Featured on

New Zealand visa types

New Zealand visa types
iVisa | Updated on Nov 02, 2018

When you want to go to New Zealand, chances are that you need a visa. New Zealand’s visa policy has a list of 60 jurisdictions whose citizens do not need to apply for a visa, but only as long as they do not remain inside the country for more than 3 months (6 for British nationals.) However, there many types of New Zealand visas, 5 to be more precise, and you need to apply for the one that you need.

Alt Text

New Zealand Visitor Visa

This is the most common visa people apply for. That is because most people who go to New Zealand, go there on vacation. Yet, not everyone needs one. Only people from non-visa waiver country must apply, as well as travelers from visa-waiver countries who want to stay in New Zealand for more than their visas are waived (6 months for British citizens, and 3 months for the rest of eligible nationalities.)

The things you can do in New Zealand on a Visitor Visa are limited. For example, you can go and study there, but no more than 3 months. The document can be obtained online, it is valid for 18 months, and you can stay in New Zealand for up to 9 months.

New Zealand Student Visa

If you are interested in studying in New Zealand, you can apply for a visa. The document allows you to stay inside the country only for the duration of your course. As far as work is concerned, you are entitled, but the amount of hours you can put in is limited. During your term, you can work up to 20 hours per week, but during the summer holiday, you are allowed to work full-time.

New Zealand Working Holiday Visa

People who are interested in going and working in New Zealand just for a season must apply for a visa. Typically, this type of visa grants you a 12-month stay, but if you are a British citizen, you can stay for 23 months. How long can you work? It depends on your nationality, but usually, you are allowed to work for three months for a single employer.

New Zealand Work Visa

If you are interested in getting a job in New Zealand, you need to apply for a work visa. However, in most cases, you need to have a job offer for your application to be approved. This type of visa grants you a stay equal to the duration of your job offer. Once your contract is up, so is your visa.

New Zealand Resident Visa

When you get a New Zealand Resident Visa, you are pretty much entitled to do whatever a native does. You can work, or you can choose not to. You can stay in New Zealand indefinitely. It is true that in some cases you need a job offer to apply, but that is only when you need to meet the point’s threshold. As you can see, there is more than one type of New Zealand visa. You must apply for the one that best suits your circumstances. iVisa can help you with some of them, but for the rest, some proper research is required.

Share this article on
Need Help?