Learn More: eVisa
Last updated: July 2022
Should you plan on visiting Ethiopia in the near future, you will likely need a visa. You can count on iVisa.com to make the online application process for the Ethiopia eVisa super easy. Travelers are no longer required to visit a consulate and apply in person, as you can apply online for the Ethiopia eVisa at any time and from anywhere.
In this article, you will learn what the Ethiopia e-visa requirements are, the costs of the visa, how to apply, and everything else you need to know about visiting Ethiopia. In addition, you’ll find the most up-to-date information about Ethiopia’s entry requirements during the COVID-19 pandemic, vaccination, testing, and quarantine.
What is the Ethiopia eVisa, and how can I get one?
This electronic visa is an official visa issued electronically by the Main Department for Immigration and Nationality Affairs. Applicants will receive the visa via email after filling out the application form with the necessary information.
Since June 2018, citizens from all over the globe have been eligible to apply for the Ethiopian eVisa. With this option, there’s no need to go to a consulate and apply in person. The traveler simply has to submit all the required information and documentation and pay the fee online.
You can get the Ethiopia eVisa by submitting the online visa application form on iVisa.com and get your travel document in just a few steps.
Who can apply for the Ethiopian eVisa?
All international visitors can apply for this electronic visa. Passport holders of 130 countries are allowed to enter Ethiopia for short trips with an eVisa. With this tourist visa, people can visit Ethiopia for a holiday, business meeting or family-visit, without hassle.
The Ethiopian eVisa is an official digital document that offers eligible citizens authorization to travel to and from Ethiopia. However, it’s not the same as a paper visa, as you will not get a stamp or sticker in your passport, and you don’t have to visit the embassy to apply.
According to the Ethiopian Visa Policy, citizens of only two nations, Kenya and Djibouti, can enter Ethiopia without a visa. Travelers of only two countries are eligible for a tourist visa on arrival: Hong Kong and Taiwan. This visa type can only be obtained at an immigration checkpoint at Addis Ababa International Airport.
Remember that by visiting iVisa.com and using the Visa Checker, you can find all the information about the e-visa that you may need for visiting Ethiopia.
How long is the Ethiopia online visa valid for?
For your Ethiopia eVisa to be valid, you can only enter the country at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. The Ethiopian e-visa is currently not valid at any other border posts.
You can use the visa for a Single Entry. You can choose for an e-visa with a maximum stay period of 30 days in Total or 90 days in Total.
Keep in mind that you can only use this online visa to visit family or for tourism purposes. If you need a visa for business purposes, check out the online application form for the Ethiopia Business eVisa.
What are the Ethiopia tourist visa requirements?
You need to submit only a few things during the Ethiopia eVisa application process:
- Your valid passport and a scanned copy of the first page with your personal details and passport number.
- An email address to receive your Ethiopian eVisa.
- A debit or credit card for payment of the service fee.
- A professional passport-size picture. Don’t have one? Use the convenient iVisa.com photo service.
Pay attention to the following points:
- The passport must have validity for at least six months from your intended date of arrival in Ethiopia.
- The copy must be visible and can’t be cropped.
- Your photo must be passport-sized, preferably as recent as possible.
- A residence permit is a requirement for foreign nationals who apply from a country other than the country of origin.
- Once you have all those documents at hand, you can proceed and fill out the visa application.
- Don’t forget that Ethiopia has very strict requirements for the visa photo. Click here to read the detailed photo guide.
Do I need the eVisa if I’m just transiting through Ethiopia?
You do not require an e-visa if you’re transiting through Ethiopia. It is important to note that if you plan on leaving the airport transit area to visit Addis Ababa, you will need to apply for a visa online, or at least contact your nearest Ethiopian Embassy to obtain a visa.
How can I apply for the Ethiopian e-visa online?
The Ethiopia eVisa application can be completed online in three easy steps:
- Step1: Provide basic information, such as your name, passport information, address, phone number, email address, and so on. At this point, you are also required to select the processing time of your Ethiopia eVisa application form.
- Step 2: The second step is a revision of what you have filled out so far, and making the payment. You can use a credit or debit card to pay for the visa and service fees.
- Step 3: Finally, upload any documents required. Once you have done that, you can hit the submit button and wait for your Ethiopia eVisa to arrive via email in the time frame you selected.
How much are the Ethiopia visa fees?
iVisa.com offers you three options to choose from to process your Ethiopia visa online application, depending on your time and budget:
- Standard Processing Time: This option takes 3 Business Days and costs USD 78.49. It is a perfect choice for travelers whose arrival date is at least a few weeks in the future.
- Rush Processing Time: You will receive your Ethiopia visa faster than the standard option, in just 2 Business Days for USD 139.99.
- Super Rush Processing Time: If you need the document urgently before travel, you can use this express option, which will take only 12 hours for a fee of USD 187.99.
I’m traveling with children, do they need an Ethiopian e-visa?
Yes, every visitor who wants to go to Ethiopia must obtain a visa, including children. If you decide to travel with children, make sure you have a valid birth certificate and/or adoption certificate with you, so you can avoid last-minute inconvenience. These requirements are valid for all children, whether they’re biological, adopted, or just traveling as a companion.
COVID-19: Ethiopia entry requirements
To ensure the safety of locals and visitors, Ethiopia has additional entry requirements in response to COVID-19.
Ethiopia has taken the following measures to limit the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
Testing requirements in Ethiopia
A negative COVID-19 test must be presented before boarding a flight for unvaccinated travelers. One of the following tests must be performed:
- PCR test performed max. 72 hours prior to embarkation.
- Rapid Antigen Test taken at least 24 hours before departure.
COVID vaccination passports or certificates are not mandatory to enter Ethiopia
Ethiopian restrictions for fully vaccinated travelers
A pre-arrival test is not required for fully vaccinated travelers and children under 12.
Approved vaccines are Johnson and Johnson, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm, Sinovac, Moderna, and Pfizer. You are considered vaccinated if all doses of a vaccine against SARS-Cov-2 have been administered for at least two weeks before traveling.
Since information may change quickly, we advise you to follow up on the latest Ethiopia travel updates and/or contact your local embassy.
Quarantine requirements for entering Ethiopia
- Quarantine requirements: There are no quarantine requirements.
Who can I speak to if I have more questions?
Required Documents to Apply
Passport Personal Details Scan
Last Page of Passport (if applicable)
The validity of an Ethiopian e-Visa starts from the date you intend to enter Ethiopia, not from the date of issue.
You need to have an ordinary passport with at least 6 months of validity from the date you intend to enter Ethiopia.
Travelers who apply for a tourist visa must have their passport/residence permit valid for at least six months from the planned date of entry.
Applicants who claim that to have a permanent residence permit in one of the eligible countries must upload the valid residence permit document.
The e-Visa is for tourism and family visits to Ethiopia only (no work or business activities are allowed).
You can use this type of visa ONLY if you plan to arrive by airplane to Addis Ababa Bole International Airport (at the moment, the e-Visa is not valid at any other border posts).
IMPORTANT: If you apply from a country other than the country of your nationality (for example, you are Canadian, but apply from the US), then you will be required to show your residence permit when you arrive in Ethiopia – this can be a letter or visa sticker in your passport.
Was this page helpful?
Our customers have great stories about us
Is iVisa.com a legitimate company?
Our Company is accredited and recognized by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and has a validated IATA Agency Code. If you want to check this information you can verify our membership using our bearing No. 23716873 at http://store.iata.org/ieccacfree.
Remember that the customer service team at iVisa.com is here 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about our service.
How long should my passport be valid for if I want to apply for the Ethiopia e-Visa online?
What are the yellow fever vaccination requirements to travel to Ethiopia?
A yellow fever vaccine is required if traveling from a country with risk of yellow fever transmission.
More information in the following link:
Can I get a multiple entry visa online?
Can I enter anywhere with this e-Visa for tourism or only at certain places/border posts?
Learn more about Ethiopia Tourism
Where can I read more?
- Ethiopia Visa for the citizens of Zambia
- Ethiopia Visa for Jordanian citizens
- Can I apply for an Ethiopia Visa Extension?
- Ethiopia visa for Swedish
- Ethiopia visa for Belgian
- ETHIOPIA VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR PAKISTANI CITIZENS
- ETHIOPIA VISA REQUIREMENTS
- Ethiopia Visa for the citizens of Zimbabwe
- ETHOPIA VISA FOR SOMALI CITIZENS
- ETHIOPIA VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR UGANDA CITIZENS
- Ethiopia Visa for the citizens of Nigeria
- Ethiopia visa for South Africa citizens
- Ethiopia Vaccine Requirements: Do I need a vaccine to travel to Ethiopia?
- Ethiopia visa fee
- Ethiopia Visa Policy: Learn More
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR US CITIZENS
- What is the process to get the Ethiopia 14 day quarantine requirement?
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR TANZANIAN CITIZENS
- Ethiopia visa for Italian
- Ethiopia evisa – Because the future is now
- Ethiopia visa for French
- Ethiopia visa for Brazilian
- Ethiopian Visa for Malaysian Citizens
- Ethiopian Visa for Tunisian Citizens
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF MALAYSIA
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR SPANISH
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR SOUTH KOREAN
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR KUWAITI
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR INDIAN CITIZENS
- Ethiopia visa for Canadian citizens
- Ethiopia visa for Polish
- Ethiopia visa application form
- Ethiopia visa for Chinese
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR GREEK
- Ethiopia visa for Australian
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF GHANA
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR FILIPINO CITIZENS
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR UK CITIZENS
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF SAUDI ARABIA
- ETHIOPIA VISA FOR THE CITIZENS OF YEMEN
- How to get your Ethiopia visa
- Ethiopia Visa for Lebanese citizens
- Ethiopia visa for Swiss
- Ethiopian Visa for Lebanese Nationals
- Ethiopia Visa for the citizens of Hong Kong
- Ethiopia visa for Dutch
- Ethiopian Visa for Ghana Nationals