of entry may refuse your entry if they think that you can not fulfill the immigration requirements or if your presence in the United Republic of Tanzania would be contrary to national interests or security.
Don’t worry! iVisa reviews your visa application to make sure is error-free and 100% government- government-compliant, so you can avoid rejections from the government.
iVisa is a legitimate company, accredited and recognized by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). For more information, see the FAQs below.
Was this page helpful?
Related ArticlesRead more
How Citizens of the United States Can Enter Tanzania During Coronavirus
Please Note: The Health Surveillance for mainland Tanzania is no longer needed, however, if you are traveling to Zanzibar, Tanzania, you will still ne...Aug 2, 2021
Tanzania Visa for Citizens of the United States
If you will be vacationing in Tanzania as an American citizen, you will need to get your visa online at least a week or two before heading to Tanzania...Jul 30, 2019
My application couldn’t be completed due to an error. What now?
What can I do if my Tanzania Tourist eVisa application has been canceled or rejected?
Remember that iVisa carefully checks every application and reviews your documents, so there isn’t much room for mistakes that could lead to rejection. However, the Tanzanian government could become stricter and cancel or reject your application. In this case, iVisa will provide a full refund of the iVisa processing fee for the number of rejected applicants. Unfortunately, you can’t get a refund for the government fees.
According to your specific case, you may decide to re-apply with iVisa and obtain the Tanzania Tourist eVisa in the future.
After Submission Of My Application, How will I Know That My Visa Has Been Approved?
I Have Completed My Visa Application Online. But I Am Having a Problem Making Payment Using My Master Card. How Can I Proceed?
Do I need to get an e-Visa for each person who accompanies me?
Every visitor to Tanzania must hold their own visa to enter the country. The only exemption is if their nationality doesn’t need a visa to enter Tanzania. The guideline includes minors younger than 18 years old with their own passports.
If parents or legal guardians have children included on their passports, they can also be included on the parent’s/guardian’s visa.
Where can I read more?
- Tanzania eVisa for Citizens of India
- Tanzania eVisa for Citizens of Iran
- Tanzania eVisa for Citizens of the Philippines
- Tanzania eVisa for Citizens of the UAE: process and requirements
- Tanzania Visa on Arrival from Kilimanjaro Airport
- Tanzania eVisa for Citizens of Jordan: all you need to know to apply
- Tanzania eVisa from Ireland: how do Irish Citizens can get the visa
- How can citizens of Egypt enter Tanzania during coronavirus?
- How Citizens of the United States Can Enter Tanzania During Coronavirus
- How Citizens of Kenya Can Enter Tanzania During Coronavirus
- See All