logo logo
en | $ USD

Woo Hoo! We've updated iVisa's brand! Hope you like it as much as we do.

CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa: A Complete Guide
iVisa | 6 min read | Updated on Dec 19, 2023

Please note that as of June 2022 the CDC no longer requires travelers to present a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID pre arrival to the US

Are you married to a U.S. citizen or green card holder? Do you want to live in the U.S. to stay together with your spouse? If that is the case, then you are ready to apply for the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa. Read the information below to learn more about it.

Fill me in

What is the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa?

The CR1 Visa is an immigrant visa created for foreign-citizen spouses that are married to U.S. citizens or permanent residents so that they can be together in the U.S. The CR in CR1 means “conditional resident”, which is why it is valid only for a couple of years.

But, who can get this visa? What are the documents required? We will explain the answers to all these questions and more in the article below.

Who is eligible for the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa?

The CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa can only be asked by your U.S. petitioner, which is why not only you, but the petitioner, has to meet these requirements:

  • The U.S. petitioner is a U.S. citizen or has a green card.
  • You (the foreign-citizen spouse) must be legally married to the U.S. spouse, meaning that the marriage must be valid.
  • The U.S. petitioner meets the visa income requirements. Once you get the CR1 Visa, you can travel to the U.S. and live with your spouse. Be aware that this is the best visa you can get if you are married to a U.S. citizen or U.S. green card holder and you have been married for less than two years. If you have been married for more than two years, you already are eligible for the IR1 Visa, which changes the “conditional” to the “immediate relative” (permanent residence).

All About the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa

How much does it cost to apply for the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa?

The price for the CR1 Visa might be a bit expensive depending on your circumstances, but keep in mind that all of the fees are necessary to process your visa the best way possible.

The total government fee is USD1,200, and it includes USD535 for the USCIS filing fee, USD445 for an NVC fee, and USD220 for the USCIS immigrant fee. Do not forget to add other expenses to this price, like the travel costs and the medical exam (the medical exam has an average cost of USD200).

If you decide to hire an attorney, you will also have to pay an extra for the attorney’s services as well.

The good news is that, once you get the CR1 Visa, you don’t have to worry about more expenses related to documentation until you want to update your legal status in the U.S. (for example, changing your CR1 Visa to an IR1 visa).

How long does it take to process my CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa?

The processing time for this visa was faster before 2018 than nowadays, so be aware of that while processing your documentation.

It can take between 7 and 10 months to get the CR1 Visa, including the visa interview. Keep in mind that what usually takes longer is the visa interview appointment, as it depends mostly on the workload at the nearest U.S. Embassy.

Can I apply for the CR1 visa online?

The initial part of the CR1 Visa process is online, including the petition that your U.S. spouse has to do. However, once the interview is scheduled, you will have to visit the nearest embassy or consulate to complete it.

How do I submit the CR1 Visa?

Submitting a CR1 Visa is always a bureaucratic process, but it is worth it so that you can have a legal residence while staying in the U.S. and live with your spouse. To submit this visa, both of you (your U.S. spouse and yourself) have to consider the following steps:

  • First: The first step in this process is to file a Petition for Alien Relative, or Form I-130 (this has to be done by the U.S. spouse). The U.S. spouse has to send this form to the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service).
  • Second: Once the USCIS approves the petition, it is delivered to the NVC (National Visa Center). After that, you will receive a case number to receive further instruction on what to do (however, this can vary a little if you already have an attorney or agent). In this part, you also have to complete Form DS-261 and offer your choice of address.
  • Third: You have to pay the required fee and offer the requested documents, after which processing will be started. After that, you will be scheduled for an interview at the embassy.
  • Fourth: Lastly, you have to attend the Interview with the required documentation and wait for your approval.

What are the required documents?

To apply for the CR1 Visa successfully, you must have the following items:

  • Form I-130— submitted by your U.S. spouse.
  • Form G-1145—this is an e-notification of the application.
  • DS-260—this is the electronic application for an immigrant visa.
  • Cover letter.
  • Proof of marriage with your U.S. spouse (the certificate of marriage).
  • Additional proofs of marriage, like photos of the wedding, for example.
  • Passport photos.
  • Proof of permanent residency.
  • Valid evidence of the end of any previous marriages (if necessary).
  • Medical examination forms.
  • Form I-864 (affidavit support).

Tips for Filling out the K-3 Visa for Spouse (Nonimmigrant Visa)

Getting the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa might be a bit difficult, especially when gathering the documentation required. At iVisa.com we have collected these tips that might be helpful for you:

  • Additional information for the interview like wedding photographs and so on are always necessary to confirm the relationship.
  • All the items in another language that is not the main language in which the application takes place must be translated.
  • Do not forget to take your original documents to the visa interview.
  • Always sign papers with black ink.

How does applying with iVisa.com work?

We can ensure that using iVisa.com is very secure because we are a professional visa provider that has been operating for many years. Besides, we always provide professional guidance to our clients, even if we do not offer the visa yet (just like this case, as we do not offer the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa yet). Our services include:

  • Application forms with understandable language. All of our forms make complicated government language easy to understand.
  • Team of specialists ready to evaluate your documents. We’ll evaluate your entire application to make sure it is error-free.
  • 100% government compliant photos. Use our photo service to get exactly the right photo, all from the comfort of your home. All you have to do is to take a selfie and our experts will ensure it meets the correct requirements for your visa type.
  • Professional guidance every step of the way. Our 24/7 customer service crew is always available to help you on your application journey.

Do not forget that we do not provide an online process to get the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa yet, but we might do it in the future.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I get divorced from my U.S. spouse?

If you get divorced from your U.S. spouse, you can still remove conditions on your CR1 visa and get a green card, but only with appropriate guidance if your marriage was entered into in good faith and not for immigration plans.

Is it safe to use iVisa.com to apply for the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa?

We do not offer the CR1 Visa | Immigrant Spousal Visa | Marriage Visa yet but we highly advise you to stay alert to our webpage as we might help you get this document in the future. Also, do not forget that our services are reliable thanks to our automated system. Besides, we have an excellent team ready to help you process your documents easier.

Where can I get more information?

Applying for a U.S. visa can be difficult, especially when traveling to the U.S. or getting a green card, which is why at iVisa.com we are ready to help you solve your doubts about it. Soon enough will be able to help you get the CR1 Visa more easily, but by now, feel free to contact our customer service center for more help about this document or other travel documents you are planning to get.

  • iVisa is NOT affiliated with any government agency. This site does not provide legal advice and we are not a law firm. None of our customer service representatives are lawyers and they also do not provide legal advice. We are a private, internet-based travel and immigration consultancy provider dedicated to helping individuals travel around the world. You may apply by yourself directly on the various government websites. The source of information: https://www.uscis.gov/

Stay in touch!

Join our newsletter to receive the best traveling tips

Thanks! Please check your email and confirm you want to join our Newsletter.

© 2014-2024 iVisa.com. All rights reserved. iVisa and iVisa logo are registered trademarks of iVisa.com.

en flag English
Intercom Chat