Same as many other nationalities, the citizens of Iceland are exempt from having to get a visa when they travel to Canada. Nonetheless, if you wish to go there by air, you are required to apply for a Canada ETA before your departure. Fortunately, the document can be obtained online, and if you use the services rendered by iVisa, you can have it in as little as half an hour.
Canada Visa for the citizens of Iceland – the requirements
Before you go ahead and fill in the form, we recommend that you make sure you can meet all the requirements. Fortunately, there is nothing to worry about because they are easy to fulfill. Here is what you need for the online application process:
- Valid passport – you cannot apply for a Canada ETA unless you are a passport holder. But that is not all. The travel document needs to maintain its validity for at least another 6 months from the date of arrival in Canada, so make sure to check your passport’s expiry date before you apply for your ETA.
- E-mail address – you need to provide iVisa with a valid address because the ETA confirmation is sent via e-mail in PDF format. While the ETA is electronically linked to your passport and you do not have to hold a physical copy, most people prefer to print one out, just in case.
- Means of payment – an online application process requires that you make the payment online as well. To that effect, you need to have a valid method of payment. iVisa accepts credit or debit cards, but you can also use PayPal, Alipay, or WeChat. Whichever you find most convenient.
Canada travel document for the citizens of Iceland – the online application process
For you to know what to expect when you fill in the application form, we will provide a short, step-by-step description of the process. However, you should know that if you need help at any time, you can contact iVisa’s customer support. The service can be reached 24/7 and does not charge you.
iVisa’s application form is split into three parts.
During the first part, you must provide your personal information, passport number, as well as some details regarding your trip. At the same time, you are required to choose a processing time for your application, a choice that determines the amount of money you spend on your Canada ETA. You are given three options:
- Standard processing – if time is not an issue, you can opt for the slowest and cheapest choice you have at hand. By choosing this option, your application for a Canada ETA is processed within 24 hours, and the cost is $19.50.
- Rush processing – speeding things up a little, this option delivers your Canada ETA within just 2 hours. The cost, on the other hand, goes a little higher. You are charged $49.50.
- Super Rush processing – if you choose this option, you can apply for your Canada ETA on your way to the airport. Your application is processed within just 30 minutes, but you are charged $69.50.
The second part is the moment when you must handle the payment and review your form. Please do not underestimate the revision because mistakes will invalidate your ETA and you have to repeat the process in that case.
The third and last part is the moment when iVisa asks that you upload the documents that support your application. When you are done, submit your request and iVisa will take it from there.
The bottom line is that the citizens of Iceland do not need a Canada visa per se, but you are going to have to apply for a Canada ETA. The travel authorization is valid for 5 years since the date of issue or until your passport expires in case that comes first. You can use it for multiple entries, and you can stay in Canada for no more than 180 days per entry.
Yixi (Sophia) Li is the co-author of this article. She is a licensed immigration consultant (RCIC) who has been working with an immigration law firm since 2016. She is also a licensed paralegal in Ontario and a notary public. She has a Masters of Law. In 2018, she founded Mainstay Immigration Law Firm and Yixi Li Legal Firm.