M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa)

M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa)

iVisa | Updated on Mar 04, 2022

What is the M Visa?

The M Visa is part of the Student Visas provided by the US immigration service. This type of visa is temporary, and the purpose is to attend an American school. In order to determine whether you need an M Visa or another visa category, you need to confirm your course and type of school.

Fill me in

Are you ready to know more about the M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa)? We have all the information in the following lines.

Who can apply for the M Visa?

As states, the M Visa is available for students. In this case, the student needs to attend a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program.

Remember that the US government also offers F Visas for students. They differ from the M visa because of the study place and the course taken by the student.

All about the M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa)

How much does it cost to apply for the M Visa?

The US immigration service charges a USD 160 fee. You should also consider the SEVIS I-901 fee which you need to pay after the American institution has admitted you and you have entered the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Besides, check the costs associated with your interview and the documents you will need during the process.

iVisa.com can provide all the details about the M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa).

How long does it take to process my M Visa?

The M Visa has several stages that could take longer than expected. First, you must be accepted by an American educational institution and wait for SEVIS approval. After that, you can directly apply to the US embassy or consulate. According to the number of applications, season, and country, it could take a few weeks or months to schedule an interview. For these reasons, we can’t provide an exact processing time.

We recommend applying as soon as possible for the M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa).

Can I apply for an M Visa online?

Although you can do part of the process through online platforms provided by the US government, you can’t miss the in-person interview. For this case, you must attend the interview at the US embassy or consulate because authorities need to verify your identity and documentation.

The iVisa.com team has all the details about the M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa).

How do I submit my M Visa?

  • Apply for your school, and once you’re accepted, you will be registered in SEVIS. The institution will issue Form I-120 so you can start the process with the US embassy or consulate.
  • Fill out Form DS-160 with your information and attach the required photo.
  • Schedule and attend the interview. Don’t forget to bring all your documents with you.
  • Receive the M Visa and study in the United States!

Required documents

  • Valid passport. The validity of your passport must be at least 6 months after you leave the United States.
  • Form DS-160. Print the confirmation page.
  • Photo. Upload your picture to the previous form.
  • Application fee payment receipt.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students, Form I-20. You will receive this form once you’re in the SEVIS database. You and your school official need to sign this document.

Any students must be in the SEVIS database before moving forward with the visa process. Check Education USA for more details about studying in the United States and all the benefits you could have. The M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa) could be an opportunity to start an American life!

Tips for filling out the M Visa forms

  • Use black ink. Try to complete all your forms electronically and print them once you finish. You can also use black ink to fill the application.
  • Double-check your details and correct any mistakes.
  • All your documents must be in English or have official translations in English.

Let’s learn together more details about the M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa).

How does applying with iVisa.com work?

Confirm all the advantages you can have with iVisa.com.

  • Online forms with easy language. We have simplified complicated processes. You won’t need to waste any time trying to figure out difficult sentences.
  • Experts reviewing your documents. Your application won’t have a single mistake if you work with us.
  • 100% government complaint photos. We are also experts in photos for visas. We know the photo requirements of the US Government. We can support you!
  • Advice along the way. Any doubts? Our team is ready to solve them all.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to present more documents for my M Visa?

Although the US immigration service provides a list of documentation you need for your application, consular officers could ask you for more supporting documents. During your interview, you may need to present:

  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from the schools you have studied in the past.
  • Test scores that are mandatory by US schools.

Besides, you need to prove you will leave the United States after you finish your course and the financial means that will help you pay for your stay in the country.

Can I work under the M Visa?

In this case, we recommend visiting the USCIS website for more details as each application may have a special situation under the M Visa. Review the Students and Employment section. Also, you should check Form I-765 (Work Authorization Instructions).

Check all the benefits you may have as a student under the M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa).

Can I trust iVisa.com?

Of course! We have been supporting countless travelers, students, and immigrants in the dream to spend some time in the United States for all purposes. The M Visa (Non Academic Student Visa) is an opportunity to confirm that the United States could be a forever home.

I have some doubts. Who can I contact?

Communicate with our support agents, who are available 24 hours a day for any inquiries you may have.

Studying in the United States is possible with iVisa.com! We have all the information you need for your visa process!

Was this page helpful?