Do I need an ESTA to travel from the UK to the USA?

Do I need an ESTA to travel from the UK to the USA?
iVisa | Updated on Feb 01, 2019

The United Kingdom is in the US Visa Waiver Program, so if you want to travel from the UK to the USA, you are eligible for a US ESTA. However, you must be a British citizen. Otherwise, the VWP does not apply to you. The ESTA is available online, and iVisa can help you get it in as little as 6 hours.

What are the requirements?

To get a US ESTA, you need to fill in an application form, but before you do that, we suggest that you gather everything you need for a smoother application process. The requirements are not challenging to meet. Here is what you will need:

  • Passport – you must hold a valid electronic passport with a digital chip that contains your bio-metric info. At the same time, the passport needs to be valid for at least another 6 months from the date of arrival in the United States.

  • E-mail address – the US ESTA arrives via e-mail, which is why you must have a valid e-mail address to which you have access. Once iVisa sends you the ESTA, do not forget to print out at least one physical copy of the document.

  • Means of payment – the payment must be made during the online application process, which is why you must have a method of online payment. iVisa accepts credit and debit cards, but you can also use PayPal, Alipay, or WeChat; whichever you find most convenient.

The application form

When you are ready to fill in the application form, just go to the right page and get started. You should not spend more than 20 minutes completing the form, and if you need assistance, iVisa has fantastic customer support. You can contact it via online chat or phone 24/7. The service is free of charge.

The application form has three simple steps. Step number one requires you to fill in the boxes with your personal information such as name, address, e-mail, phone number, and so on. Passport information and travel details are required as well. Plus, you must select a processing time option at this point. You are offered three options, and each of them has its own fee. They are as follows:

  • Standard processing time – This is the slowest option. Your application is processed within 2 days from submission, and you will be charged just $29.

  • Rush processing time – if you are looking to get your US ESTA sooner than 48 hours, the Rush option guarantees that you have your document in 12 hours. The cost this time is $59.

  • Super Rush processing time – since this is the fastest option you have at hand, it is the most expensive as well. You will be charged $79, but you can have your ESTA in as little as 6 hours.

Step number two asks you to make the payment and do a revision of the previous step. It is crucial that your application does not contain any errors. You cannot correct your form once it reaches the processing stage, and mistakes can invalidate your US ESTA.

The last step is when iVisa asks you to upload the supporting documents for your application. Once you are through, you can hit the submit button and all that is left for you to do is wait for your ESTA to arrive in the timeframe of your choosing.

So, to answer your question, you do need an ESTA to travel from the UK to the USA, but only if you are a British citizen and you do not plan to stay in the US for more than 90 days. The ESTA is valid for up to 2 years since issue, you can use it multiple times but you cannot stay for more than 90 days per entry.

Share this article on
Need Help?