Does travel to Canada involve an ETA
iVisa | Updated on Sep 12, 2023

If you need to travel to Canada, you may need an ETA, but that depends on your nationality. Nowadays, applicants do not need to visit visa centers anymore, except for people who cannot assess computers or disabled people. On the other hand, as stated in Canada’s visa policy, 58 nationalities are visa exempt. As a result, they do not require a visa. They do, however, need to obtain a Canada ETA before departure. Except for the citizens of the United States. Also, an ETA is not necessary if you travel by land or by sea.

To learn which category of travelers you belong to, we recommend that you use iVisa’s Visa Checker. It is easier than to read Canada’s visa policy. The feature is simple to use. You can find in the top right corner of the page. All you have to do is access it, select your country of origin from the drag-down menu on the left, and in the right one, you need to choose Canada as your destination. If you need a visa, you will be given a list of the nearest Canadian embassies. But if you are visa exempt and in need of a Canada ETA, you will be redirected to the page from which you can apply.

What are the requirements?

One of the best things about Visa is that it does not ask for much. All that we need is some information and some documents so that we can get the process started. Here is what you need to provide:

  • Valid passport – all applicants who wish to obtain an ETA must hold a valid passport that remains as such for at least another 6 months from the date of arrival in Canada. Also, keep in mind that an expired passport also means an expired ETA, and a new passport implies a new ETA as well.

  • An e-mail address – since the application process is entirely online, you will receive the ETA via e-mail. That is why you need an address to which you have access.

  • Means of payment – for the same reason as above, you need to have an online means of payment. iVisa accepts multiple methods. You can use a credit or a debit card, but PayPal, Alipay, and WeChat are accepted as well.

How to apply for a Canada ETA

Once you put together the items above, you can move forward and fill in the application form. That is easier than you think. You should be done in 20 minutes or so, and if you need help, you can contact iVisa’s customer support. The service is available 24/7 and is free of charge.

We have broken down the form in three steps so that it is more convenient. Step one asks for your personal information, some passport details, and some info about your trip. You are also required to select a processing time for your application but bear in mind that your choice affects how much you pay for your Canada ETA. You are given three options:

  • Standard processing – if the circumstances allow it, you can go for the slowest and cheapest option. By choosing the Standard option, you agree to have your application processed within 1 business day. The cost of this option is $19.50.

  • Rush processing – if time is of the issue, you can choose this option and have your Canada ETA ready in just 2 hours. However, you will be charged $49.50.

  • Super Rush processing – emergency situation call for the fastest processing time available. Your application is processed within 30 minutes, but the cost goes higher as well. The fee for this option is $69.50.

The second step asks you to make the payment and take a quick look at the form to make sure that there are no errors. And the last step is when iVisa asks you to upload the necessary documentation. That is about it. Once you are done, submit your application and let iVisa do its job.

The bottom line is that travel to Canada may involve an ETA, but it depends on your nationality. You should first check your eligibility before anything else so that you know for sure. And in case you do need a Canada ETA, we are more than happy to help you apply.

Fill me in
Yixi (Sophia) Li is the co-author of this article. She is a licensed immigration consultant (RCIC) who has been working with an immigration law firm since 2016. She is also a licensed paralegal in Ontario and a notary public. She has a Masters of Law. In 2018, she founded Mainstay Immigration Law Firm and Yixi Li Legal Firm.

Let's stay in touch!

Join our newsletter to receive the best traveling tips

© 2014-2023 All rights reserved. iVisa and iVisa logo are registered trademarks of

English - en |