Over 670,000 British citizens travel to Australia every year, largely thanks to a very similar culture, shared language and the nation’s revered weather conditions. Australia and the UK also share a monarch, and traveling between the two countries for these nationalities is usually relatively straightforward. Nevertheless, while UK citizens don’t require a paper or stamp visa to enter Australia, they need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) before arrival. This article will explain the rules and requirements for UK citizens to obtain an ETA.
What is an Australian ETA?
An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is required for entrance into Australia.
Unlike a traditional paper visa, the ETA is electronically linked to your passport and can be obtained from the airport or at an online travel agent. You can apply here
Do UK passport holders need a Visa to go to Australia?
UK passport holders do not require a paper or stamp visa to enter Australia, but they do need to get an ETA before arrival.
How Long can UK Citizens stay in Australia?
The ETA remains valid for one year. UK citizens may make multiple 90-day trips to Australia while the ETA remains valid.
Australian Visa for UK Citizens Fees and Costs
The multiple-entry ETA visa is currently free for UK citizens. Take extra care when filling out the application form on the Immigration Department website as errors can result in delays and refused entry.
Australia Visa for UK Citizens requirements
UK citizens need a valid passport and an approved ETA to enter Australia. In certain cases, such as if you’re aged over 75, you may need to undergo a health check before being issued with a visa. You may also be asked to provide evidence of your finances upon arrival.
How early can I apply for the Australia e-visa?
The requirements for a Australia Visa is that we can issue as soon as 12 months prior to the arrival date.
How Long Does It Take to Get an Australia Visa for UK Citizens?
UK citizens who apply for the Australia visa through the Department of Immigration website will usually receive their visa within one working day. It could take longer if you make errors or need to provide additional information. Alternatively, you can usually process your visa through iVisa.com in around 15 minutes.
Australia Visa for UK Citizens application form
You can find the application for your required visa by following the instructions on the Australian Department of Immigration website. Alternatively, you can cut out the bureaucratic process and fill out the application form on iVisa.com.
How to obtain an Australia Visa
You can obtain a visa for free by visiting the Australian Department of Immigration website and following the on-screen instructions. The process can be confusing at times but should be completed within a day. Take extra care not to make errors as this could cause significant delays in the processing time. Alternatively, you can head to iVisa.com and click the Visa Application button in the top-right corner of the screen to have your application checked and processed in 15 minutes.
How can I retrieve my Australia visa?
How does the Electronic Travel Authority look like?
What are the name format Rules & Examples for the Australian ETA?
It's important to enter your name in the correct order, see below for more info:
Special Characters Special characters must be converted to English characters (examples: Ü, Æ, Ö, Ă). Convert Now
Spacing Be sure to leave spaces between your names, when listed on the passport.
Bin/Binte S/O,D/O Do NOT include any of these abbreviations
Name Prefixes/Sufixes Do NOT list name suffixes (JR/SR/III) or Name Prefixes (MS/MR/MISS)
Apostrophes & Hyphens Include all apostrophes, except when there is a space on either side of the apostrophe.
(Example: O'Toole should be entered as is but 'Alofa should be entered as Alofa).
Can I work as a volunteer with an ETA/eVisitors visa?
In general, eVisitor Australia Visa holders can not work in Australia. However, you might be able to work as a volunteer if:
- Your main purpose in visiting Australia is tourism and the voluntary work is incidental to tourism
- The work is genuinely voluntary and you are not paid for it, other than for meals, accommodation
- The work would not otherwise be done in return for wages by an Australian resident
My passport is valid for less than six months? Can I still apply for a visa?
No. You have to contact you nearest embassy for more information on how to a apply. Or alternatively you have to apply for a new passport.
If I am only passing through Australia, do I need an ETA?
Technically you do NOT need an ETA if you are passing through (transit) the country and you will be no longer than 72 hours. HOWEVER, you must obtain a long and difficult transit visa here. For this reason we suggest all passengers obtain an ETA for $20 and keep things simple.
Is it safe to use iVisa to apply for my ETA?
Many people think that online information leaks and that their personal info is at risk of getting into the wrong hands. However, that is not the case with our services. We provide maximum safety for your personal data, confidentiality, and we invest a lot in the security of our database. Your personal information could not be safer.
The ETA is valid from the day it’s issued, which is why many British travelers leave the application until just a few days before their intended visit. However, because errors can cause serious delays and potentially result in a cancelled trip, you might want to join thousands of other satisfied customers by applying for your visa with ease at iVisa.com, an increasingly popular visa service that currently has an average rating of 9.5 on Trustpilot from over 1,800 reviews.
Apply for an Australia Visa
- Australia ETA Frequently Asked Questions
- Australia Visa for Canadian Citizens
- Australia Visa for UK Citizens
- Australian visa for Austrian
- Australian visa for Belgian citizens
- Australian visa for Danish citizens
- Australian visa for Finnish citizens
- Australian visa for French citizens
- Australian visa for German passport holder
- Australian visa for Greek citizens
- Australian visa for Irish
- Australian visa for Italian citizen
- Australian visa for Spanish citizens
- Australian visa for Swedish citizens
- Australian visa for Swiss citizens
- Australia visa for Andorrans
- Australia visa for Bruneians
- Australia visa for Dutch citizens
- Australia visa for Hong Kongers
- Australia visa for Icelanders
- Australia visa for Japanese
- Australia visa for Liechtenstein
- Australia visa for Luxembourg
- Australia visa for Malaysian
- Australia visa for Maltese
- Australia visa for Monegasques
- Australia visa for Norwegians
- Australia visa for Portuguese passport
- Australia visa for Sammarinese
- Australia visa for Singaporean
- Australia visa for South Korean
- Australia visa for USA citizens
- Essential Australia
- Surfing and enjoying with a Visa to Australia