en | $ USD



Select Your Language

Select Your Currency

  • AED United Arab Emirates Dirham
  • AFN Afghan Afghani
  • ALL Albanian Lek
  • AMD Armenian Dram
  • ANG Netherlands Antillean Guilder
  • AOA Angolan Kwanza
  • ARS Argentine Peso
  • AUD Australian Dollar
  • AWG Aruban Florin
  • AZN Azerbaijani Manat
  • BAM Bosnia-Herzegovina Convertible Mark
  • BBD Barbadian Dollar
  • BDT Bangladeshi Taka
  • BGN Bulgarian Lev
  • BIF Burundian Franc
  • BMD Bermudan Dollar
  • BND Brunei Dollar
  • BOB Bolivian Boliviano
  • BRL Brazilian Real
  • BSD Bahamian Dollar
  • BWP Botswanan Pula
  • BZD Belize Dollar
  • CAD Canadian Dollar
  • CDF Congolese Franc
  • CHF Swiss Franc
  • CLP Chilean Peso
  • CNY Chinese Yuan
  • COP Colombian Peso
  • CRC Costa Rican Colón
  • CVE Cape Verdean Escudo
  • CZK Czech Republic Koruna
  • DJF Djiboutian Franc
  • DKK Danish Krone
  • DOP Dominican Peso
  • DZD Algerian Dinar
  • EGP Egyptian Pound
  • ETB Ethiopian Birr
  • EUR Euro
  • FJD Fijian Dollar
  • FKP Falkland Islands Pound
  • GBP British Pound Sterling
  • GEL Georgian Lari
  • GIP Gibraltar Pound
  • GMD Gambian Dalasi
  • GNF Guinean Franc
  • GTQ Guatemalan Quetzal
  • GYD Guyanaese Dollar
  • HKD Hong Kong Dollar
  • HNL Honduran Lempira
  • HTG Haitian Gourde
  • HUF Hungarian Forint
  • IDR Indonesian Rupiah
  • ILS Israeli New Sheqel
  • INR Indian Rupee
  • ISK Icelandic Króna
  • JMD Jamaican Dollar
  • JPY Japanese Yen
  • KES Kenyan Shilling
  • KGS Kyrgystani Som
  • KHR Cambodian Riel
  • KMF Comorian Franc
  • KRW South Korean Won
  • KYD Cayman Islands Dollar
  • KZT Kazakhstani Tenge
  • LAK Laotian Kip
  • LBP Lebanese Pound
  • LKR Sri Lankan Rupee
  • LRD Liberian Dollar
  • LSL Lesotho Loti
  • MAD Moroccan Dirham
  • MDL Moldovan Leu
  • MGA Malagasy Ariary
  • MKD Macedonian Denar
  • MNT Mongolian Tugrik
  • MOP Macanese Pataca
  • MUR Mauritian Rupee
  • MVR Maldivian Rufiyaa
  • MWK Malawian Kwacha
  • MXN Mexican Peso
  • MYR Malaysian Ringgit
  • MZN Mozambican Metical
  • NAD Namibian Dollar
  • NGN Nigerian Naira
  • NIO Nicaraguan Córdoba
  • NOK Norwegian Krone
  • NPR Nepalese Rupee
  • NZD New Zealand Dollar
  • OMR Omani Rial
  • PAB Panamanian Balboa
  • PEN Peruvian Nuevo Sol
  • PGK Papua New Guinean Kina
  • PHP Philippine Peso
  • PKR Pakistani Rupee
  • PLN Polish Zloty
  • PYG Paraguayan Guarani
  • QAR Qatari Rial
  • RON Romanian Leu
  • RSD Serbian Dinar
  • RUB Russian Ruble
  • RWF Rwandan Franc
  • SAR Saudi Riyal
  • SBD Solomon Islands Dollar
  • SCR Seychellois Rupee
  • SEK Swedish Krona
  • SGD Singapore Dollar
  • SHP Saint Helena Pound
  • SLL Sierra Leonean Leone
  • SOS Somali Shilling
  • SRD Surinamese Dollar
  • SVC Salvadoran Colón
  • SZL Swazi Lilangeni
  • THB Thai Baht
  • TJS Tajikistani Somoni
  • TOP Tongan Pa anga
  • TRY Turkish Lira
  • TTD Trinidad and Tobago Dollar
  • TWD New Taiwan Dollar
  • TZS Tanzanian Shilling
  • UAH Ukrainian Hryvnia
  • UGX Ugandan Shilling
  • USD United States Dollar
  • UYU Uruguayan Peso
  • UZS Uzbekistan Som
  • VND Vietnamese Dong
  • VUV Vanuatu Vatu
  • WST Samoan Tala
  • XAF CFA Franc BEAC
  • XCD East Caribbean Dollar
  • XPF CFP Franc
  • YER Yemeni Rial
  • ZAR South African Rand
  • ZMW Zambian Kwacha
Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) for Canada
3 min read
Updated on May 14, 2024

All travelers who wish to go to Canada must check what type of document is needed for them to enter the country. Most nationalities must apply for a Canadian Visitor visa online instead of physically visit the nearest Canadian Visa Application Center, but 58 nationalities are visa-exempt. However, the travelers who are visa-exempt (except for US citizens) must obtain an electronic travel authorization to enter Canada if they travel by air.

What is an ETA (electronic travel authorization)?

An electronic travel authorization, or an ETA, for Canada, is an electronic document that allows you to cross the border. It lets the Canadian government know who is planning to visit their country. While we call it a document, it is not necessary for its physical form. Instead, the ETA is electronically linked to your passport. All visa-exempt travelers must obtain one, and fortunately, it can be purchased online.

How to apply for an electronic travel authorization (ETA) for Canada

The online application process could not be more convenient, and iVisa can help with that. All you need is a passport, a valid e-mail address, and a means of payment that allows you to pay online (credit/debit card, Paypal). One important note here is that the passport should be valid for at least another 6 months from the date of arrival in the country of Canada.

Once you get the requirements, complete the application form. We have created a simple and short form that you should complete in no more than 20 minutes. If you need assistance, chat with one of our super operators 24/7.

The form we are talking about is broken down into three simple steps:

  1. Step number one requires you to fill out your data and information about your trip. At this moment, you need to choose a processing time. You are given three options, and they have different fees:

    • Standard processing – it has a low-priced and your electronic visa will be ready in 4 days. The cost of it is USD $60.49.

    • Rush processing – get your Canada ETA in only 2 days, but pay the amount of USD $107.49.

    • Super Rush processing – in some cases you need your ETA as soon as possible, so you can choose this and your virtual document will be completed in 24 hours and the price is USD $160.49.

  2. During the second step, you must make the payment and revise step one. Since corrections are impossible to make once the application is done, we recommend that you check your form for typos and other errors. Otherwise, your Canada ETA will be invalid.

  3. The last step asks you to upload the necessary documentation such as a copy of your passport’s information page. If additional documents are required, iVisa will let you know. After all three steps are complete; you are given the green light to submit your application.

All in all, an electronic travel authorization (ETA) for Canada is easy to obtain, especially if you apply online with iVisa. The electronic authorization has a validation for 5 years after issued or until passport expires. You are allowed Multiple Entry, but you cannot stay in Canada for more than 180 days Per Entry.

Fill me in
Yixi (Sophia) Li is the co-author of this article. She is a licensed immigration consultant (RCIC) who has been working with an immigration law firm since 2016. She is also a licensed paralegal in Ontario and a notary public. She has a Masters of Law. In 2018, she founded Mainstay Immigration Law Firm and Yixi Li Legal Firm.

  • iVisa is NOT affiliated with any government agency. This site does not provide legal advice and we are not a law firm. None of our customer service representatives are lawyers and they also do not provide legal advice. We are a private, internet-based travel and immigration consultancy provider dedicated to helping individuals travel around the world. You may apply by yourself directly on the various government websites. The source of information: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html
Chat on WhatsApp
Intercom Chat