The visa application process takes a little longer for visas to the Schengen area because you have to visit the embassy to submit your application and attend an interview as part of the application requirements. If you are planning to travel to the Schengen area, keep in mind that you will need to schedule your embassy interview ahead of time. Once you have submitted your application and completed the interview process, your application will be processed. Typically, visa applicants will receive the embassy's decision in about 15 days. However, processing times can vary and application processing can take up to 45 days.
You can submit your application up to 6 months prior to your trip. To ensure that there is enough time for your application to be processed before your trip, you should apply at least 3 weeks before you travel to the Schengen area.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the allowed max stay with a Schengen Visa?
Your max stay will depend on your reason(s) for travelling. The embassy will grant you a specific number of days that you are allowed per trip into the Schengen area.
What is the 90/180 rule?
Schengen visas, for the most part, follow the 90/180 rule. This rule restricts visitors to visiting the Schengen area for up to 90 days within 180 days. This does not mean that you will be guaranteed a 90-day max stay limit, nor does it mean that you are permitted to stay in the Schengen area past your visa's validity if you have not been in the Schengen area for more than 90 days within 180 days.
What do I need to know about going to the embassy?
When you go to the embassy, you will submit your application, submit your biometrics, pay for your application, and attend an interview. Schedule your interview prior to arriving at the embassy. When you submit your application, you will need to provide several documents. Depending on the type of visa that you are applying for, you may be asked to submit additional documentation, but all visas will need the following:
- Printed confirmation of your scheduled interview appointment.
- Current valid passport.
- 2 recent photos. Photos must be taken with a white background and can have no obstructions (glasses, hats, etc.) covering your face or ears. Additionally, the photos cannot be more than 6 months old and must be 5x5 inches.
- Bank statements for the last 3 months to show that you have more than enough money to cover the expenses of your trip (unless you are being sponsored by a company/institution).
- Accommodation details (hotel reservation or invitation letter).
- Medical Insurance with a minimum coverage of 30,000 Euros.
- Payment for the visa (Check with your local embassy to see what payment types are accepted).
We will give you a guide for the embassy and help coordinate your interview at the embassy. If you have any questions about the application process, please feel free to message our 24/7 chat service so that we may assist you.