en | $ USD



Select Your Language

Select Your Currency

  • AED United Arab Emirates Dirham
  • AFN Afghan Afghani
  • ALL Albanian Lek
  • AMD Armenian Dram
  • ANG Netherlands Antillean Guilder
  • AOA Angolan Kwanza
  • ARS Argentine Peso
  • AUD Australian Dollar
  • AWG Aruban Florin
  • AZN Azerbaijani Manat
  • BAM Bosnia-Herzegovina Convertible Mark
  • BBD Barbadian Dollar
  • BDT Bangladeshi Taka
  • BGN Bulgarian Lev
  • BIF Burundian Franc
  • BMD Bermudan Dollar
  • BND Brunei Dollar
  • BOB Bolivian Boliviano
  • BRL Brazilian Real
  • BSD Bahamian Dollar
  • BWP Botswanan Pula
  • BZD Belize Dollar
  • CAD Canadian Dollar
  • CDF Congolese Franc
  • CHF Swiss Franc
  • CLP Chilean Peso
  • CNY Chinese Yuan
  • COP Colombian Peso
  • CRC Costa Rican Colón
  • CVE Cape Verdean Escudo
  • CZK Czech Republic Koruna
  • DJF Djiboutian Franc
  • DKK Danish Krone
  • DOP Dominican Peso
  • DZD Algerian Dinar
  • EGP Egyptian Pound
  • ETB Ethiopian Birr
  • EUR Euro
  • FJD Fijian Dollar
  • FKP Falkland Islands Pound
  • GBP British Pound Sterling
  • GEL Georgian Lari
  • GIP Gibraltar Pound
  • GMD Gambian Dalasi
  • GNF Guinean Franc
  • GTQ Guatemalan Quetzal
  • GYD Guyanaese Dollar
  • HKD Hong Kong Dollar
  • HNL Honduran Lempira
  • HTG Haitian Gourde
  • HUF Hungarian Forint
  • IDR Indonesian Rupiah
  • ILS Israeli New Sheqel
  • INR Indian Rupee
  • ISK Icelandic Króna
  • JMD Jamaican Dollar
  • JPY Japanese Yen
  • KES Kenyan Shilling
  • KGS Kyrgystani Som
  • KHR Cambodian Riel
  • KMF Comorian Franc
  • KRW South Korean Won
  • KYD Cayman Islands Dollar
  • KZT Kazakhstani Tenge
  • LAK Laotian Kip
  • LBP Lebanese Pound
  • LKR Sri Lankan Rupee
  • LRD Liberian Dollar
  • LSL Lesotho Loti
  • MAD Moroccan Dirham
  • MDL Moldovan Leu
  • MGA Malagasy Ariary
  • MKD Macedonian Denar
  • MNT Mongolian Tugrik
  • MOP Macanese Pataca
  • MUR Mauritian Rupee
  • MVR Maldivian Rufiyaa
  • MWK Malawian Kwacha
  • MXN Mexican Peso
  • MYR Malaysian Ringgit
  • MZN Mozambican Metical
  • NAD Namibian Dollar
  • NGN Nigerian Naira
  • NIO Nicaraguan Córdoba
  • NOK Norwegian Krone
  • NPR Nepalese Rupee
  • NZD New Zealand Dollar
  • OMR Omani Rial
  • PAB Panamanian Balboa
  • PEN Peruvian Nuevo Sol
  • PGK Papua New Guinean Kina
  • PHP Philippine Peso
  • PKR Pakistani Rupee
  • PLN Polish Zloty
  • PYG Paraguayan Guarani
  • QAR Qatari Rial
  • RON Romanian Leu
  • RSD Serbian Dinar
  • RUB Russian Ruble
  • RWF Rwandan Franc
  • SAR Saudi Riyal
  • SBD Solomon Islands Dollar
  • SCR Seychellois Rupee
  • SEK Swedish Krona
  • SGD Singapore Dollar
  • SHP Saint Helena Pound
  • SLL Sierra Leonean Leone
  • SOS Somali Shilling
  • SRD Surinamese Dollar
  • SVC Salvadoran Colón
  • SZL Swazi Lilangeni
  • THB Thai Baht
  • TJS Tajikistani Somoni
  • TOP Tongan Pa anga
  • TRY Turkish Lira
  • TTD Trinidad and Tobago Dollar
  • TWD New Taiwan Dollar
  • TZS Tanzanian Shilling
  • UAH Ukrainian Hryvnia
  • UGX Ugandan Shilling
  • USD United States Dollar
  • UYU Uruguayan Peso
  • UZS Uzbekistan Som
  • VND Vietnamese Dong
  • VUV Vanuatu Vatu
  • WST Samoan Tala
  • XAF CFA Franc BEAC
  • XCD East Caribbean Dollar
  • XPF CFP Franc
  • YER Yemeni Rial
  • ZAR South African Rand
  • ZMW Zambian Kwacha
Canada visa policy
4 min read
Updated on May 14, 2024

Visa Policy for Canada

The Canada visa policy provides all the details to enter Canada. According to your nationality, you may need a visa. Also, other factors could be essential for getting a visa, such as length of stay and the purpose of your trip. Don’t worry! You can find all the details about the Canada visa policy with us.

Fill me in

Nowadays, over 50 nationalities have the opportunity to enter Canada without the need to apply for a visa. This benefit is available for short-term stays. If your country belongs to this list, you will likely need to register with the Electronic Travel Authorization or eTA. This digital system assures that the Canadian Government has all your details before your arrival. Only citizens or permanent residents of the United States don’t need an eTA to enter Canada as there is a special agreement in place.

Any other nationality needs to obtain a visa from a Canadian embassy or consulate before planning the trip. In this case, you have the chance to choose from some alternatives according to the reasons for your trip. You have a tourist visa, business visa, work visa, student visa, and transit visa.

On the other hand, if you want to stay in Canada for an extended period, you may need to obtain a visa for this specific circumstance. Always check with the Canada visa policy for more details of the visa you need.

Tourist Visa Policy for Canada

In case you want to visit Canada to enjoy its tourism attractions, you have two alternatives for this purpose. The Canada visa policy has established that over 50 countries can enter Canada without the need for a visa. In this case, you can enter Canada for a short stay and do tourism, business, or transit activities. However, most of these countries need to have an approved eTA or electronic travel authorization before landing in Canada.

The case for Americans is different as they don’t need the eTA to enter Canada. They only need to present their US passport, passport card, or NEXUS traveler card for a stay of 180 days.

On the other hand, certain nationalities need to apply for a tourist visa through the Canadian embassy. For this process, you must complete an application and bring it along with the required documentation.

Make sure to check all the details in the Canada visa policy. We’re sure you will find the answer to all your questions.

eTA for Canada

The Electronic Travel Authorization or eTA is a digital authorization available for a group of countries. Once you receive the eTA, you will have a smooth entry to Canada. In order to apply for this travel document, you need the following:

  • A valid passport. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after you enter Canada.
  • A valid email address to receive the documentation.

As the eTA is electronically linked to your passport, you must carry the same passport you used for your procedure. If you obtain a new passport, you need to apply again for the eTA. This electronic authorization is valid for up to 5 years, and it allows a stay of 180 days in Canada. You have multiple entries with this travel document.

Travelers with the following characteristics don’t need to obtain an eTA before their trip to Canada:

  • Holder of a Canadian visa.
  • Flight crew members
  • Holder of diplomatic passports
  • Visiting armed forces
  • French citizens who reside and arrive from Saint Pierre and Miquelon.

We detail the countries that are eligible to obtain the eTA for Canada according to the Canada visa policy:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

Apply now

Other Visa Information for Canada

If you want to visit Canada for a longer period of time or you have purposes such as work, study, or residency, you need to get an appointment at the nearest Canadian embassy. Nowadays, over 190 nationalities need to acquire a visa through a Canadian embassy before traveling. In this case, it doesn’t matter the purposes or duration of stay. Let’s keep exploring more details with the Canada visa policy.

If you belong to these countries, make sure to complete the application provided by the Canadian Embassy or Consulate. You will need to arrange an appointment and provide all the required documentation depending on the visa you need. In this case, you can apply for a transit visa, student visa, business visa, or work visa. The validities of these visas will depend on the purpose of your trip and the details you could specify in your application.

The Canada visa policy also gives the possibility for certain nationalities to submit the application for a Canada visitor visa without the need to do it in person. Still, you will need to submit the biometric data.

In terms of a transit visa, US citizens and US permanent residents can travel through Canada for transit without the need for a visa. As well, some travelers with these guidelines are exempt from the Canadian transit visa:

  • Have a US visa.
  • Travel in these airlines: Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge, Air China, Cathay Pacific, China Eastern, China Southern, Hainan Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Westjet, Xiamen Airlines, or Air Canada Express flights operated by Jazz Air, Sky Regional Airlines, or Air Georgian.
  • Transit in a participating Canadian airport.
  • Clear US immigration and customs during Canadian Border Patrol pre-clearance on the same day.

You need to stay at the international transit area at all times, and you can use a US visa even if it has expired.

  • iVisa is NOT affiliated with any government agency. This site does not provide legal advice and we are not a law firm. None of our customer service representatives are lawyers and they also do not provide legal advice. We are a private, internet-based travel and immigration consultancy provider dedicated to helping individuals travel around the world. You may apply by yourself directly on the various government websites. The source of information: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html
Chat on WhatsApp
Intercom Chat