Australia’s endless beaches, majestic deserts, and relaxed lifestyle make it a trendy spot for travelers from the United Kingdom seeking a sunny destination. However, when traveling to this fantastic country, remember that UK citizens need a valid Australian eVisito Visa or register for the Australian ETA.
You may wonder about which one you should apply for. This article will explain the main differences between the Australian eVisitor Visa and ETA and what the easiest way is for UK citizens to enter Australia. Let’s explore!
Do UK citizens require an Australian Visa to visit the country?
Yes, UK citizens visiting Australia need a visa or ETA. But before you dismiss the destination because of complex visa applications, don’t worry! UK citizens traveling to Australia do not need a traditional paper visa to enter Australia if they travel for tourism or business.
You can apply for the Australian eVisa or ETA, depending on your eligibility and needs. Read on for further details about the differences between the Australian eVisitor Visa and electronic travel authorization (ETA) for UK passport holders below.
Both documents can be easily obtained online, from the comfort of your own home.
Wha are the differences between the Australia eVisitor Visa and ETA for UK citizens?
Both the Australia eVisitor Visa and ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) are electronic visas that allow UK citizens to visit Australia for tourism or business purposes. However, there are some differences between the two.
Australian eVisitor Visa for UK citizens
Apply easily online for the Australia eVisitor Visa (also known as the electronic Australian Tourist Visa or Visa Subclass 651) for family visits, tourism, or business trips. In contrast to the ETA, it also allows travelers to study for up to three months in Australia.
The visa is electronically linked to your passport, so no Australian embassy visits are needed! You can kick-start the application process online in a few clicks through our platform and receive your eVisa via email after a careful review and our straightforward process. You’ll only pay for our service fee since there’s no government fee for this visa.
Eligibility criteria for the Australia eVisitor Visa
Before you apply, check if you meet all the eligibility criteria for this visa:
- You have a valid UK passport.
- You cannot apply with a non-citizen passport, certificate of identity, or another travel document (including a Titre de Voyage) or with a British National Overseas, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British Protected Person or British Subject passport.
What you can do with the Australia electronic visa
This visa allows you to:
- Visit family members or friends residing in Australia.
- Enjoy a cruise or holiday Down Under.
- Attend meetings and travel for other business purposes in the country.
- Enroll in a short course of up to three months.
Australia ETA for UK citizens
The Electronic Travel Authorization is similar to the eVisitor Visa but may differ in alloowed travel purposes and eligibility. The ETA also has a government fee of US$20, while the eVisitor is free of government costs. The ETA has the same validity as the eVisitor Visa and you can also apply 100% for it.
Despite UK eligibility, we recommend applying for the Australian Visitor Visa as it’s more flexible in travel purposes and is slightly cheaper.
Eligibility criteria for the ETA
The eligibility criteria for the Electronic Travel Authorization for Australia are:
- You’re a British Citizen or British Overseas National.
Remember that eligibility doesn’t guarantee visa approval.
What you can do with an ETA
The ETA allows you to:
- Visit family members or friends residing in Australia.
- Explore Australia during a cruise or holiday.
- Conduct certain business activities in the country.
If you’re from a country other than the UK, use our Visa Checker Tool to determine your options.
Other Australian visa options for UK citizens
- Australian Working Holiday Visa: British citizens can apply for this Working Holiday Visa Program to enter Australia if they want to travel and work there.
It allows travelers between 18 and 30 to stay for up to 12 months and work in the country. It’s ideal for a gap year, long holidays, exploring the country on a backpacking trip, short-term studies, or short work periods.
Remember, the eVisitor Visa allows short studies for up to three months (not work). So if a short training or studies is what you’re after, go for the eVisa instead.
Australian Student Visa: This visa is for UK students who want to study (temporarily) in Australia. You must be accepted into an Australian educational institution to meet the Australian visa requirements.
Australia Permanent Residency Visa: The visa application process to live permanently in Australia varies according to the reason for immigration. For example, you want to join a spouse, find work, or other purposes.
You must usually submit supporting documents to prove that you meet all Australian visa requirements, such as employer contracts, bank statements, a marriage certificate, and more.
Benefits of applying for an Australia eVisitor Visa with us
Rely on our services to enjoy a hassle-free experience. Get your eVisitor Visa with just a few clicks on our website or iVisa app. Here are some of the benefits of applying with us:
- Best chances of visa approval - Applying with iVisa maximizes your approval chances, ensuring an error-free application.
- Flexible form completion - Fill out your forms at your own pace, take breaks, and save progress.
- Guaranteed appointment scheduling - We’ll secure your visa appointment promptly, sparing you the search for available dates.
- Expert agent support - Receive end-to-end assistance for any doubt or worry.
- Real-time order tracking - Easily monitor your visa application process through your iVisa account.
I still have questions about traveling to Australia. Who can I contact?
Please contact our customer service team if you have any doubts about the eVisitor, Australian entry requirements, or other details about the application. We are always available via online chat and email at [email protected] to help and make travel easy for you.