Featured on

Do I need a Canada ETA if I travel by land?

Do I need a Canada ETA if I travel by land?
iVisa | Updated on Aug 23, 2019

According to the visa policy of Canada, 54 nationalities are exempt from getting a visa if they wish to visit Canada for short-termstays. However, all those nationalities, except for US citizens, are required to obtain a Canada ETA before departure if they travel by air. As a result, if you travel by land and enter Canada through a US border or by sea, a Canada ETA is not necessary.

Canada ETA is essential only for air travel

A lot of people have the same question, but hopefully, we can clarify that for you. At the same time, if you do decide to travel to Canada by air, we can help you obtain a Canada ETA in as little as 30 minutes. All you need to do is provide some information and documents, and fill in an application form. You will need the following:

  • Valid passport – all applicants who wish to obtain an ETA must hold a valid passport that remains as such for at least another 6 months from the date of arrival in Canada. Also, keep in mind that an expired passport also means an expired ETA.

  • An email address – since the application process is entirely online, you will receive the ETA via email. That is why you need an address to which you have access.

  • Means of payment – for the same reason as above, you need to have an online means of payment. iVisa accepts multiple methods. You can use a credit or a debit card, but PayPal, Alipay, and WeChat are accepted as well.

Meeting the requirements is an easy task since you may already have all of the above. Nevertheless, there is one more thing you must do: fill in the application form. That is easy as well, and it should not take more than 20 minutes to complete. If you need help, iVisa has an excellent support service that can help you 24/7. The service is free of charge.

The application form has three steps. The first one asks for your biographic information, passport info, and some details about your trip. You are also required to select one of the three available processing time options. Each of them comes with its own price, and they are as follows:

  • Standard processing – if the circumstances allow it, you can go for the slowest and cheapest option. By choosing the Standard option, you agree to have your application processed within 1 business day. The cost of this option is $19.50.

  • Rush processing – if time is of the issue, you can choose this option and have your Canada ETA in your e-mail inbox in just 2 hours. However, you will be charged $49.50.

  • Super Rush processing – emergency situation call for the fastest processing time available. Your application is processed within 30 minutes, but the cost is a bit higher. The fee for this option is $69.50.

Step number two consists of payment and revision. You must make sure that your application does not contain any errors or typos. Otherwise, your Canada ETA will be invalid, and you need to repeat the process.

The last step is about documents upload. iVisa will ask for a copy of your passport’s information page, as well as additional documents should that be necessary. Once all three steps are complete, you can submit your application.

The bottom line is that you do not need a Canada ETA if you travel by land, but you do need one if you choose to fly there. The ETA you receive is valid for 5 years, but it can expire sooner if your passport does. The ETA grants multiple entries, and you can stay in Canada for up to 180 days per entry.

Share this article on
Need Help?